Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 26)

Comments

• Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nooo, Jamie Hampton is out :( Although Bojana Jovanovski takes her place as a seed, which is good. May get a crack at Azarenka in the 3rd round.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really see the draws as hideous for Laura and Heather, they're both beatable, and if they can get a result it obviously opens up the draw for them. It's not like they're top 10.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iqbal_M wrote: »
    You might have to put this link through Google translate for this, but what it says is that for the Australian Open Sabine Lisicki will be coached by Martina Hingis

http://www.bild.de/sport/mehr-sport/sabine-lisicki/hingis-bald-lisicki-coach-34196144.bild.html

Oh dear, not if sure that's what Sabine needs at all right now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Date-Krumms opponents mother is apparently five years younger than her, which is quite some stat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bad news, it seems the court speed in Melbourne will be the same as last year:
    http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/court-speed-at-australian-open-tennis-unchanged-says-tournament-director-craig-tiley-20140105-30c1e.html
    I for one am not looking forward to the 14-hour Rafa/Nole final.
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/court-speed-at-australian-open-tennis-unchanged-says-tournament-director-craig-tiley-20140105-30c1e.html

Big call, fancying a straight sets final! :D:D

Was thinking more a 19-hour 4 setter myself
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yep, after all the hype. Maria reckons the outside courts are quicker, but I doubt that's going to affect the big guns.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,062
    Forum Member

I don't know though - have you seen this: http://tennis.si.com/2014/01/11/roger-federer-rafael-nadal-andy-murray-australian-open-court-speed/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rita1 wrote: »

I did indeed, just after I posted the previous article. It seems they are indeed playing faster, but I guess we'll have to wait and see if it makes any difference.

On a side note, the day 1 schedule is looking pretty bad! Kerber opening on Rod Laver Arena?!
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Poor Stosur has a really tough R1 match against the same opponent who beat her 6-4 6-2 this week. The curse of the home slam strikes again.
  • Options
    Nathers7Nathers7 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did indeed, just after I posted the previous article. It seems they are indeed playing faster, but I guess we'll have to wait and see if it makes any difference.

On a side note, the day 1 schedule is looking pretty bad! Kerber opening on Rod Laver Arena?!

It's due to who she's playing. Li Na would have got that slot if Kerber wasn't playing an Aussie.
  • Options
    tamibecketttamibeckett Posts: 5,261
    Forum Member
    Interesting...
    DavidLaw ‏@DavidLawTennis 12h

Jim Courier tells @christophclarey in the NYT that he thinks John McEnroe 'would like to get in on this arms race,' and coach a player.

and apparently "Aussie" Ana is a real thing :o.
  • Options
    Rozzi RainbowRozzi Rainbow Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    deedee1962 wrote: »
    Fed up, It seems to me that Rafa and Andy have got a crap draw and Djokovic has easy they might as well give him the flaming trophy now and have done with it.:(

Don't give up on Rafa yet, believe he can win!! Remember how he seemed to struggle in the first week of the FO yet managed to win in the end. I've read on here before that sometimes a too easy draw can leave players unprepared for a gruelling match when they do play the tougher players. Djokovic's QF looks like it could be interesting - wasn't it at the AO last year when Wawrinka gave him a scare? Might not be too easy for him this year either. And as has already been mentioned by a previous poster - Rafa has nothing to lose, he'll still be #1 at the end of the AO whatever happens :)
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't give up on Rafa yet, believe he can win!! Remember how he seemed to struggle in the first week of the FO yet managed to win in the end. I've read on here before that sometimes a too easy draw can leave players unprepared for a gruelling match when they do play the tougher players. Djokovic's QF looks like it could be interesting - wasn't it at the AO last year when Wawrinka gave him a scare? Might not be too easy for him this year either. And as has already been mentioned by a previous poster - Rafa has nothing to lose, he'll still be #1 at the end of the AO whatever happens :)

The problem lies with the fact that Ferrer is the world number 3 combined with the fact Federer has slipped out of the top 4 opening up a high possibility of the draw not going the way people hoped for Andy and Nadal. And it has not.

