Options

Death in Paradise - Series 2

Comments

• Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,726
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks the original crime didn't make any sense?

Sister A is having an affair with sister B's husband.
    Yes, but only because that wasn't the original crime; which was the sister B taking sister A's identity :)
  • Options
    nic6nic6 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »

Mind you Camille is so stunning its probably worth tuning in for her alone.

Absolutely correct that's really the only reason I'm watching for the beautiful scenery, the Caribbean isn't bad either. ;-)
  • Options
    clarendelclarendel Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    I read an interview with Ben Miller. He would have liked to have carried on but it was difficult being separated from his family with children at school. He said he enjoyed being the guest in the first episode as he could do some sightseeing. I am going to miss him but I am happy to watch it with Kris Marshall. I think they are trying to make him a bit like Columbo. I'm sure I heard him say "Just one more thing" in the episode.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clarendel wrote: »
    I read an interview with Ben Miller. He would have liked to have carried on but it was difficult being separated from his family with children at school. He said he enjoyed being the guest in the first episode as he could do some sightseeing. I am going to miss him but I am happy to watch it with Kris Marshall. I think they are trying to make him a bit like Columbo. I'm sure I heard him say "Just one more thing" in the episode.

He did, and I exclaimed "Ooh - Columbo!" :blush:

I would be quite happy for him to channel Columbo - giving the impression of being a bit of a shambles but actually very astute.
  • Options
    marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,688
    Forum Member

He did! I noticed that immediately and much to my boyfriend's annoyance did my Columbo impression pretty much throughout the rest of the episode. :blush:

I think it's a shame that Ben Miller isn't carrying on and I think it might have been a more fitting end to DI Poole had he simply not returned at the end of the last series. But I enjoyed Kris Marshall although I wish his wife had come out too. It would have made the dynamic very different and I'm not looking forward to yet more 'will they/won't they' stuff with Camille.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon Humph will be distraught that his wife's not going, so we'll be spared the will they-won't they nonsense.
    Well, I hope we'll be spared it, anyway. :D
  • Options
    marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,688
    Forum Member
    Espresso wrote: »
    I reckon Humph will be distraught that his wife's not going, so we'll be spared the will they-won't they nonsense.
    Well, I hope we'll be spared it, anyway. :D

I dunno, they've already had him slip up by declaring how beautiful he thinks Camille is and he and his wife were still together at that point.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marjangles wrote: »
    I dunno, they've already had him slip up by declaring how beautiful he thinks Camille is and he and his wife were still together at that point.

Ach, I know. I suppose it was just wishful thinking on my part.
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes he did. My immediate thought was that they'd included that line as a nod to Columbo. The same with all the scraps of paper.
  • Options
    Mood IndigoMood Indigo Posts: 4,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that perhaps the inspector's wife was dead and he kept phoning home just to hear her voice. He has to be unattached for there to be some 'will they/won't they' between him and Camille. I like the new character. Let's face it, how much longer could they drag out the joke that Richard refused to make any concessions to the climate or his relaxed surroundings?

BIB I agree. I know I'm in a minority, but I wasn't a massive fan of Ben Miller's portrayal of Richard.

mike65 wrote: »
    I enjoyed it, Kris Marshall mugged a bit too much early on but I'm sure he'll settle into the role quickly enough. The formula is basically bomb proof and there no reason why entertaining characters under a hot sun in a beautiful setting solving crime won't continue to find an audience

Exactly.

I don't understand people moaning at the BBC for continuing the series without Miller. He chose to leave. Why should all the rest of the production, cast, crew, writers etc be out of a job just because one actor doesn't want to do it anymore. The format of the show is such that it can replace characters quite simply, as long as the replacements are up to the task. So far CM has been good.

I thought Columbo as soon as I saw the trailer.

Also I think it was unfair the amount of flack CM was getting before he'd even been seen on the programme!. I think he's a good actor. He was excellent in My Life in Film with Andrew Scott and Alice Lowe. Only one series was made, but I loved it. The Top Gun and The Shining episodes were hilarious.:D
  • Options
    Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was gobsmacked that BM has given up this hit show. Literally watching the TV open mouthed. I did think a better exit would have been if the murderer had pushed him off the cliff.

Chris Marshall should be interesting though.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,644
    Forum Member
    I don't understand people moaning at the BBC for continuing the series without Miller. He chose to leave
    And they gave him an exit from which there is no possible way back ... unless Richard turns out to have a long-lost twin brother ... or ... ;)
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty good start, but will reserve judgement until episode 3 or 4 to see where they are going with K's character.

One thing that did annoy me a tad was the easy copout with the wife. I can just see a future episode when Humph and Camille get chummy and surprise, surprise little ole wifey in is the doorway....
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,644
    Forum Member
    Well done! I figured it had something to do with the sister. Just not quite as quick as you, obviously
    Thanks. Although I didn't figure out the significance of the book nor about the teacup.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    And they gave him an exit from which there is no possible way back ... unless Richard turns out to have a long-lost twin brother ... or ... ;)

I understood it was Ben Miller himself who said they should kill the character off, as the writers wanted it to be possible for him to come back if he changed his mind....
  • Options
    Mood IndigoMood Indigo Posts: 4,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »

Writers/ Producers revenge! When actors decide to leave a successful show, it seems that invariably their characters will exit feet first.:D

Anyway I'm quite happy for Richard to be dead. No twins, no dopplegangers, just dead.

Also I get that Ben Miller missed his family etc. But you would have thought he would have realised before taking the gig, that filming 6, 1 hour drama programmes in the Caribbean would mean he wouldn't be back for the school run of an afternoon. :p
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    Yes, I liked that bit too. Nice knowing touch from the writer.:D

I think I'll do that. I'll go into all the threads for the programmes I don't watch and post "I've never watched this programme and I never will, so I have no opinion of this programme one way or another."

:D

Exactly. We can all go on a shows thread and say I haven't watched blah blah blah :D but there's just no need.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dragonic wrote: »
    Hannah Tointon it was, cheers, that's been annoying me all night trying to think who she was.
    No probs.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kris Marshall was good as Humph and it was a good send off for Richard Poole, only he would solve his own murder. It'll be interesting to see how Humph adjusts to life on the island because he seems more laid back.
  • Options
    joel turcottejoel turcotte Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Humph soon realised taxis were not the forward so hopefully he will have a Peugeot 403 Grand Luxe Cabriolet to drive around the island.
    I wasn't sure this was going to stay good but it is.
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dragonic wrote: »
    Hannah Tointon it was, cheers, that's been annoying me all night trying to think who she was.

I thought I recognised her, but now I've seen her name I realise that I'd never seen her before, but I was confusing her with her sister.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    I thought that perhaps the inspector's wife was dead and he kept phoning home just to hear her voice. He has to be unattached for there to be some 'will they/won't they' between him and Camille. I like the new character. Let's face it, how much longer could they drag out the joke that Richard refused to make any concessions to the climate or his relaxed surroundings?

That's exactly what we thought :)

The nods to Columbo were surely deliberate, the 'just one more thing' was classic Columbo, together with the bits of paper and shambling appearance, and nods to Columbo are no bad thing in my book :)

Unfortunately was half asleep during the last 10 minutes (nothing to do with the programme, just old age :( ) and am slightly confused as to why one sister pretended to be the other, but overall was fine with it, will tune in next week - and hopefully stay fully awake to the end :blush:
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Humphrey should leave a message on his wife's answerphone commenting on how beautiful the island is, especially his new Detective Sergeant! I know it's only a plot device to make him single but I feel sorry for his character anyway!