Others
    w/e 5 Jan 2014

1 THE BRIDGE (SAT 2102) BBC 4 1.51
    2 THE BRIDGE (SAT 2201) BBC 4 1.35

K
  • Options
    RandomArbiterRandomArbiter Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    There are so many clever moments so far in S2, I think it's already a marked improvement over S1. Saga's interactions seemed to have been turned up to 11, certain things that seem ordinary - for example Saga waiting for Martin to tend to his sick son, and talking to the babysitter about how she can easily be replaced - only for Martin to come back and say she's the best, followed by that "WINNER!" face - brilliance.
  • Options
    RandomArbiterRandomArbiter Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    I also love how the Swedes pronounce Laura. when the teacher was calling her

"Lowra! LOWRA!!!"

I couldn't stop laughing
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Not since 1995 you haven't. Unless you're getting your fuel from unorthodox sources.

I don't mean literally, I mean in my head. I do the back conversion to "real measures'. If I go in a DIY store for something that needs to be measured I either take my old trusty 'real measure' steel tape or go and pick one up off one of the shelves, making sure it still has feet and inches and use that.

I moved over to decimalisation at the end of the sixties and that was as far as I ever wanted to go. :D
  • Options
    digijunkiedigijunkie Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    I also love how the Swedes pronounce Laura. when the teacher was calling her

"Lowra! LOWRA!!!"

I couldn't stop laughing

You got me thinking there about something that I did not pay attention to before. Actually Laura's teacher Beata and the head teacher are Danish, whereas Laura is Swedish like her father. But I assume they must live in Copenhagen as she was also working for the Copenhagen IT company on top of being in a Danish school. But the shooting happened in Malmo on the Swedish side again.

Laura is actually pronounced a bit differently in Swedish. Unless they are from Malmo :D

The only person in this season with a proper Malmo/Skane dialect has been Linus, btw. I have read comments in Malmo papers about local people moaning that they don't use local talent, but most of the actors have standard/Stockholm accents.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,752
    Forum Member
    Was amused that Laura used the English word "bitch" to describe how she thought her schoolmates would think of her.
  • Options
    digijunkiedigijunkie Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Indeed, I think she even used the word "outed" when she was angry at her father, outed as a mega bitch, not gay or anything else :D
  • Options
    ChipPaperChipPaper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Was amused that Laura used the English word "bitch" to describe how she thought her schoolmates would think of her.

I liked how she was angry at her dad because he 'outed her as a total bitch'. You can only be outed as a bitch . . . if you're a bitch :D
  • Options
    Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    digijunkie wrote: »
    You got me thinking there about something that I did not pay attention to before. Actually Laura's teacher Beata and the head teacher are Danish, whereas Laura is Swedish like her father. But I assume they must live in Copenhagen as she was also working for the Copenhagen IT company on top of being in a Danish school. But the shooting happened in Malmo on the Swedish side again.

Laura is actually pronounced a bit differently in Swedish. Unless they are from Malmo :D.

So the shooting of all the stuff that's meant to be in Denmark (which I too presumed) like the school and the IT business....is actually filmed in Sweden; the nationality of Laura and Daddy, though they are in Denmark in the show? Sometimes I lose track of where they are location wise if not at the Police Swedish place (as know with the Swede Boss man) or Dane side with Martin's family stuff. Though in the beginning when the boat crash occurs, I presumed it happened in Swedish waters with Saga being there dealing with it and not Martin, and Laura was near the boat when we were introduced to her and her father, and they too Swedes. It was because a Dane was on board the boat that Saga went over the Bridge to Martin. So maybe Laura just goes to school on Denmark fir some reason but her dad and her live over the Bridge still in Sweden (as her dad spoke to Saga about the boat, not Martin). It doesn't matter, I'm just speculating to myself.

Are you a native swede? Do swedes ever learn Danish (and vice versa) or they just don't bother as they understand each other still speaking there own language (which still confused me how they manage that). As a Brit I can differentiate between Danish and Swedish and just don't get how they can communicate in full entire conversations without needing to use one language. Maybe odd words or phrases have no need to to translate, but they have full on convos in their own languages to each other and understand if they're speaking one similar language. I don't know but I find Swedish an and down language (up and down reaches) and Danish a sort of word way that hits the roof if the mouth more whereas Swedish requires a hoppy mouth movement (this all makes sense in my head).

Like with Laura, Saga is pronounced differently in Swedish to Danish. In Swedish, Saga (like the magazine) and Say-ga in Danish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miriam_R wrote: »
    So the shooting of all the stuff that's meant to be in Denmark (which I too presumed) like the school and the IT business....is actually filmed in Sweden; the nationality of Laura and Daddy, though they are in Denmark in the show? Sometimes I lose track of where they are location wise if not at the Police Swedish place (as know with the Swede Boss man) or Dane side with Martin's family stuff. Though in the beginning when the boat crash occurs, I presumed it happened in Swedish waters with Saga being there dealing with it and not Martin, and Laura was near the boat when we were introduced to her and her father, and they too Swedes. It was because a Dane was on board the boat that Saga went over the Bridge to Martin. So maybe Laura just goes to school on Denmark fir some reason but her dad and her live over the Bridge still in Sweden (as her dad spoke to Saga about the boat, not Martin). It doesn't matter, I'm just speculating to myself.

