Options

Mark Duggan ~ the guy shot by police

Comments

• Options
    BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    1MJ1 wrote: »

A minor branch of one of the trade unions, but I stand corrected all the same.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yellowpark wrote: »
    Sorry i didn't mean to upset you, I was just stating the facts.

You didn't upset me I too was stating facts
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1MJ1 wrote: »
    Why? Because the police lawfully killed him as judged by a Jury of his peers?

Basically, yes. The family can stamp their feet as much as they like, but it won't result in whatever yellowpark is hoping for.
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geoff_Mack wrote: »
    I'd refrained from passing comment whilst the investigation and inquest were ongoing, here are my views which I now feel I can legally express...

Great post - especially the death-in-custody stats. Very depressing that no journalists or politicians have bothered to point this out.
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are you saying Mark was black?

Lets have some facts and accuracy please..

You're on a wind-up aren't you?
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry i didn't mean to upset you, I was just stating the facts.

Yeah was nothing factual in that post at all...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does she mean by judgement day ?

Anyway to me it looks like it has to take a white women for the police to treat people equally,to have better relations.

Sounds like a threat to me.

As for the second part, that certainly looks like racism to me...
    But its only wrong when racism affects black people though.
  • Options
    yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're on a wind-up aren't you?

How can I be on a wind up when it's facts I'm saying?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You haven't stated a single fact. It was Geoff Mack who stated the facts about deaths in custody, and the jury which stated the facts about this particular death.

You seem a bit delusional to me, or possibly just trolling.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What facts? You have been asked to supply them. Go on then. Give us the facts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    You haven't stated a single fact. It was Geoff Mack who stated the facts about deaths in custody, and the jury which stated the facts about this particular death.

You seem a bit delusional to me, or possibly just trolling.

No. I'm saying Mark was not black, I just like accuracy, that's all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He was of mixed race.

Then perhaps you can explain why others are making it a "black" issue?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somner wrote: »
    Wow. This, one hundred times over. Best post of the thread, easily.

Thank you.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's an idea folks. This thread has managed 221 pages without incident. Yellowpark is clearly spoiling for a fight. What say we just ignore him rather than indulge his moronic ramblings with a response? All those in favour say "aye".
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The deaths pile up each year, and it has been a shocking 42 years since any officers have been found guilty

Accuracy like deaths piling up each year you mean?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great post - especially the death-in-custody stats. Very depressing that no journalists or politicians have bothered to point this out.

I suspect as it doesn't suit their agenda - The Guardian would never get into this.

Daily Mail, well, you'd think they would but they tend to do stats months after the story.

Mirror and Sun - their readers probably wouldn't get it!
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Which is what the other member posted. Did you bother to read the links he kindly provided - if you do pay particular attention to what BAME means.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We regularly get a headline, oft repeated here, about how many "deaths in custody" there are, but very few people read any further than that, and attempt to understand what comes within those figures.

I hope more people read your post, and digest it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great post Geoff, I agree with it all, but don't want to reply to it all so have only included bits.
    Firstly, the question of race.

Duggan wasn't shot because he was black. He was shot because he was illegally in possession of a firearm and coupled with his history of criminality (both convicted and intelligence only) meant that officers legitimately and understandably felt at threat when confronting him.
    Anyone claiming he was shot because of his race is in fact the racist, they are the ones that are saying he got shot because of the colour of his skin.

When in fast he got shot for ignoring Police Instructions whilst they were trying to arrest him for possessing an illegal firearm.
    The aftermath of the verdict

Firstly, the reaction of Duggan supporters was repulsive - we're given to understand there were threats made (some of which we heard on TV) and damage to the court.

The police took no action. I feel this is wrong but we can understand, if not agree with why - they didn't want to trigger another riot.

