Options

Naked rambler freed after six-year sentence, walks nude from prison

Comments

• Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Myself and my wife visited the Naked Village at Cape D'agde inthe South of France last year, completely on a whim. I've always been fairly easy about that sort of thing, but Mrs Max has never done anything like it in her life. The thing that shocked and surprised her more than anything was the number of families that were there.

It simply wasn't an issue for them - and the way the beaches were set up, nothing inappropriate went on in the mixed/family areas, which were absolutely heaving with all sorts of people of all ages, shapes and sizes (!).

I understand how alien this feels to someone who has been brought up in a fully clothed atmosphere where your private parts are just that.

However, once you visit somewhere like this, your attitudes can and do change and you consider matters such as public nudity in a completely different light.

Yes, I've read about it. It struck me as bit desperate to make some political point TBH. Apparently, if you do want to wear something (sounds crazy, I know:o) it's more appropriate to put on an upper body item of clothing than a lower body garment. Now why would that be if they weren't trying to make a particular point about the display of one's genitals, as opposed to a general point about the 'freedom' of nakedness?
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    No it hasn't, at the time real criminals avoid justice we continually lock up someone who has done nothing wrong.

He's broken an ASBO and many people get locked up for that not just him.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Elyan wrote: »
    Because it's offensive to the overwhelming majority of people.

We have to keep up some level of decency in public. It's not some big hippy commune. I don't even like seeing men walking around a supermarket without a top on in the summer. It's vulgar. Put on a t shirt.

how do you know it's offensive to the overwhelming majority of people?

is something being offensive to an overwhelming majority of people a reason to make it illegal? i am not aware of any principal in law that gives you the right to not be offended.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »

is something being offensive to an overwhelming majority of people a reason to make it illegal? i am not aware of any principal in law that gives you the right to not be offended.

Call it a hunch but I reckon the majority would find someone walking around the streets with their dick hanging out offensive.

Indecent behaviour is offensive.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member

Section 5 of the Public Order Act covers it.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well, the fact that the overwhelming majority of people don't behave like him, combined with the fact that no-one (other than a few determined contrarians) defends him , is kinda a clue, isn't it?

As for making offensive things illegal, we've done so for lots of other behaviour, from sexism to racism to excessive swearing etc. There's no inalienable right to do and say whatever you want to.
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    and yet for some reason the naked bike ride through london is perfectly ok for the authorities. 1 naked person is bad but 1000s is ok
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    and yet for some reason the naked bike ride through london is perfectly ok for the authorities. 1 naked person is bad but 1000s is ok

Honestly, some people do seem to struggle with this whole 'time and a place' concept, don't they?:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member

So when the bike ride is over do the individuals continue riding naked day in day out or is it just for this one event?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, the fact that the overwhelming majority of people don't behave like him, combined with the fact that no-one (other than a few determined contrarians) defends him , is kinda a clue, isn't it?

As for making offensive things illegal, we've done so for lots of other behaviour, from sexism to racism to excessive swearing etc. There's no inalienable right to do and say whatever you want to.

I think you are making an incredible leap from the fact that most people are not naked to the vast majority of people find it extremely offensive. it's startling really.

there is no inalienable right to do or say whatever you want. and there is no inalienable right to not be offended.

it's interesting what you say about sexism and racism. because you couldn't be more wrong. it's not about offence, that plays no part in the law, it's about discrimination. if i want to say i don't like the french, or a woman's place is in the home, i am free to say that, no matter how offensive you may find it. because the law is not based on what you find offensive. there have been times in the past, and that didn't go so well.

given that i am publicly allowed to state that i can't stand one race of another, or homosexuals should burn in hell or any offensive bile, that is definitely offensive to the vast majority of people and break no law....

