Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 26)

Comments

• Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    Djokovich is like a machine. I've never enjoyed his routings in the early rounds. Being on the "easy" half of the draw only compounds this. *yawn*

He's still having problems putting away overhead smashes. I wonder why he can't put them away as easily as other players.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow Istomin breaks back.
  • Options
    deedee1962deedee1962 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hate to say I told you so, but I told you Nadal's draw would open up and Del Po would lose :D

Anyway, happy for Ana :) Sad for Stosur though, she never does that well in Oz.

So you did :) I am still worried about the Monfils match though.

I am really happy for Ana too I really like her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why does Djoko have to roar at the crowd like that. It doesn't endear him to people.
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's still having problems putting away overhead smashes. I wonder why he can't put them away as easily as other players.

'Cos he doesn't practice them enough.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does Djoko have to roar at the crowd like that. It doesn't endear him to people.

Didn't watch the match but agree in general. Given his record, he's not very well-known outside the tennis world, in the way that even non-tennis fans could name Rafa or Federer. He just lacks that easy likeability factor that the other two have. The roaring and chest beating is part of it, as well as his iron man type persona on court, but there's more to it too.

Better not to hone that skill really, as otherwise the sets would be 6-0,6-0,6-0.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    tennisman wrote: »
    'Cos he doesn't practice them enough.

Probably. It's quite strange considering how much he's improved in other parts of his game. He seems to hit the ball when it's too far behind him plus he doesn't snap his wrist enough like Rafa does.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Didn't watch the match but agree in general. Given his record, he's not very well-known outside the tennis world, in the way that even non-tennis fans could name Rafa or Federer. He just lacks that easy likeability factor that the other two have. The roaring and chest beating is part of it, as well as his iron man type persona on court, but there's more to it too.

Better not to hone that skill really, as otherwise the sets would be 6-0,6-0,6-0.

lol He even blew a kiss to Istomins supporters when he won. There is no need for that. He seems to like rubbing his opponents supporters up the wrong way and antagonise them which in turn turns more people against him in the crowd.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last time we had a Grand Slam final that DID NOT involve one of the big four (Roger, Rafa, Novak and Andy), was the 2005 Australian Open final between Marat Safin and Lleyton Hewitt. Quite incredible really.

Got me musing as to when we are again likely to experience a Grand Slam final when none of the big four are involved (sad but inevitable).

My best guess 2016 and most likely Wimbledon. Rafa will be 30, Novak and Andy 29, with Roger most likely retired. They'll probably be slightly less consistent, age and reactions a tad slower, other players less fearful, and some of the young guns of today such as Raonic, Dimitrov will probably have improved and be peaking. That Australian youngster Rafa just beat could be a real handful by the time he's 20. I'm also not discounting the real possibility that we could have such a Grand Slam final as soon as 2015.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it'll be as soon as 2015.
  • Options
    attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Complete ignorance :o

Yep, Nadal is so likeable. Hence why on any tennis forum he wins most disliked player by a country mile!!! It's not just his game, it's his well known gamesmanship, fake injuries and his faux humble persona. If you honestly by into his "I'm the favourite" schtick, then I really don't know what to say. Your post is hilariously biased. You dislike Novak, so you claim everyone else does. He isn't as well known as the other two because he hasn't been at the top as long. Simple really :)

He is a decent guy and by far the most gracious loser between him, Roger and Rafa. Rafa has way more obnoxious celebrations, fist pumping and shouting VAMOS after opponents UE. Again on tennis forums, he is always first when people vote on worst celebrations. At least have the same rules for everyone if you are going to criticise :confused:

I like Novak but admit he has his faults. He used to be rather arrogant. Federer is the most popular tennis player there has ever been, and I love him as well, but he can be arrogant and a bad loser. You have to be objective even if you like a player or dislike them :D:cool:

A lot of casual fans like Nadal because they think he is good looking. That's their choice, but it certainly doesn't represent what hardcore tennis fans feel like. I think people also read into things when they don't like a player. Everyone knows how I feel about Nadal but I have seen people tear into him for nothing, which I won't do. Just legitimate complaints about bad behaviour, which is the reason many of us dislike the guy. Each to their own I guess :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it'll be as soon as 2015.

I think Del Po could be a threat if he gets more consistent. He was the guy I feel had a legitimate chance of being Nadal, but I knew he would get knocked out :D:p

I know Murray is in that half but I am not sure he could cope with a match against another top player yet, but we will see. I hope he does well, and I would like Roger to do better than he has recently too :D
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    TH14 wrote: »
    Thrilled for Ana, she did really well and played like '08 Ana at times.

She should have won in straight sets! Serena next for her. Ana has yet to win a set off Serena (4 meetings).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    She should have won in straight sets! Serena next for her. Ana has yet to win a set off Serena (4 meetings).

Yes it doesn't bode well! Serena is brilliant, don't get me wrong, but I just don't like her as a person. I can't root for her. Ana, on the other hand, seems like such a sweetie. I hope she can hit her old heights, but I doubt it. She is playing well though :)
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ana hasn't a hope against Serena unfortunately. Even if Serena plays at about 50% Ana would still find a way to lose.