Can't edit my above post.....first paragraph should read.

Though in the beginning when the boat crash occurs, I presumed it happened in Swedish] waters with Saga being there dealing with it and not Martin, and Laura was near the boat when we were introduced to her and her father, and they too Swedes (going by the language). It was because a Dane was on board the boat that Saga went over the Bridge to Martin. So maybe Laura similarly just goes to school in Denmark for some reason (and works there too) but her dad and her still live over the Bridge in Sweden (as her dad spoke to Saga about the boat; when saw it on the Swedish news, and not Martin). It seems very close going from one side to other, of Sweden and Denmark (as Martin does regularly enough when giving Pernille a lift back each eve, and dropping in to see the son when il, so maybe Laura divides time easily between both, or is there not that freedom that I'm thinking there is). It doesn't matter, I'm just speculating to myself.
  • Options
    wollygobblewollygobble Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    As a Brit I can differentiate between Danish and Swedish and just don't get how they can communicate in full entire conversations without needing to use one language. Maybe odd words or phrases have no need to to translate, but they have full on convos in their own languages to each other and understand if they're speaking one similar language.
    I think we are meant to suspend disbelief. In the first episode of S1, when Martin first went into the Swedish police office, introduced himself and gave a brief account of what was going on on his side, they all stared blankly at him and he said "Would you like a translation?". I think that was meant to cover it. We are meant to know there are going to be language difficulties, but they are glossed over because it would otherwise be just too boring.

I do think Saga's condition is being played with too much. Look at how old she is, how long she has been in the world, how intelligent she is and how willing to learn. Is it really conceivable that she has never before come across the idea of people loving children just because they are children? I know she won't relate to it (neither do I as a matter of fact), but it must be familiar. And the surprise she shows when she is expected to say thank you is just ludicrous. It's as if she just landed from another planet.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,510
    Forum Member
    So the shooting of all the stuff that's meant to be in Denmark (which I too presumed) like the school and the IT business....is actually filmed in Sweden; the nationality of Laura and Daddy, though they are in Denmark in the show? Sometimes I lose track of where they are location wise if not at the Police Swedish place (as know with the Swede Boss man) or Dane side with Martin's family stuff.

It costs about £33 for a trip across the bridge so if they're constantly nipping back and forth it's going to cost them a packet.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,752
    Forum Member
    Presumably the police have permanent passes?
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I do think Saga's condition is being played with too much. Look at how old she is, how long she has been in the world, how intelligent she is and how willing to learn. Is it really conceivable that she has never before come across the idea of people loving children just because they are children? I know she won't relate to it (neither do I as a matter of fact), but it must be familiar. And the surprise she shows when she is expected to say thank you is just ludicrous. It's as if she just landed from another planet.

Anyone with her 'condition' will be receiving some kind of support to enable her to successfully work with her colleagues - hence her attempts at socially appropriate responses to such things as jokes. The difficulty for her will be in inhibiting her own response to what is said or what she observes. She is very good at recognising patterns in the behaviour of others, she just doesn't have an empathic response to what she observes and she never will have. She recognises that this causes problems for others and will rebound on her if she doesn't attempt to display socially appropriate responses so she's keen to find out what they are and how to display them as successfully as possible - she just doesn't feel them!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    I got into The Bridge whilst watching The Tunnel.

Loved season 1 and so far enjoying season two. Is it just me or would Saga and Martin make an interesting couple? They have such great chemistry.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    Really, I still fill up in gallons
    Not since 1995 you haven't. Unless you're getting your fuel from unorthodox sources.

I was going to comment on that too :). In fact I don't even fill up in litres - I just fill up.

(Is that Chrome putting a squiggly red line under litres but not liters - or is it this forum?)

(Edit: OK it was Chrome - now fixed.)

Another edit: I noticed that anachronism in the subtitles, too.
  • Options
    CasmanaCasmana Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the surprise she shows when she is expected to say thank you is just ludicrous. It's as if she just landed from another planet.
    Might I just say on that point that I am a companion of someone Saga's age and with Aspergers and he never thinks that it's the norm to say thankyou when you're given something, or told something you asked for, and worse , I don't recall ever hearing him say the word please. Weird isn't it ?
  • Options
    wollygobblewollygobble Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Casmana wrote: »
    Might I just say on that point that I am a companion of someone Saga's age and with Aspergers and he never thinks that it's the norm to say thankyou when you're given something, or told something you asked for, and worse , I don't recall ever hearing him say the word please. Weird isn't it ?
    Yes I understand that. I'm not complaining about the fact that Saga doesn't see these things as "the norm", and never will. What doesn't ring true is that she behaves as if she's never heard of such a thing before, as if she has no memory as well as no empathy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we are meant to suspend disbelief. In the first episode of S1, when Martin first went into the Swedish police office, introduced himself and gave a brief account of what was going on on his side, they all stared blankly at him and he said "Would you like a translation?". I think that was meant to cover it. We are meant to know there are going to be language difficulties, but they are glossed over because it would otherwise be just too boring.