This suggests that the British police are being held to ransom by the criminal fraternity because people, as described above, are using this case for their own agendas.
    It is wrong, and this isn't the first time the Police seem to have just rolled over on matters like this. Just look at how the acted over the riots.
    Rather than dealing with it, they just stood by and watched.
    I note Bernard Hogan-Howe was asked on Channel 4 News if the "death was avoidable" to which he gave some lily livered politicians answer.

What he should have said was "absolutely, he [Duggan] could have avoided this by not obtaining a firearm".
    Which is entirely true, but then people like Duggan and his family don't exactly like to acknowledge the fact they do anything wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is what the other member posted. Did you bother to read the links he kindly provided - if you do pay particular attention to what BAME means.

Mark was mixed race, (Black and White) why do people say mix race people are black when they are mixed race?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What deaths are these piling up Auntie?
    Probably the ones that caused by the gang her criminal nephew belonged to...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's an idea folks. This thread has managed 221 pages without incident. Yellowpark is clearly spoiling for a fight. What say we just ignore him rather than indulge his moronic ramblings with a response? All those in favour say "aye".

"Aye".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done in hunting out the trolls there TrollHunter :D
  • Options
    SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    We regularly get a headline, oft repeated here, about how many "deaths in custody" there are, but very few people read any further than that, and attempt to understand what comes within those figures.

I hope more people read your post, and digest it.

We do indeed! Here's my stock reply about Deaths in police custody.
    In 2012/2013, there were 15 deaths in or following police custody. 7 of them were of individuals with a mental health concern. 9 of them were of individuals who had used drugs or alcohol, been under the influence of or been in possession of such drugs or alcohol. In 5 of the deaths the individual was restrained during or before police contact (4x police, 1x public) though the restraint wasn't said to have been the cause of death in all 5.

1 had a seizure on the way to the police vehicle, was taken to hospital by ambulance and died. (No suggestion the police caused his death)
    1 was restrained by members of the public when trying to rob a betting shop. Officers arrived informed him he was under arrest. They were concerned for his health, an ambulance was called and he was pronounced dead at the scene. Post mortem found the cause of death as asphyxia. (Yes, this is counted as a death in police custody, but notice how the actions causing death were not police action)
    1 was arrested on arrival in the UK. During interview he became unwell and was transfered to hospital. He died 2 days later. No cause of death at present, however a number of drugs packets were found inside his body. (No suggestion the police caused his death)
    1 woman was arrested in her flat. She was subsequently left unsupervised in the flat and fell from her window causing fatal injuries. (She shouldn't have been left unsupervised admittedly, but who's actions caused her death?)
    1 shot himself whilst retrieving something from his car after arrest. (Again shouldn't have been left unsupervised, but was self inflicted)
    1 before arrest, had taken a load of paracetamol, cut his wrists and hadn't eaten for days, and died in hospital a couple of days later. (No suggestion the police caused his death)
    1 was found to have died from heart disease a few hours after returning from hospital to police custody. (No suggestion the police caused his death)
    1 had to be restrained with belts and became unresponsive, taken to hospital where he died - asphyxiation. (Due to police actions, though none were found to be disproportionate)
    4 were taken ill in custody and taken to hospital. 1 was lung cancer, the other had multiple cardiac arrests. (So 2 which the police didn't cause). 2 are still awaiting cause of death.
    1 died in hospitalafter being detained under the Mental Health Act - he was restrained with straps and incapacitant spray was used.
    1 died in Magistrates custody (but still counts as police because he had been in police custody prior!)
    1 was tasered by police and died a number of months later.

Source: http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/sites/default/files/Documents/research_stats/Deaths_Report2012-13.pdf
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25686732

The family, and "community leaders" know this too, so they cant wipe their hands of it if trouble does erupt. The timing, and location makes clear the intentions.
    I see the gathering has started, with the usual SWP mob milling around, and no doubt all manner of trouble maker will be attracted.

As a result of this, the Police Station is closed for the day, so anyone wanting to go there for legitimate reasons, cant. :confused:

There was no trouble. All passed off peacefully.