Can't believe Li Na managed to get past Safarova considering how bad she was playing. I feel bad for Lucie, but this result does at least save that quarter from title irrelevancy.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Agree with this. Nearly always at least two of the 5-8's will fail to make quarters.

But should Del Potro, Tsonga or Berdych e.g. lose 3 sets in a grabd slam match to players who would only manage to win 3 games and drop 18 in a 3-0 sets result against Nadal, Djokovic and Murray?
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where's Laura Robson?
  • Options
    Nathers7Nathers7 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where's Laura Robson?

Lost in the 1st round to Kirsten Flipkens.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    Where's Michelle Larcher de Brito?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nathers7 wrote: »
    Lost in the 1st round to Kirsten Flipkens.

OK thanks. Heather Watson?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »

I wanted Sam Stosur to win.:(
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

.... see above:blush:
  • Options
    Nathers7Nathers7 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Feel like an automated answer machine :p
    Where's Michelle Larcher de Brito?

Pretty sure she lost in qualifying. Not 100% on that though.

Lost in the 1st round to Daniela Hantuchova.
  • Options
    shortiefluffshortiefluff Posts: 3,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Complete ignorance :o

Yep, Nadal is so likeable. Hence why on any tennis forum he wins most disliked player by a country mile!!! It's not just his game, it's his well known gamesmanship, fake injuries and his faux humble persona. If you honestly by into his "I'm the favourite" schtick, then I really don't know what to say. Your post is hilariously biased. You dislike Novak, so you claim everyone else does. He isn't as well known as the other two because he hasn't been at the top as long. Simple really :)

He is a decent guy and by far the most gracious loser between him, Roger and Rafa. Rafa has way more obnoxious celebrations, fist pumping and shouting VAMOS after opponents UE. Again on tennis forums, he is always first when people vote on worst celebrations. At least have the same rules for everyone if you are going to criticise :confused:

I like Novak but admit he has his faults. He used to be rather arrogant. Federer is the most popular tennis player there has ever been, and I love him as well, but he can be arrogant and a bad loser. You have to be objective even if you like a player or dislike them :D:cool:

A lot of casual fans like Nadal because they think he is good looking. That's their choice, but it certainly doesn't represent what hardcore tennis fans feel like. I think people also read into things when they don't like a player. Everyone knows how I feel about Nadal but I have seen people tear into him for nothing, which I won't do. Just legitimate complaints about bad behaviour, which is the reason many of us dislike the guy. Each to their own I guess :D

How did I know a post about someone thinking Novak is more unpopular than Rafa/roger would turn into you yet again with the anti-Nadal agenda. We get it. You don't like him but when the poster you replied to said THEIR opinion you shoot them down. Novak is by far the most hated of the 3 and it is partly due to his antics on court. I couldn't care if he is a lovely guy of court or not but his behaviour on it is a massive part of why he's unpopular. If what he did today is right then it proves exactly why he's unpopular. You speak of Rafa being the most disliked but produce no evidence of it. Even with evidence what makes you think that's the opinion of EVERY tennis fan. Rafa is extremely popular and so is roger, even if I'm not a fan. Rafa and Roger are far better at good PR and that's something Djokovic doesn't do well at. If he did he wouldn't act as he does on court. Murray has even calmed himself down with his behaviour.

Its not proven that Rafa fakes injuries and tell me just how many times Novak, Andy and Roger havent blamed injuries in the past. Every player has their excuses when they lose. But to say Rafa is more used to this than the others is quite frankly insane.

Please stop now. We discussed this to death last year and many people agreed that your opinion was incredibly flawed with no substance. Son stop trying to pass your opinion of as gospel. We all have our own minds and the majority believe Rafa to be a lovely, humble and sporting legend. I beg you tons top the agenda now before it descends into all out war.
  • Options
    deedee1962deedee1962 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How did I know a post about someone thinking Novak is more unpopular than Rafa/roger would turn into you yet again with the anti-Nadal agenda. We get it. You don't like him but when the poster you replied to said THEIR opinion you shoot them down. Novak is by far the most hated of the 3 and it is partly due to his antics on court. I couldn't care if he is a lovely guy of court or not but his behaviour on it is a massive part of why he's unpopular. If what he did today is right then it proves exactly why he's unpopular. You speak of Rafa being the most disliked but produce no evidence of it. Even with evidence what makes you think that's the opinion of EVERY tennis fan. Rafa is extremely popular and so is roger, even if I'm not a fan. Rafa and Roger are far better at good PR and that's something Djokovic doesn't do well at. If he did he wouldn't act as he does on court. Murray has even calmed himself down with his behaviour.

Its not proven that Rafa fakes injuries and tell me just how many times Novak, Andy and Roger havent blamed injuries in the past. Every player has their excuses when they lose. But to say Rafa is more used to this than the others is quite frankly insane.

Please stop now. We discussed this to death last year and many people agreed that your opinion was incredibly flawed with no substance. Son stop trying to pass your opinion of as gospel. We all have our own minds and the majority believe Rafa to be a lovely, humble and sporting legend. I beg you tons top the agenda now before it descends into all out war.

Love this post, very well said. :):)
This discussion has been closed.