Options

Sorry, why was Evander's opinion offensive?!

Comments

• Options
    CaptainRobboCaptainRobbo Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember you are not allowed to have individual thought that is separate from what the government determines what is correct for society.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    Err yeah if you say so :confused:

The irony you are showing is fantastic
    they are too stupid to even realise just how stupid they are.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Actually, it's far from 'dieing'...

Just because you live in a society where religion is on the decline, doesn't mean the same goes for the rest of the world. Religion will never 'die' out...
    Ahhhh okay. This thread should end here.
  • Options
    james2018james2018 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shades1 wrote: »
    well said OP !!

but sadly this forum loves all this PC drama and we are gonna have pages and pages of all this BS now .

Exactly, i'm gonna have to stay away from this place for a while.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sorry... but I don't think he said anything offensive. He just shared HIS opinion, which he should be allowed to have.

It's okay if gay people are allowed to fight for their beliefs, but not okay for someone who is religious and believes in God to share theirs?! What kind of world are we living in here?! I'm not saying his views are right or wrong BUTTTT he's allowed to have them as long as he expresses them in a civilized and respectful manner.

Completely ridiculous. It's basically double standards.

People shouldn't discriminate. That is all. Other than that, each individual is entitled to their own opinion - take the Digital Spy forum rules for example.
    Take what about the digitalspy forum rules?

Celebrity big brother has rules. They are freely available for any housemate to read, and I am pretty sure they are made clear beforehand. One of the rules is that language that may be offensive (racist, homophobic, threatening) is not permitted. Stephen Baldwin, another American conservative Christian, was visibly careful with his words when the conversation turned to homosexuality. If Holyfield does not want to comply by the rules of a secular European gameshow, he should not do it. Presumably he knows the way the land lies now.
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    no not to everyone which is why handing out warnings for things which doesnt offend everyone is stupid
    It seems absolutely ludicrous to me to suggest that something is only offensive if it 'offends everyone'. That would be nothing, and the house would be obliged to allow racism, insults relating to extreme sexual violence, everything. They really are entitled to tailor the rules to normal expectations re. British tv. It is not generally considered acceptable to say that gay people are broken and should get themselves fixed. It is right that that should be challenged.
    Stellen11 wrote: »
    Totally and utterly correct. If BB want a non thinking PC household then dont invite a christian on. Or a muslim. Or a jew. Religious views are your own and you should not be terrified to express them.
    What a gigantic straw man. We have had several muslims, a lot of Christians and several Jewish people. None of them have appeared frightened. BB invites, and the people themselves may accept or not as they choose; if they accept, they are accepting that they will be on a show where homophobic language is not allowed.
    It's not quite the same as gay people fighting for their beliefs.
    One is about fighting for the right to be treated equally, the other is about prohibiting others from the same rights as others.
    Perfectly put. :)
    jules1000 wrote: »
    As far as im concerned he can think and say whatever he wants. Some will agree and some won't. Simples.
    No one can 'say whatever they want', in any circumstances. Someone may want to put someone into a state of fear, or bully them, or abuse them on grounds of race, religion or sexuality; they may contrive lies that put someone into a state of great distress; they may endanger someone with false information.
    To be fair, Evander never said at any point that he does not like gay people...
    That really is not the point. Dismissing a whole section of humanity as being broken, and saying that they should just get themselves fixed and solve the 'problem' can hardly fail to be felt as a hostile attitude. It really wouldn't have made it any better if he had said, "but I know a gay person whom I don't hate".
    Remember you are not allowed to have individual thought that is separate from what the government determines what is correct for society.
    If you were thinking of writing dystopian fiction I think you are going to have to work on it a bit.
    james2018 wrote: »
    Exactly, i'm gonna have to stay away from this place for a while.

