Options

Wanted Down Under

Comments

• Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange just went to watch Mondays Wanted Down Under I missed but its not yet on iplayer :( yet they have the others
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    strewth wrote: »
    I wish someone would tell these people that they don't have to go to Australia to the beach and surf!:confused:

They can go to Cornwall or the Gower in Wales!:)

I relocated to Kent coast from one part of UK, it's lovely.
    I have only caught up with episode 1 and I think they have so much in Uk,if they downsized their mortgage here, they could spend more time with kids, all an excuse to follow some daft dream. They want too much of a certain lifestyle.Could downsize stuff here, seems more about materialism than people.
  • Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SolarSail wrote: »
    I missed the beginning, but stayed with it because they seemed such a lovely pair.

Yes, a charming couple, I hope the Mum and Son find happiness in Australia, she seems devoted to him but I hope she finds romance and companionship too.
  • Options
    Hollo and GonchHollo and Gonch Posts: 4,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Geordie family with the toddler, and the mum and son pair, were lovely and I wish them every happiness :)
  • Options
    Tony_BrooksTony_Brooks Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    Was the geordie family the one where the husband and wife switched places? He became keen and she went cool on emigrating?

If they go, I fear they will have a surprise coming as the real cost of living needs to take in the cost of the healthcare system as well as the checklist that they are given. I also noted that the wage being quoted of $25 (?) per hour was as an employee, possibly on a 457 visa. There are some really interesting ex pat forums about that are worth a read.
  • Options
    Eagle9aEagle9a Posts: 20,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, thought todays show was the best of the series so far. I really hope it all comes together for them...they deserve it. Lovely couple going through tough times.

According to the update...
    its looking good
  • Options
    CGORSTCGORST Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    I like watching this show but it is totally unrealistic. The families are in holiday mode while on the programme. If they really want to experience life out there, make the kids go to school and see how they like working all day when it's boiling hot. They all seem to say they'll have more family time and "we'll go to the beach in the evening after work/school" Really? So going to work/school in Oz won't leave you feeling knackered like it does here? You won't want to watch your favourite TV programme like you do in the UK? For the people who say they work, work, work well they could change their lives, move north where bigger houses cost less money etc and cut down their hours without travelling thousands of miles to another country. I think Australia and New Zealand look great, don't get me wrong but it's the people on the programme who think the grass is always greener and when they get there they will only have to work a couple of hours per day, have no mortgage, a massive modern house and live the life of a premiership footballer! The ones who actually end up going out there are the ones who have researched it and know what to expect!! I still love watching it though - even if the families on there make me annoyed! ;-)
  • Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,993
    Forum Member
    I wonder how many of the heartbroken grandparents, left behind because their offspring have decided to up sticks and taken the kids away, are the first port of call when it all goes tits up. Probably the only time these emigrants realise what really matters in this world.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CGORST wrote: »
    I like watching this show but it is totally unrealistic. The families are in holiday mode while on the programme. If they really want to experience life out there, make the kids go to school and see how they like working all day when it's boiling hot. They all seem to say they'll have more family time and "we'll go to the beach in the evening after work/school" Really? So going to work/school in Oz won't leave you feeling knackered like it does here? You won't want to watch your favourite TV programme like you do in the UK? For the people who say they work, work, work well they could change their lives, move north where bigger houses cost less money etc and cut down their hours without travelling thousands of miles to another country. I think Australia and New Zealand look great, don't get me wrong but it's the people on the programme who think the grass is always greener and when they get there they will only have to work a couple of hours per day, have no mortgage, a massive modern house and live the life of a premiership footballer! The ones who actually end up going out there are the ones who have researched it and know what to expect!! I still love watching it though - even if the families on there make me annoyed! ;-)

I'm guilty of that too.:)
    I have a friend doing this right now. She's never lived anywhere but the town she was born in, her parents live in the next street and have done full time childcare since both children were babies.However, when I asked her about this she said, her parents would get over it and be able to come and visit. They are both in their early seventies, so I suppose they have almost had their use as free childminders eh?
    I only moved a hundred miles away from my family and I found that hard enough, even though I wanted to do it and I have never had grandparents to do childcare, still got homesick being in UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    [/B]

I'm guilty of that too.:)
    I have a friend doing this right now. She's never lived anywhere but the town she was born in, her parents live in the next street and have done full time childcare since both children were babies.However, when I asked her about this she said, her parents would get over it and be able to come and visit. They are both in their early seventies, so I suppose they have almost had their use as free childminders eh?
    I only moved a hundred miles away from my family and I found that hard enough, even though I wanted to do it and I have never had grandparents to do childcare, still got homesick being in UK.

Her parents can come and visit eh? Only cost them about £3000 for the return flight and whatever accommodation etc they need while there. I'm sure that being in their early 70s they'll be able to cope with the journey as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her parents can come and visit eh? Only cost them about £3000 for the return flight and whatever accommodation etc they need while there. I'm sure that being in their early 70s they'll be able to cope with the journey as well.

Yes,all so simple when you want to be selfish and brush everything aside. She's a nurse and believes she will be going to a land of milk and honey.Not what I've been hearing so far for the nurses featured.

Her parents are devastated, having had the kids virtually every day of their lives. she does not want to acknowledge that, but it will hit her when she realises she's there for good, alone, especially now parents are coming up to such a vulnerable age.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nice one today, turned it off it was so good. Usual story, dream to live in Australia for 4 years but the show was the nearest they have got to it, never been! Desperate mother wants her sons to go, one is married and settled in the UK, the other has a girlfriend that "might be the one" but he went anyway so not sure how she really felt.

