Options

Abi Alton - Wake Me Up (Avicci cover)

Comments

• Options
    David_MorganDavid_Morgan Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soeplepel wrote: »
    Since when does an opinion make you deluded? What if someone really thinks her version is flawless?

From the Psychology today website
    Delusional disorder refers to a condition associated with one or more nonbizarre delusions of thinking—such as expressing beliefs that occur in real life such as being poisoned, being stalked, being loved or deceived, or having an illness, provided no other symptoms of schizophrenia are exhibited.

Delusions may seem believable at face value, and patients may appear normal as long as an outsider does not touch upon their delusional themes. Mood episodes are relatively brief compared with the total duration of the delusional periods. Also, these delusions are not due to a medical condition or substance abuse.

So, Abi fans would not be delusional if there was some credibility to statements on the lines of "Abi is flawless", but Abi's performances are hugely flawed, so her fans must be delusional. Is she the most flawed contestant? No. But she is not perfect. Not even close.
  • Options
    staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear god stop taking everything so literally.

It's a personal opinion whether you think something is flawless or not. You clearly can't handle other people's opinions so I really don't think forums are for you.
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To me, it looks like she's sitting in somewhere like a bathroom, which makes it rather echoey? Maybe it would sound better in a different location?
  • Options
    SoeplepelSoeplepel Posts: 24,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the Psychology today website

So, Abi fans would not be delusional if there was some credibility to statements on the lines of "Abi is flawless", but Abi's performances are hugely flawed, so her fans must be delusional. Is she the most flawed contestant? No. But she is not perfect. Not even close.

The fact you even googled it makes it even more sad. It doesn't even make sense with what I said, but hey.. you've tried though.

Anyway, I wasn't talking about Abi fans. I was talking about in general, I for one did think she sounded flawless and I'm far from an Abi stan. I didn't like her voice on the show but this made me shut up for those 3 minutes. Take a seat and make it less embarrassing for you next time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact you even googled it makes it even more sad. It doesn't even make sense with what I said, but hey.. you've tried though.

Anyway, I wasn't talking about Abi fans. I was talking about in general, I for one did think she sounded flawless and I'm far from an Abi stan. I didn't like her voice on the show but this made me shut up for those 3 minutes. Take a seat and make it less embarrassing for you next time.

You cut me to the quick.

But you'll not get me listening to any more of the Virgin Teen's soporific warbling; I heard enough on the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You cut me to the quick.

But you'll not get me listening to any more of the Virgin Teen's soporific warbling; I heard enough on the show.

Then your ass better not be on the next Abi thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then your ass better not be on the next Abi thread.

Will you be daring me to jump off a bridge next?

I've heard her, several times, I have formed an opinion based on what I've heard and shall exercise my right to voice that opinion as I see fit. Or not, depending on just how bored I am.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will you be daring me to jump off a bridge next?

I've heard her, several times, I have formed an opinion based on what I've heard and shall exercise my right to voice that opinion as I see fit. Or not, depending on just how bored I am.

Oh, interesting. Dragging artists when you're bored. Sounds like the definition of a troll.

I just don't see why you'd be on an Abi thread while you just said you don't want to hear anything from her again. Stop contradicting yourself.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, interesting. Dragging artists when you're bored. Sounds like the definition of a troll.

I just don't see why you'd be on an Abi thread while you just said you don't want to hear anything from her again. Stop contradicting yourself.

This is still the discussion part of the forum isn't it? Or did I miss a memo?
    If you wish to state your undying love and hail Abi as the savior of popular music without having your opinions contested then I suggest the appreciation thread would safeguard you from having to read critisism of your goddess!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't see how it is contradictory to say I think Alton's a bit sh!t and to also say I'd rather not hear her music again. I'm on the thread because I think her fans are demonstrating poor taste and need to be told before they embarrass themselves - it's a public service, not trolling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rangermick wrote: »
    If you wish to state your undying love and hail Abi as the savior of popular music without having your opinions contested then I suggest the appreciation thread would safeguard you from having to read critisism of your goddess!

Well said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, and we're having a discussion right? So, what's the problem?
    I'm not a fan of Abi actually. Get your facts right before you join the discussion, better luck next time.
    I don't see how it is contradictory to say I think Alton's a bit sh!t and to also say I'd rather not hear her music again. I'm on the thread because I think her fans are demonstrating poor taste and need to be told before they embarrass themselves - it's a public service, not trolling.

Wait, you're saying their opinion should be the same as yours? You say they're not allowed to love Abi's voice? Oh, wow. You just reached the highest level of embarrasment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, and we're having a discussion right? So, what's the problem?
    I'm not a fan of Abi actually. Get your facts right before you join the discussion, better luck next time.

Oh right you are then! I'll just watch, if that's alright with you!
    Are you here for the 5 minute argument or the full half hour?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh right you are then! I'll just watch, if that's alright with you!
    Are you here for the 5 minute argument or the full half hour?

