Options

"Ban Car Boot Tuck Shop!"

Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ban car boot tuck shop: Parents rage at trader hawking junk food to kids at school gates

With a car boot full of fizzy drinks, crisps and sweets, it is hardly surprising that he is popular with pupils.

But parents and teachers are furious at the mobile trader who has set up shop at the gates of their school.

They accuse him of shamelessly cashing in on their children’s appetite for junk food – and in one of the worst areas for childhood obesity in the country.

Using his people carrier as a makeshift shop complete with signs and a till, the trader was selling 500ml bottles of fizzy drinks for 50p and bags of crisps for 30p – around half the price of shops.

But his days of dubious enterprise could be numbered.

The local council is considering outlawing him from the vicinity of the school after receiving complaints from parents. Ellis Guilford School in Nottingham, catering for 1,350 children aged 11 to 16, is in an area where a staggering 40 per cent of teenagers are overweight.

-Full story

Personally I'm inclined to think a minority of whinging parents should stfu and stop trying to impose their own views on everyone else, but I'm open to being persuaded otherwise :D

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Full story

Personally I'm inclined to think a minority of whinging parents should stfu and stop trying to impose their own views on everyone else, but I'm open to being persuaded otherwise :D

??? Parents have every right to be concerned about what's available to their children! Fizzy drinks should be banned full stop IMO. Not caring about your child's diet is tantamount to neglect.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about not giving your kids money?
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    orangebird wrote: »
    ??? Parents have every right to be concerned about what's available to their children! Fizzy drinks should be banned full stop IMO. Not caring about your child's diet is tantamount to neglect.

Then parents should be in control of their kids, they're the ones at fault not this guy.
  • Options
    Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a wide chasm of difference between showing concern for your children and saying "nobody should have this thing because I don't agree with it" though.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

Parents give the children money, so they stop this bloke is it going stop the children going to any other shop.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Lets hope he's insured or the Police will be taking an interest in him too!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then parents should be in control of their kids, they're the ones at fault not this guy.

It doesn't work like that though does it? If children think they can sneak a treat when their parents aren't about, most would. The parents aren't there to control their children. If it was as simple as that you wouldn't bother getting a babysitter when you go out for the evening.

There's a wide chasm of difference between showing concern for your children and saying "nobody should have this thing because I don't agree with it" though.

Is there anything remotely nutritious about fizzy pop at all? It makes you fat, raises your blood sugar level and rots your teeth. If parents don't know this, it's sheer uneducated ignorance. If they don't care, it's wilful neglect regarding their child's health.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets hope he's insured or the Police will be taking an interest in him too!

insured for what?
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Well I suppose parents are entitled to object to someone hanging around the school gate selling stuff that is bad for their children. But I went to school that was close to several sweet shops. I didn't spend a fortune on sweets and fizzy drinks because I didn't have enough money to do so. If parents are giving their children enough money to make it worth this guy's time then that's their responsibility really.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    It doesn't work like that though does it? If children think they can sneak a treat when their parents aren't about, most would. The parents aren't there to control their children. If it was as simple as that you wouldn't bother getting a babysitter when you go out for the evening.

Is there anything remotely nutritious about fizzy pop at all? It makes you fat, raises your blood sugar level and rots your teeth. If parents don't know this, it's sheer uneducated ignorance. If they don't care, it's wilful neglect regarding their child's health.

And the government must also be guilty of mass wilful child neglect for allowing fizzy pop to be sold for consumption by children, and gaining money from it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the stuff he was selling was unclean or unhygienic, then yeah I'd agree. Otherwise, the kids should spend their money the way they want. They can decide for themselves what they want to eat at that age.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    3sweet5u wrote: »
    insured for what?

Using his vehicle for business for start.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    The parents shouldnt moan, they should just give their kids money for what they need. If kids need money for the bus then make sure they have the fare and no more.

If the children are using their own money, then its a bit different although as parents they should have the final say what their kids have possession of.

To me it just seems that rather than expain to their children why they arent giving them money for sweets, or explaining how eating too much junk can affect their health, its a lot easier to just shout and scream about the bad man selling sweets to their children.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    I don't see any fat kids in those pictures..
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    It doesn't work like that though does it? If children think they can sneak a treat when their parents aren't about, most would. The parents aren't there to control their children. If it was as simple as that you wouldn't bother getting a babysitter when you go out for the evening..

Yes it does work like that; teach them about what not to eat from an early age, don't let them take money to school (why the need to anyway?), be more strict with them, give them rules.

All this blaming others pisses me off and so does making excuses for them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

And what about fruit juices and smoothies?,

They very often contain more sugar than any fizzy drinks do.
  • Options
    BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bung some yellow lines outside the school. To be honest, every school I've seen has lines/hatching outside and you can't park anywhere near the gates/entrance.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Using his vehicle for business for start.

More importantly, as soon as you start making cash transactions from a vehicle, there's suddenly a whole host of legislation that you need to adhere to. Yes, your vehicle needs to be correctly insured (no longer just SDP). Then you need to have public liability insurance as a business. Plus you need to have a mobile food trading licence from the council, and you need to be subject to food hygiene certification. Plus he needs to be VAT registered.
    You can't just take your van, buy a load of stock from Makro and set up a burger van or tuck shop.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    More importantly, as soon as you start making cash transactions from a vehicle, there's suddenly a whole host of legislation that you need to adhere to. Yes, your vehicle needs to be correctly insured (no longer just SDP). Then you need to have public liability insurance as a business. Plus you need to have a mobile food trading licence from the council, and you need to be subject to food hygiene certification. Plus he needs to be VAT registered.
    You can't just take your van, buy a load of stock from Makro and set up a burger van or tuck shop.

Which is a shame. In Italy people set up stalls everywhere selling juicy melons. I have even seen road side stalls in Colorado selling lovely peaches.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »

You only need to be VAT registered if you meet the VAT threshold.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D Remember the fish suppers through the school railings scandal when the schools forced healthy meals on the kids!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And how to they do that when they are at work? Pray do tell?

Kids need money for school lunch as well, or even if there is an emergency.

It is up to the parents to educate their kids about junk food and do the best to feed them well at home. The problem is that too many parents feed their kids takeaway junk food in the week - you can see them all queuing in the takeaways every Friday evening and at the weekends.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there are something interesting things here

1) why the hate on this guy, one of many, many people who sell this type food, the location of his car, does not justify the outrage.

2) way back when I was at school, we had an ice cream van on site, but things have changed

3) one of my schools banned kids from going off site at lunch time, without their parents permission, so in theory his only are the ones who go home for lunch, so if he is getting more customers, then its partly down to the school.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does he have a license to trade?
    if not, what he's doing is ILLEGAL, and should be brought to book!
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The only soft drinks I consume happen to be fizzy pop. I don't drink anything else other than alcoholic drinks. Can't stand still juice drinks as they taste weak and watery and fresh fruit juices just don't quench a thirst. I am neither fat (stick thin actually) and nor do I have rotten teeth. I don't know about blood sugar levels as I'm not diabetic so unless this happens to be the case I'm in no way concerned and contrary to belief they don't make me hyper either. YOU want them banned because either you don't happen to like them or you maybe you have issues with putting on weight but please don't speak foe the rest of us.

It's not fizzy drinks or junk food which has led to child obesity. It's lack of exercise. Like sitting on your backside on a discussion forum instead of spending time doing something more active.

Kids meals are far healthier now than in my day when everything was fried with chips followed by stodgy puddings and we were far healthier because kids then got fresh air and exercise to burn it off unlike today when kids are glued to a phone or a games console sitting on their backsides in their bedroom.