If Tsonga/Federer was in Djokovic's quarter instead of Andy, and Ferrer was in Nadal's half of the draw Instead of Djokovic, the same people who are moaning right now about how unfair life is would have said great draws for Andy and Nadal.

I remember last year there was all this talk about if Andy or Nadal were to be in Ferrer's half of the grand slam draw they would effectively had one foot in the final.
  • Options
    Nathers7Nathers7 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rozzi Rainbow

Adding further to my post 2 below.

Andy was allegedly handed the impossible draw at Wimbledon last year according to many when it was first announced. But look how things turned out in practice. And who would have thought that Verdasco and JJ would prove to be much more difficult to beat in the quarter and semis than was widely expected.

You see so often on forums when the draw opens up for one of the top 4 seeds (who they don't support) who happens to fully capitalise on it, but the draw doesn't open up for the player(s) they support they bleat about how the person they don't support was handed such a ridiculousy easy draw befoe tournament began and how their favourite(s) were unfairly handed the impossible draw when neither was case.
  • Options
    MotherTeresaMotherTeresa Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Murray's first round against Soeda could be messy, but if he wins he'll face either Millot or Odesnik in the 2nd round. The Frenchman has won one tour-level match in six years of professional tennis, and Odesnik doesn't have the weapons to pose a threat.
  • Options
    triton333triton333 Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How completely random of Pironkova winning Sydney, it just came from nowhere. Really hope this isn't a fluke, I'd love to see her make a surge this year...

Also good to see Muguruza in a final, she's always been one to watch but about half of last season due to injury. QF's of Auckland and F of Hobart is a good start to the season.

It didn't look like a fluke. Pironkova was fantastic in the final. Her backhand is lethal. I also saw the Hobart semis and final. Muguruza is in top-20 form. Two tournaments won by qualifiers and both without losing a set.

BTW, daily forecast Melbourne temperatures from Monday: 34, 41, 39, 38, 39 C. A brutal first week.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,188
    Forum Member
    Jeez that is some serious heat. :eek: There's going to be a load of retirements!
  • Options
    triton333triton333 Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    Jeez that is some serious heat. :eek: There's going to be a load of retirements!

Yes, it's too much. The AO is well known to be the hot-weather slam, but in reality most years we (I am a Melburnian) get low-20s to low-30s most days, and some years a day or two in the high 30s. I cannot remember a first week like this. Also, referee Wayne McEwan has been reluctant to suspend play for heat in past years. I predict many upsets except for those lucky to play at night, and I have a feeling that the weather will dominate the press coverage and player comments this week.

Oops. The forecast has got a little worse today:
    http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/forecasts/melbourne.shtml?ref=hdr
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 116,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heather and Laura start at 11 am local time so I guess that'll be the best of the weather for the day sessions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyone know if ES will show Robson's match?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    triton333 wrote: »
    It didn't look like a fluke. Pironkova was fantastic in the final. Her backhand is lethal. I also saw the Hobart semis and final. Muguruza is in top-20 form. Two tournaments won by qualifiers and both without losing a set.

BTW, daily forecast Melbourne temperatures from Monday: 34, 41, 39, 38, 39 C. A brutal first week.

41 degrees. :o That is ridiculous. They shouldn't be forced to play in that temperature. It's so dangerous.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,062
    Forum Member
    It was above 40 in Brisbane last week and they didn't stop play at all! Ridiculous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    rita1 wrote: »
    It was above 40 in Brisbane last week and they didn't stop play at all! Ridiculous.

It's very hard to recover from playing in that kind of heat because your heart beats a lot faster and of course you dehydrate a lot more. Anyone playing in those extreme temperatures will find it hard to recover in time for their next matches. This could effect Djokos chances who struggles a lot in this type of heat.
This discussion has been closed.