Im here as long as it takes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im here as long as it takes.

Ok. Good luck. Mum's the word! ^_^
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait, you're saying their opinion should be the same as yours? You say they're not allowed to love Abi's voice? Oh, wow. You just reached the highest level of embarrasment.

That's the thing about taste - it isn't subjective it's normative. Some people have bad taste, do you want me to just walk by, without offering to help? Without telling them? That seems cruel. You cruel person.

And you can love the sound of Ms Alton's voice, that's fine; all I have said is that it is not perfect - often it is the imperfections that we love. Her music, on the other hand, is sh!t; dreary, over-wrought, doggerel. I can only assume her music is meant to strike a chord with angst-ridden teeny girls and make them feel better about being ugly and not having a boyfriend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the thing about taste - it isn't subjective it's normative. Some people have bad taste, do you want me to just walk by, without offering to help? Without telling them? That seems cruel. You cruel person.

And you can love the sound of Ms Alton's voice, that's fine; all I have said is that it is not perfect - often it is the imperfections that we love. Her music, on the other hand, is sh!t; dreary, over-wrought, doggerel. I can only assume her music is meant to strike a chord with angst-ridden teeny girls and make them feel better about being ugly and not having a boyfriend.

What kind of BS have I just read? You're doing the most...

Taste is an individual's personal choice and preference, which is subjective. If you think someone's taste is bad then that's only YOUR opinion. Same for clothes, you can say someone style is bad, but that doesn't mean they think it's bad.

It's getting worse for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What kind of BS have I just read? You're doing the most...

Taste is an individual's personal choice and preference, which is subjective. If you think someone's taste is bad then that's only YOUR opinion. Same for clothes, you can say someone style is bad, but that doesn't mean they think it's bad.

It's getting worse for you.

No it is not! If it were there would be no such thing as bad taste, but there is. Taste is not objective, but it is not subjective either; it is about group membership - it is normative. The dominant taste is that of the most powerful social group, they form what is often called an hegemony - defining what is acceptable, the standard by which we are judged. If taste were "subjective" there could be no such thing as fashion and the pop-charts would not exist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it is not! If it were there would be no such thing as bad taste, but there is. Taste is not objective, but it is not subjective either; it is about group membership - it is normative. The dominant taste is that of the most powerful social group, they form what is often called an hegemony - defining what is acceptable, the standard by which we are judged. If taste were "subjective" there could be no such thing as fashion and the pop-charts would not exist.

Taste is a personal preference and choice, one can say someone's taste is bad but who's taste is bad then? I mean, it's not because you say their taste is bad, that it actually is.

Fashion is all about opinions, you don't like it then that's an opinion and probably because it doesn't fit with your taste. But does that make the other one's taste bad? No it doesn't.
  • Options
    staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lmao I can't @ people basically saying taste is a fact. It's CLEARLY an opinion, I'm sure we all think our own tastes in everything are good and certain others are bad if we don't like them. Dear god.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taste is a personal preference and choice, one can say someone's taste is bad but who's taste is bad then? I mean, it's not because you say their taste is bad, that it actually is.

Fashion is all about opinions, you don't like it then that's an opinion and probably because it doesn't fit with your taste. But does that make the other one's taste bad? No it doesn't.

Shared opinions - so not subjective. It's not personal reference, but group preference.

And why is the term "bad taste" so prevalent if it has no meaning? That's a rhetorical question.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lmao I can't @ people basically saying taste is a fact. It's CLEARLY an opinion, I'm sure we all think our own tastes in everything are good and certain others are bad if we don't like them. Dear god.

I didn't say taste was "a fact" that would make no sense. I am saying it is not subjective, it is not just a matter of "opinion".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shared opinions - so not subjective. It's not personal reference, but group preference.

And why is the term "bad taste" so prevalent if it has no meaning? That's a rhetorical question.

I've seen alot of ridiculous things but your comments just beat it everytime.

The fact you even think your "taste" is superieur than the taste of the members here......
    Especially not when you stan for Misha B :kitty: What a bad taste you have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen alot of ridiculous things but your comments just beat it everytime.

The fact you even think your "taste" is superieur than the taste of the members here......
    Especially not when you stan for Misha B :kitty: What a bad taste you have.

I am happy and comfortable in my taste in music. Misha will never make a record I would buy, I think RnB is for children, but she is a highly accomplished performer - gauging that's not a matter of taste, but simple observation.

And regardless of whether my taste is superior, taste is not subjective - there are standards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am happy and comfortable in my taste in music. Misha will never make a record I would buy, I think RnB is for children, but she is a highly accomplished performer - gauging that's not a matter of taste, but simple observation.

And regardless of whether my taste is superior, taste is not subjective - there are standards.

And the members on here aren't?

"Taste has standards".. Shaking my head so hard right now it gives me a headache.

It's simple utter hate, that's all.