Options

Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe (Series 2) - BBC2 Thursdays, 10pm

Comments

• Options
    DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    Some good stuff.

Brooker's face after the bingo joke was great.
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cracking episode. Clunk is destined for greater things
  • Options
    CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not enough Charlie, way too much filler.
  • Options
    Dare_AllanDare_Allan Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Immigrants take skilled jobs too - look at the IT industry, Just google India and H1-B visas and read all the posts by US IT workers bitchin' about Indian programmers.

The vast majority of jobs in IT are not highly skilled.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the first time in my life I laughed at a Limmy skit.

He has three series and a couple Christmas specials on BBC Scotland because he's banging one of the Execs there. Not a joke in any of them.

I guess Brooker wrote his skit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    Don't know who Limmy is and didn't really like him. Is he going to be a regular feature does anyone know?

Loved the rest though, great first ep!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do people think Brooker would be interested in turning his stuff into a Daily Show style riff, every day, 5 days a week, we could definitely use something like that here. Isn't this the sort of thing Dave would kill for?

I've been thinking this since he started a few years ago. The UK is sadly lacking satirical TV, personally I'd replace the sycophantic One Show with a proper Satirical Half Hour on BBC 1.
  • Options
    macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Philomena Cunk is disturbingly close to Brian Cox on screen.
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dare_Allan wrote: »
    Do people think Brooker would be interested in turning his stuff into a Daily Show style riff, every day, 5 days a week, we could definitely use something like that here. Isn't this the sort of thing Dave would kill for?

I've been thinking this since he started a few years ago. The UK is sadly lacking satirical TV, personally I'd replace the sycophantic One Show with a proper Satirical Half Hour on BBC 1.
    Given that from various reports he struggles to get six weekly episodes out on time five nights a week seems like a complete pipe dream.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know who Limmy is and didn't really like him. Is he going to be a regular feature does anyone know?

Loved the rest though, great first ep!

I really, really hope not. Ask anyone in Scotland who has sat through a whole half hour of one of his shows - (btw no-one in Scotland knows anyone who watches his show but it keeps getting recommissions - as I said, banging one of the Execs).

At least on Screenwipe his skit raised a smile which has never happened in the history of his TV show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    Given that from various reports he struggles to get six weekly episodes out on time five nights a week seems like a complete pipe dream.

Its as close as it gets in the UK and compared to dire trite like 10 O'Clock live, maybe with the right support, 15 mins a day, 15 mins interview it would work. Of course he might annoy the guests, Jon Stewart seems to be a people person, I think Brooker is more like me.

Yeah I know its probably a pipe dream. But we really need a daily satire show in the UK and on primetime BBC I think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    I really, really hope not. Ask anyone in Scotland who has sat through a whole half hour of one of his shows - (btw no-one in Scotland knows anyone who watches his show but it keeps getting recommissions - as I said, banging one of the Execs).

At least on Screenwipe his skit raised a smile which has never happened in the history of his TV show.

Oh dear. Hopefully more Charlie in next week's instead of this Limmy chap then. At least his bit was relatively brief.
  • Options
    logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those who dont like Limmmy, Youtube Limmys show Mr Mulvaney. A business man who commits minor crimes. It's very funny imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear. Hopefully more Charlie in next week's instead of this Limmy chap then. At least his bit was relatively brief.

I've not been through the credit list. But I wonder if there is a new BBC Scotland Exec just gone producer on Wipe. Would be a real shame cos more Limmy is not to be encouraged.
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,205
    Forum Member
    The vast majority of jobs in IT are not highly skilled.

Yeah, right (Rolls eyes)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not been through the credit list. But I wonder if there is a new BBC Scotland Exec just gone producer on Wipe. Would be a real shame cos more Limmy is not to be encouraged.

I imagine that Brooker calls the shots on who appears on his show, i'd never heard of Stanhope until he done a bit in an episode of wipe.
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its as close as it gets in the UK and compared to dire trite like 10 O'Clock live, maybe with the right support, 15 mins a day, 15 mins interview it would work. Of course he might annoy the guests, Jon Stewart seems to be a people person, I think Brooker is more like me.

Yeah I know its probably a pipe dream. But we really need a daily satire show in the UK and on primetime BBC I think.

Its worth remembering of course that Brooker's shows tend to have a much broader sweep than The Daily Show ever does. Its hard to imagine Jon Stewart giving a review of Big Brother during The Daily Show for example. In fact I suspect part of the problem with a UK version of The Daily Show would be that the UK just isn't big enough to sustain it. Hell The Daily Show itself struggles to keep the wheels moving and they've got the likes of Fox News, MSNBC and CNN keeping them going. A weekly or twice weekly show might be a better goal.

I'll also say that I'd be much more interested in something closer to the spirit of The Colbert Report than The Daily Show and actually I think that might be a better fit for the UK in general.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, right (Rolls eyes)

Most jobs in IT are "Helpdesk" the vast majority. These are not skilled jobs, they are "read a script" jobs.

As Doug Stanhope said, how ****ing meaningless must your job be to get a Bulgarian tramp to outperform you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    after youve just walked across a desert!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member

Limmy can be funny in small doses, who is he banging btw?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Limmy can be funny in small doses, who is he banging btw?

Sadly I've never found it online, buts a Glasgow street rumour and as such hard to get the back up. But then you wont find the well known info in Glasgow about ASLEF senior exec John Gahagan's links to the drug trade either. The internet isn't the be all and end all.

It might be wrong. But seriously, go to Scotland, try and find someone who thinks "limmy's Show" is funny. It's had 3 ****ing series and 2 Christmas specials all heavily trailed and gets awful ratings.
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,205
    Forum Member
    Most jobs in IT are "Helpdesk" the vast majority. These are not skilled jobs, they are "read a script" jobs.

As Doug Stanhope said, how ****ing meaningless must your job be to get a Bulgarian tramp to outperform you?

I don't think the H1-B are used for helpdesk. Helpdesk is usually outsourced to another country.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    Sadly I've never found it online, buts a Glasgow street rumour and as such hard to get the back up. But then you wont find the well known info in Glasgow about ASLEF senior exec John Gahagan's links to the drug trade either. The internet isn't the be all and end all.

It might be wrong. But seriously, go to Scotland, try and find someone who thinks "limmy's Show" is funny. It's had 3 ****ing series and 2 Christmas specials all heavily trailed and gets awful ratings.

"but seriously, go to Scotland" Umm I live in Scotland, Limmy can be mildly funny, on occasion
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't really like the Cunk bit about time. I get what it was mocking, but it just sorta dragged.

Needs more Brooker and a bit more Shitpeas too. Other than that, brilliant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "but seriously, go to Scotland" Umm I live in Scotland, Limmy can be mildly funny, on occasion

Three Series funny?

And moreover aren't BBC Scotland still required to pay some sort of attention to the ratings.