And when the daughter said he was doubtful about going Mum says would it make a difference if the other son comes out - might well ask if winning the lotto would make a difference.

Whether this is a paid for holiday or not, it is unreal. You are in holiday mode, everything is new and fresh, no problems get in the way and travel insurance and the telly takes care of everything els. When you are there, you soon find that life goes on, bad stuff happens, there is little to do in fact and grilling sausages on a public BBQ doesn't thrill like it used to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    It said he needed to get some license or similar to be able to work in Oz, too. I wonder if he has? Still, all will be fab with all that time in the sun and family bbq's...!!
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whether this is a paid for holiday or not, it is unreal. You are in holiday mode, everything is new and fresh, no problems get in the way and travel insurance and the telly takes care of everything els. When you are there, you soon find that life goes on, bad stuff happens, there is little to do in fact and grilling sausages on a public BBQ doesn't thrill like it used to.

I really don't get this obsession with Australia. :confused:
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    I loathe this programme, if I hear AUSTRALIARRR once more then I shall scream until I'm sick.

Do I watch it? No, I don't. I turn off BBC1 and listen to the radio, anything other than this tedious offering. I don't actually watch TV in the mornings, I have a set in the kitchen and listen to it whilst doing my chores but Wanted Down Under is my cue to turn it off. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The licence is the new qualification, until he has that he cannot work as a trader, just as an employee on an hourly rate - get a mortgage on that!

It's very easy to get swept up. We have been there a few times and when we had spare time we went to look at a few houses - new build and open day. We found a house that had a pool, lots of space, nice garden and we could afford it. Very nice, but what do you do when it's very hot? Stay in and run the A/C? Stay in certainly but the A/C is so very expensive. Stay in and watch TV? TV there is rubbish, believe me.

The price comparison sheets would be interesting if anyone has one they could share. It is clear that the families aren't let near a supermarket during the week, they would see all too readily that prices are very high now. Why? Because most stuff is imported.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nevertheless, I think living in a more or less permanent "summer" mode would make a difference to a life style, especially with a much lower population density permitting "wide open spaces"

being able to be outside in a warm environment is rather different to living inside in a cold damp environment.

that's why we (Britons) go on holiday to warmer places. I don't think so many of us would do this if we already lived in a warm place.

finally, I think the "obsession" with down under is because Australia and New Zealand are both part of the old commonwealth, are warm, use English, and are "known" to the UK in a way that maybe Canada is not, and therefore offer a highly tempting alternative, if available. Breaking family ties is probably the biggest problem for many.

I haven't seen today's episode, but I thought Monday's episode(Andrea and Stan?) was easily the best I have seen. I would like to know how things turned out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's easier and cheaper to get and stay warm than to get and stay cool.

And the long summer evenings - you would miss those
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a friend who moved out to Perth ten years ago, the Summers are unbelievably hot, even with the A/C you just don't have the energy to do anything. Enjoying time on the beach....out of the question!
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nevertheless, I think living in a more or less permanent "summer" mode would make a difference to a life style, especially with a much lower population density permitting "wide open spaces"

being able to be outside in a warm environment is rather different to living inside in a cold damp environment.

that's why we (Britons) go on holiday to warmer places. I don't think so many of us would do this if we already lived in a warm place.

finally, I think the "obsession" with down under is because Australia and New Zealand are both part of the old commonwealth, are warm, use English, and are "known" to the UK in a way that maybe Canada is not, and therefore offer a highly tempting alternative, if available. Breaking family ties is probably the biggest problem for many.

I haven't seen today's episode, but I thought Monday's episode(Andrea and Stan?) was easily the best I have seen. I would like to know how things turned out.
    have you tried the web site stated at the end of the program??
    it said find out how they go on ??
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nevertheless, I think living in a more or less permanent "summer" mode would make a difference to a life style, especially with a much lower population density permitting "wide open spaces"...

I used to work with an Aussie - he said where he came from (Sydney iirc) there were few places where you could actually roam the "wide open spaces" as there was no concept of public access like we have over here. In fact the farmers were quite likely to take pot-shots at trespassers with salt bullets. The other problem was the massive urban sprawl - miles upon miles of faceless suburbia with the associated long commutes into town or out to the national parks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    I used to work with an Aussie - he said where he came from (Sydney iirc) there were few places where you could actually roam the "wide open spaces" as there was no concept of public access like we have over here. In fact the farmers were quite likely to take pot-shots at trespassers with salt bullets. The other problem was the massive urban sprawl - miles upon miles of faceless suburbia with the associated long commutes into town or out to the national parks.

Sydney Botanic garden is smaller than Regents park but that's the only place I know of in Sydney
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and there was me thinking this thread actually related to the program, perhaps we should ask it be switched to "advice" or "general discussion".

Love your real life experiences or thoughts on such but can we start talking about the program again?
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back to the program;-)

The main reason to move was supposed to be to improve work/life balance - though the houses they were shown all required a larger mortgage. It seemed that dad could pull in more money for less hours (hmmm - the flying off at the drop of a hat to remote parts bit seemed a bit out of kilter with that). But the main problem in the UK seemed to be mum running her salon - but she wasn't featured in the work section - was she going to be a lady of leisure? If so how were the finances going to work? And what was daughter going to do?
    I think in the end they will stay in the UK - they should've gone 10 years back when they first thought of it. The kids would've had no ties and the property values were probably much more in the UKs favour then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^
    I agree, it was a bit dis-jointed...certainly if "Mum" was going to work (or for that matter son and daughter) then finance would not be a problem.

BBC have updated site and it seems issues have been resolved...