Options

Sherlock - BBC Drama (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    L_SilverwolfL_Silverwolf Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    If Appledore was such a threat to everyone why didn't they just send James Bond (government assassin) in to take Magnusson out?

Because no one else knew it was all in Magnusson's head! :)
  • Options
    HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    It's just like Moffat's Who, everyone returns from the dead! >:(

Seeing as they didn't show us how Sherlock survived then it wouldn't surprise me if they won't show how Moriarty survived.

The only saving grace is Sherlock and Moriarty have a flashback of how they both survived at the opening of season 4. That would be fantastic. But if not this is even worse than LOST when it comes to answers.

Then it would lead to the main question. How does Moffat and Gatiss get away with this storytelling?
  • Options
    MorgsieMorgsie Posts: 16,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Redbeard?
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    If Appledore was such a threat to everyone why didn't they just send James Bond (government assassin) in to take Magnusson out?

Too obvious and too simple for the "genius" Moffat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really diasppointed. I love Sherlock but this was just too self indulgent on the part of the writers. Very sad. :(
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rory. Every week.

Except Rory didn't actually die every week. He died once.

Did you watch tonight episode btw?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A much stronger, more enjoyable episode this week, imo, but I hope Moriarty's image was just trickery by Mycroft to save Sherlock from his deadly exile - or at least that Moriarty is in Mycroft's employ and is used by him to keep Sherlock on his (Mycroft's) radar...this, for me, would be the only explanation for Moriarty still being alive after Sherlock saw him blow his brains out - that Mycroft and Moriarty were working to get Sherlock out if the country for a while, for some reason.
    Anything else would be too far fetched, even for Sherlock, imo.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes wouldn't tolerate the old Mrs Watson butting in on cases.

Absolutely; nor would Basil Rathbone, Alan Wheatley, Carleton Hobbs and Ian Richardson.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All 3 episodes were disappointing this year but I'll keep watching them as long as they make them.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    Sorry if it's been raised already, but...

what was that fleeting reference by Mycroft to their 'other brother'?

At this rate it's probably Moriarty.
  • Options
    fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that was amazing, gripped through the whole thing, now just feeling sad that its all over!
  • Options
    16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, Sherlock and Moriarty pulled a double-fake-suicide on each other? Jesus Christ almighty, my head...

Still, I loved it! Just gotta survive these next two years...
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yvie123 wrote: »
    but I hope Moriarty's image was just trickery by Mycroft to save Sherlock from his deadly exile

This is a great big possibility. Or indeed a trick put in to play by Sherlock himself.

It was only a moving picture of Moriarty. Doesn't take a resurrection to pull that off. But you never know.
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the side kick of a detective, John Watson is remarkably uncurious.

Doesn't care how the person he is is side kick to survived being dead in front of his eyes.
    Doesn't care what his wife did in her previous life, or what her real name is.

Bet he was a boy who didn't pre-squish his Christmas presents.
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gatiss : Crikey this is a great story, firing on all cylinders, cleverness, evil personified and real humanity, laughs, thrills the lot.

Moffatt : Yes it's fab.

Gatiss : Trouble is I don't really know how to end it.

Moffatt : No problem, Chuck any old thing down and then we'll distract everybody by bringing Moriarty back.

Gatiss : Will people fall for that.

Moffatt : Oh you'd be surprised.
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Translation: the plot didn't do exactly what I wanted.

There was nothing superhuman in this episode at all.

Translation : don't dare to have a different view from Moffat's Number 1 fanboy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    At last - immensely enjoyable.
    And I like Mary, so there.
    Magnusson was deliciously evil.
    And to cap it off, Moriarty will be back. <huge grin>
  • Options
    storm818storm818 Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pollaxed wrote: »
    I normally lurk and rarely post but I need a valve to let of steam.

Series One was fascinating. Series Two was a little plodding and ultimately unsatisfying. Series Three has been complete drivel.

Having self congratulatingly killed off Holmes and then brought him back to life again, episode one rips off the plot from 'V from Vendetta' complete the same police detective. Episode two manages to get through 90 minutes without any real detective work, and then this soporific nonsense.

The trouble with Sherlock is that it thinks it's clever and spends every waking moment telling you it is, including when it isn't on. Do you remember when Sherlock Holmes actually solved crimes rather then being the cause of them?

And then the most obvious plot twist right at the end, because they have nowhere else to go.

I cannot wait for Elementary to come back. Cleverness hidden in plain site, plots that rattle along, thoughtful story arcs. And detective work.

You of course are entitled to your opinion but to prefer Elementary to Sherlock is just poor, in every sense of the word.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morgsie wrote: »
    Redbeard?

A dog.
  • Options
    AceMcCloudAceMcCloud Posts: 2,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a lot of people refuse to accept any sort of character development and just want repeats of the same thing over and over again

As much as I like the procedural side of things and the explanations of how things are done I also find it interesting how the relationships affect who they are as people

Sherlock, as much as he may try to avoid it, will clearly be affected by his interactions with other people, be that a good thing or a bad thing

Some won't agree but that's my thoughts on the split of those who like it and those who don't
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hetal wrote: »
    Seeing as they didn't show us how Sherlock survived then it wouldn't surprise me if they won't show how Moriarty survived.

The only saving grace is Sherlock and Moriarty have a flashback of how they both survived at the opening of season 4. That would be fantastic. But if not this is even worse than LOST when it comes to answers.

Then it would lead to the main question. How does Moffat and Gatiss get away with this storytelling?

Moff can't be touched. I genuinely think the BBC don't watch his shows, so they don't know what kind of p***-taker he is.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An enjoyable 90 minutes, sure it can be criticized but I'm willing to tolerate. Makes me want to go read Conan Doyle's stories on my kindle again. No bad thing. :-)
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yvie123 wrote: »
    A much stronger, more enjoyable episode this week, imo, but I hope Moriarty's image was just trickery by Mycroft to save Sherlock from his deadly exile - or at least that Moriarty is in Mycroft's employ and is used by him to keep Sherlock on his (Mycroft's) radar.

No because Moriarty appeared after the credits ended.
  • Options
    Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lindsay Duncan was brilliant and so was Lars Mikkelson (Magnuson, the baddy). Magnuson was like a multi-millionaire I know of, who has spent time in prison. Very believable.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Translation : don't dare to have a different view from Moffat's Number 1 fanboy.

watched the episode yet?

Alot of neglected script writers on this thread. Why are the BBC not knocking on their doors?