Off you trot then.
  • Options
    Flower PotFlower Pot Posts: 16,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fanntastik wrote: »
    I don't understand your point. Being gay isn't a disability so it is offensive for Evander to compare the two. Nothing to do with being a horrendous affliction.
    I'd say comparing homosexuals to handicapped people is offensive.
    why? being handicapped/disabled/whatever is not some obscene evil that makes it offensive to be likened to. posts like this are just as ignorant, ill thought out and disgusting to hear as evanders views. disabilities are variations in genetics just as homosexuality, that much was right in what evander was saying, so his comparison was logical but what was offensive was him saying they needed to be fixed, just as many disabled people may find that view offensive when applied to their disability.
  • Options
    FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flower Pot wrote: »
    why? being handicapped/disabled/whatever is not some obscene evil that makes it offensive to be likened to. posts like this are just as ignorant, ill thought out and disgusting to hear as evanders views. disabilities are variations in genetics just as homosexuality, that much was right in what evander was saying, so his comparison was logical but what was offensive was him saying they needed to be fixed, just as many disabled people may find that view offensive when applied to their disability.
    Nobody is saying that being disabled is some obscene evil. I don't understand why it's not clear why equating homosexuality to a handicap wouldn't be offensive?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, Evander never said at any point that he does not like gay people...
    exactly, he didnt appear to show any homophobia whatsoever, just complete ignorance due to the brainwahsing of his religion. people like him NEED debate on the subject in order for him to understand his views are wrong, he'll never be convinced otherwise
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    First he was saying gay people have a choice to not be gay, then he started comparing being gay to having a disability (which is not a choice).

He seemed quite muddled.

More crass and religiously brainwashed than muddled I would have thought.
  • Options
    PinkminxyPinkminxy Posts: 3,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't bothered by what he said at all. It's his opinion, he's free to share it. I actually don't think he meant to come across like he was comparing being gay to having a disability, but he was struggling in ways in which to explain what he meant properly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry... but I don't think he said anything offensive. He just shared HIS opinion, which he should be allowed to have.

It's okay if gay people are allowed to fight for their beliefs, but not okay for someone who is religious and believes in God to share theirs?! What kind of world are we living in here?! I'm not saying his views are right or wrong BUTTTT he's allowed to have them as long as he expresses them in a civilized and respectful manner.

People shouldn't discriminate. That is all. Other than that, each individual is entitled to their own opinion - take the Digital Spy forum rules for example.

Err, opinions aren't immune from being offensive. Or being libellous. Or breaking the law. Or stupid. Etc.

As for "as long as [t]he[y] expresses them in a civilized and respectful manner" - Yeah. Because you can really put across a civilised racist or homophobic opinion, right? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

The inference was that homosexuals could receive treatment. Presumably to be "cured".
  • Options
    SourGrapesSourGrapes Posts: 4,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His opinion was certainly offensive but it is his opinion and I want to hear it and have it debated properly rather than have him admonished by BB like him and us are children who cannot cope with differing opinions. This has the effect of stifling debate and how is that helpful to anyone.

Agreed - Big Brother is very safe these days. Under the rules they set out it clearly was offensive and they were always going to pull him up on it but I wish there was a little more room for debate

I remember being frustrated in BB11 that we never really got to see a proper debate between Dave and Caiomhe on these sort of issues as Dave was very careful about discussing anything like that. Under BB rules he was clearly doing the correct thing, but it would have been much more interesting to see two people with strong opinions having a good debate.
  • Options
    Odette ValmontOdette Valmont Posts: 1,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but being homosexual does not mean you are in any way handicapped, disfigured or unable to go about your life like any healthy person. So yeah, I stick by my initial statement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fanntastik wrote: »
    Nobody is saying that being disabled is some obscene evil. I don't understand why it's not clear why equating homosexuality to a handicap wouldn't be offensive?
    because in evanders mind, both are negative traits which need to be fixed. when in fact, neither are negative and its societys perception of them that need to be fixed.
  • Options
    AMS13AMS13 Posts: 1,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Many religions have evolved past that stage.

But evidently not the particular sects that Evander and Jim follow.

Evander is from America and various parts of the USA are strictly religious. Jim Davison stated that he found comfort from the Bible owing to the previous year. I think you might find the Koran has stronger views with regards sexual preferences than Christianity, if you want to bring other religions into the equation. I do not condone what Evander has said, but it was a private conversation, between an elderly gentleman and one other person. He stated his reasons behind the comment, based on his religious teachings.

