Options

Sherlock - BBC Drama (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pollaxed wrote: »
    I normally lurk and rarely post but I need a valve to let of steam.

Series One was fascinating. Series Two was a little plodding and ultimately unsatisfying. Series Three has been complete drivel.

Having self congratulatingly killed off Holmes and then brought him back to life again, episode one rips off the plot from 'V from Vendetta' complete the same police detective. Episode two manages to get through 90 minutes without any real detective work, and then this soporific nonsense.

The trouble with Sherlock is that it thinks it's clever and spends every waking moment telling you it is, including when it isn't on. Do you remember when Sherlock Holmes actually solved crimes rather then being the cause of them?

And then the most obvious plot twist right at the end, because they have nowhere else to go.

I cannot wait for Elementary to come back. Cleverness hidden in plain site, plots that rattle along, thoughtful story arcs. And detective work.

You should post more because you are absolutely spot on.
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I missed him. Proper criminal mastermind. This new one who was billed as supreme evil was supreme shite.

Get Moriarty back. Get proper crimes to solve back. Stop the 'ooh we've written a hit' love in. Put Mary in the background. Stop trying to be funny (Cumberbatch and Freeman worked with their lines in S1&2 to make them subtly humorous, no need for the OTT scenes). Stop arsing about with flashbacks and non linear plots. Stop having about 12 things going on at once. Stop planting spoilers and thinking that that makes up for shite episodes because "all will become clear". Start writing a better series 4.

It was good, but I agree with all you have said.
  • Options
    Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Did you miss me??" YES, indeed I did, now please bring s4 up to the standard in which you previously left the show, and all will be forgiven.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was never boring but it all felt quite abrupt. None of the 3 season's episodes had a decent mystery, and I can take or leave Moriarty, who is apparently an immortal God now so whatever.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Series One was fascinating. Series Two was a little plodding and ultimately unsatisfying. Series Three has been complete drivel.

Having self congratulatingly killed off Holmes and then brought him back to life again, episode one rips off the plot from 'V from Vendetta' complete the same police detective. Episode two manages to get through 90 minutes without any real detective work, and then this soporific nonsense.

The trouble with Sherlock is that it thinks it's clever and spends every waking moment telling you it is, including when it isn't on. Do you remember when Sherlock Holmes actually solved crimes rather then being the cause of them?

And then the most obvious plot twist right at the end, because they have nowhere else to go.

I cannot wait for Elementary to come back. Cleverness hidden in plain site, plots that rattle along, thoughtful story arcs. And detective work.

Err...he was killed and brought back to life in the books.
  • Options
    slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the first two. But that was one of Moffats greatest ever works. Close to perfection.

I didn't really care much for the first two, but I agree this was one of Moffat's greatest ever works. Wowsers!
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dear God, that was fantastic. After a slightly weak first two episodes (compared to previous Sherlock episodes), Moffat brings the show well and truly back on form.
    I especially loved the scenes in Sherlock's mind after he had been shot and Sherlock pulling out a gun and executing Magnussen (spelling) was a genuinely shocking scene which really does remind us that he is indeed a sociopath.

We may not have got a proper explanation as to how he faked his death...but maybe we'll get a proper explanation as to how Moriarty faked his death. In about two years time.

:D
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    Err...he was killed and brought back to life in the books.

Don't expect these people to actually have read the books. They just want to slag it off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol! Elementary!

Moriaty back? Who next, Magnusson? Cheap and dumb writing for a show that had nowhere to go.
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After 2 really sub par episodes in my opinion we get an hour and 20 minutes of perfection.

And then the ending that I didn't like.

Magnusson is summarily executed by Holmes..a weakness in Magunssins ploy that the evil genius didn't see coming and something which I don't like to see Holmes doing.

And Holmes penalty in typical Moffatt moving quickly on fashion is wiped out with the return of Moriarty.

It just felt like vast tranches of genius and the promise of great things were let down in the end by a glib solution which we are meant to overlook because we get a tasty cliff-hanger.

95% great for me with a crappy ending and more of the jam tomorrow promises so symptomatic of Moffatts work.
  • Options
    MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damn it I still love Jeremy Brett!

Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes wouldn't tolerate the old Mrs Watson butting in on cases.
  • Options
    MorgsieMorgsie Posts: 16,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Magnussen reminded me of Rupert Murdoch
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sherlock should not have killed Magnusson.

Mary could have died without any problem IMO; the original Watson was married more than once.

Sherlock is not a super human like in Dr Who; he should not have committed murder and immediately been invited back to save England.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We may not have got a proper explanation as to how he faked his death...but maybe we'll get a proper explanation as to how Moriarty faked his death.

I very much doubt we will - probably best to accept that now rather than go down the fan theory rabbit hole.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    I Cannot Cope.
  • Options
    quickyquicky Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Well it will be interesting to see how they bring Moriarty back if that was him on the roof.

People will be chatting for another two years now.

Maybe they will explain why he shot himself with one gun, fell to the ground with none in his hand and seemed to be on the floor with a different one he he.

Some people have mentioned blank guns but putting a blank gun in your mouth and pulling the trigger will also make a mess of your head.

Will be interesting to see if it is Moriarty or someone else blackmailing people into thinking it is moriarty.
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    epp 3 saved this series in terms of entertainment - however the 1-2-3 arc was pretty clever.
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agree as well apart from Elementary, though I preferred previous seasons of this new modern one.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A brilliant finale to end the season.

Would be interesting to see how they bring Moriarty back.
  • Options
    HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    Does anyone die in this show anymore?
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Magnusson was a bit crap: all the information stored in a mind. Well duh! I wonder how the authorities can ensure the archives are totally destroyed?

Kill Magnusson!

Wow what a genius idea.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,084
    Forum Member
    We're going to have to try and tolerate her. >:(

lol hopefully she will be less prominent in season 4. i hope.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't expect these people to actually have read the books. They just want to slag it off.

Yes I remember that time he took the helicopter trips in the book, well ahead of its time.