...why should that you find seeing someone's wang offensive make it illegal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Honestly, some people do seem to struggle with this whole 'time and a place' concept, don't they?:confused:

through central london is the place. middle of the day.

that is the time and place. not rambling through the countryside. that is unacceptable.
  • Options
    chaffchaff Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ironically, naturism is unnatural human behaviour. We began wearing clothes well over a hundred thousand years ago, to cope with reduced temperatures. The only communities left where near-nakedness in everyday life is normal are the tribes in the rainforests and equatorial regions. In all other climates the natural thing to do is to wear clothes that help regulate body temperature, keep us clean, dry, and protected from the elements.
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member

i had the misfortune of seeing some of them sitting on their bikes waving their little dicks around at passersby
  • Options
    jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    chaff wrote: »
    Ironically, naturism is unnatural human behaviour. We began wearing clothes well over a hundred thousand years ago, to cope with reduced temperatures. The only communities left where near-nakedness in everyday life is normal are the tribes in the rainforests and equatorial regions. In all other climates the natural thing to do is to wear clothes that help regulate body temperature, keep us clean, dry, and protected from the elements.

The trouble is that this pragmatic wearing of clothes for protection and warmth has been turned into an eleventh commandment, where almost any nakedness in public is wrong and is seen as some sort of threat.
    i had the misfortune of seeing some of them sitting on their bikes waving their little dicks around at passersby

Are you sure that was what they were doing.:confused:
  • Options
    nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But it is not necessary to wear anything in appropriate circumstances, such as a naturist beach, sauna or swimming pool. The swimming costume is absolutely useless. It doesn't keep you dry or warm, quite the reverse. It is uncomfortable. It is also unhygienic and pointless in a sauna, akin to taking a bath with a bikini on, and yet in the UK it is expected in most circumstances that you cling grimly on to swimwear which is completely counter productive and stupid. The Germans and Dutch think it is beyond comic, and many go naked as a matter of course in their spas, but might not necessarily be 'naturists.' It is just the accepted cultural and polite thing to do there by all ages.

But we have a very tediously over sexualised society that automatically sees the naked body as something that is always sexual.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackthom wrote: »
    almost any nakedness in public is wrong and is seen as some sort of threat.

That's because it's abnormal behaviour. In a society where wearing clothes is the norm, exposing your genitals in a public area where such behaviour is not expected is not only grossly inappropriate but can easily be considered threatening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think you are making an incredible leap from the fact that most people are not naked to the vast majority of people find it extremely offensive. it's startling really.

there is no inalienable right to do or say whatever you want. and there is no inalienable right to not be offended.

it's interesting what you say about sexism and racism. because you couldn't be more wrong. it's not about offence, that plays no part in the law, it's about discrimination. if i want to say i don't like the french, or a woman's place is in the home, i am free to say that, no matter how offensive you may find it. because the law is not based on what you find offensive. there have been times in the past, and that didn't go so well.

given that i am publicly allowed to state that i can't stand one race of another, or homosexuals should burn in hell or any offensive bile, that is definitely offensive to the vast majority of people and break no law....

...why should that you find seeing someone's wang offensive make it illegal.

Oh, it's become 'extremely' offensive now, has it?:confused: Interesting that you've ignored the other part of what I said - that almost nobody is defending him. Clearly there's no civil liberty case to be made here.

As for discrimination, who do you think came up with the idea that certain types of discrimination are illegal? That would be society, as represented by our elected legislators. The same society whose wishes you seem determined to ignore.

Frankly I'm a bit baffled by the BIB. Have you missed out a 'not' there? If you start making those sorts of statements in public (or, indeed in digital media) you will indeed find that you are breaking the law. That's the point.
  • Options
    nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's because it's abnormal behaviour. In a society where wearing clothes is the norm, exposing your genitals in a public area where such behaviour is not expected is not only grossly inappropriate but can easily be considered threatening.

Does the same apply to women?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Are you sure they weren't bicycle pumps or something?:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nancy1975 wrote: »

Of course. Why wouldn't it?
  • Options
    jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member

Maybe it would seem less threatening if we were more relaxed about recreational nakedness, in parks and on beaches for example.

That seems to work for many europeans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nancy1975 wrote: »

It's equally as inappropriate, but perhaps wouldn't be seen as threatening as a naked man would be, for obvious reasons.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Frankly I'm a bit baffled by the BIB. Have you missed out a 'not' there? If you start making those sorts of statements in public (or, indeed in digital media) you will indeed find that you are breaking the law. That's the point.

You serious? What law do you think I'd be breaking?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's equally as inappropriate, but perhaps wouldn't be seen as threatening as a naked man would be, for obvious reasons.

What reason would that be? Why is a naked man threatening? Threatening to whom?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What reason would that be?

Think about it for a while, and ask me again if you really can't think of any reason.