Bigotry is someone who, as a result of their prejudices, treats or views other people with fear, distrust, hatred, contempt, or intolerance on the basis of a person's opinion, ethnicity, race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, socioeconomic status, or other characteristics.
  • Options
    snarieksnariek Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I said I thought the Bible was a piece of fiction, I'd fully understand a Christian finding that offensive. I wouldn't jump down their throat and call them unreasonable.

A member of the gay community has every right to be offended by what Evander said.
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member

Tell that to Evander :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So you think it would be ok for white people to label a black person as inferior to a white person?

I`m sick to death of people like yourself who attempt to justify homophobia or sexism yet condemn other forms of prejudice you cannot pick and choose which prejudice is more important than the other all prejudice is wrong full stop.

This form of passive homophobia that comes from people who say well I`m not homophobic but or I don`t agree but is really quite pathetic in 2014 because anything that comes before that "but" means jack sh*t.

There are laws now in place in this country that have put homophobia on exactly the same footing as racism with regards to discrimination, hate speech and hate crime its as simple as that.
  • Options
    smokencheesesmokencheese Posts: 2,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DrWho2005 wrote: »
    Why is it ok for you to say that and not ok for someone to say they dont like the gays?

Is it cooler for the young people to stand up for gay than it it is to stand up for religion?

Gays and religious people should both have the same right to speech and the same protection from haters. You can have a go at Religion and also complain about people having a go at gays

Because gay people tend to be real and don't cause suffering to others and religion is a crackpot fairytale that does.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snariek wrote: »
    If I said I thought the Bible was a piece of fiction, I'd fully understand a Christian finding that offensive. I wouldn't jump down their throat and call them unreasonable.

A member of the gay community has every right to be offended by what Evander said.

I wouldn't have thought any Christian would mind you saying that the Bible was a work of fiction. A faith has to be worth fighting for. I assume that you would not say that Christians need to go to a doctor and get 'fixed' via a long and painful process of extreme mental pressure.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    doop wrote: »
    So you think it would be ok for white people to label a black person as inferior to a white person?

I`m sick to death of people like yourself who attempt to justify homophobia or sexism yet condemn other forms of prejudice you cannot pick and choose which prejudice is more important than the other all prejudice is wrong full stop.

This form of passive homophobia that comes from people who say well I`m not homophobic but or I don`t agree but is really quite pathetic in 2014 because anything that comes before that "but" means jack sh*t.

There are laws now in place in this country that have put homophobia on exactly the same footing as racism with regards to discrimination, hate speech and hate crime its as simple as that.

Exactly! It's amazing how there are so many "everyone is entitled to their own opinion.....but only if it's a negative one about homosexuals". I can't believe how many people think it is okay to have a homophobic opinion, not realising it's as disgusting as a racist opinion. It's almost as though if something hateful is said calmly then it's suddenly okay!
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't have thought any Christian would mind you saying that the Bible was a work of fiction. A faith has to be worth fighting for. I assume that you would not say that Christians need to go to a doctor and get 'fixed' via a long and painful process of extreme mental pressure.

Atheist debaters have said far worse.
  • Options
    iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    He said being gay IS a choice. Considering he's not gay or bisexual himself, how would he know? It was an insensitive thing to say, and a very stupid thing to say on national television. And comparing it to handicapped people is going too far I'm afraid. He deserved the warning 100%.
  • Options
    HonestLeeHonestLee Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not about being PC or being a Liberal

It's about a bulls*** Bible-led way of thinking

also..

Men/Women who think same-sex relationships is a choice made are only judging by their own urges

THEY could swing either way and THEY'VE CHOSEN to go for the opposite sex for whatever reason (mostly guilt)so they think a gay man or woman has that same choice to make, they can't identify with being from one SINGULAR persuasion, anyone TRULY comfortable with their own sexuality feels no threat from Gay people

But regardless to 'my' opinion I still feel Evander has the right to his opinion too and shouldn't be chastised for his own belief just to avoid hurting others (jeez I'm sure Gays have had a tad worse)

No-one has the right to NOT be offended