Oh yes, I vaguely remember when Martin was trying to pronouce his name to them as well. But even with that, aside from the humourous differences, they must be understanding each other to a great degree as otherwise could you really solve a complex case without relly being able to understand each other? But hey, whether a tv land tweaking, or real life thing too, it is rather interesing. As for Saga, she, is just one example that won't represent all, and maybe aspects of her are for the benifit of tv too (just as there are features of other characters structured in a way as well).

Edit. I've just seen some clips on youtube of the 1st series and there are Swedish subtitles on the Danish speaking parts so maybe tv doing in this case.
  • Options
    crisso69crisso69 Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Whilst I have visited both Copenhagen and Malmo more then once, I sometimes get confused in the plot, where the action may be at one time - i.e. are they in Denmark or Sweden? I always look out for the Police markings (Polis = Sweden / Politi = Denmark) to help but, sometimes it isn't clear, especially since Saga and Martin, etc., frequently cross the Oresund Bridge like we would use the much shorter Dartford Crossing here in England to reach Lakeside and Bluewater! Also, would Saga have any Police authority in Denmark?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crisso69 wrote: »
    Whilst I have visited both Copenhagen and Malmo more then once, I sometimes get confused in the plot, where the action may be at one time - i.e. are they in Denmark or Sweden? I always look out for the Police markings (Polis = Sweden / Politi = Denmark) to help but, sometimes it isn't clear, especially since Saga and Martin, etc., frequently cross the Oresund Bridge like we would use the much shorter Dartford Crossing here in England to reach Lakeside and Bluewater! Also, would Saga have any Police authority in Denmark?

The only reason Saga goes into Denmark is if there is Swedish interest for her. So I doubt she singulalry has authority if she is on her own there, but maybe if she is alongside Danish police (like Martin) there is some protocal that she can be involved in action as long as their is a Swedish element there for her to tend to alongside the Danish one(anyone feel free to completely correct me). Same with Martin, he's always in the Swedish police place, so he too must be allowed some Police involvement over there (with the investigation) via some way (again, anyone feel free to correct me).

I think the action at the I.T is meant to be in Denmark, as it was Martin that mainly interviewed the brother at his home (whose sister was an activist, and both were Danish). Also when the warrant came in for the I.T place to get the servers and computers the police coats said 'Politi' and it was the Danish women (Martin's boss?) that issued it, so presumably they were in Denmark then and Laura was working in Denmark (as well as doing school there, by presmpiton that Beate and her boss lady that sacked her were speaking Danish and Beate speaks to the whole class in Danish too). When the Dad was watching TV in his home, it was Swedish TV, so I've presumed he lives in Sweden. But when Laura was at Beate's home and they were on the bed watching TV, it was in Danish. With the car shooting involving Laura, it was in Sweden at there footie stadium, so... the investigation does seem to swap sides regulalry either becasue the deaths involve both Swedes and Danes, or the activits are both Danes and Swedes. This is just my presumption though, I could be wrong, I probably am, as it can be confusing indeed sometimes.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are so many clever moments so far in S2, I think it's already a marked improvement over S1. Saga's interactions seemed to have been turned up to 11, certain things that seem ordinary - for example Saga waiting for Martin to tend to his sick son, and talking to the babysitter about how she can easily be replaced - only for Martin to come back and say she's the best, followed by that "WINNER!" face - brilliance.
    Random theory alert!

Saga is pregnant but doesn't realise yet. Reason? That conversation with the nanny and the way she loosened her trousers after everyone else had left the office...

K
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On reading through the thread my 2 comments would be I don't think the poisoning of the meat the first speaker ate (Boris?) was not a coincidence. I think he was targeted for a reason we will discover later. Also I think the story line with Linus will turn into a chance for Martin to heal over the death of August. Linus is all alone in the world now and, if he needs help as I'm sure he will at some point, Martin will step in to save him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    Random theory alert!

Saga is pregnant but doesn't realise yet. Reason? That conversation with the nanny and the way she loosened her trousers after everyone else had left the office...

K

I think she loosened her trousers in the first series too though (could be wrong).
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I understand that. I'm not complaining about the fact that Saga doesn't see these things as "the norm", and never will. What doesn't ring true is that she behaves as if she's never heard of such a thing before, as if she has no memory as well as no empathy.
    I agree. I would have thought that Saga would have some awareness of what is "normal" for other people (like saying please/thank-you) even though it's not "normal" for her, especially as she is perceptive and has a good memory in her police work.

Still - her character does add some inappropriate humour at times. I particularly like it when she's slapping the faces of people in their hospital beds to make them answer. :blush:

As for the location aspect - I also have no clue most of the time when they're in Denmark and when they're in Sweden (or which characters are Danish / Swedish). I still enjoy it though. In fact it sometimes adds (unintentionally) to the mystery! :D