Options

Birds of a Feather returns on January 2nd

Comments

• Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Haha loved tonight's show - it's like slipping on a favourite old pullover.

Dorien being taken for a hooker in the bank :D:D

That was my favourite scene. Classic BOAF! :D
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seem to be in a minority here - didn't like that one at all.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jazzyjazzy wrote: »
    Seem to be in a minority here - didn't like that one at all.

same really had problems with it last night.
    the added extras the terrible actress with Garthy and the daughter really are dragging this down.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the episodes are improving as it goes on however I cannot warm to the new Garth at all. Why don't we know what happened to his wife Kimberly and child, its as if they never existed.

Also nit picking but that money they found stashed.....the notes were "new" £10 notes, if we are to believe it was stashed away years ago surely it would be older notes?
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    the added extras the terrible actress with Garthy and the daughter really are dragging this down.

Exactly my thoughts. They could have gone to the loft to get something and found the money and not have the silly story of sleeping up there.
  • Options
    icanboogieicanboogie Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoying the series but last nights wasn't so great.

Wish Garthy et al would pee off.

Also, I wish Dorien was still as insatiable as she was. Is she still shagging around? She also delivers her punchlines a little too late.

It is nice to have a female driven comedy on tv that is pretty decent though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    oathy wrote: »

I don't think she's so much a terrible actress, just abysmal with her Australian accent and it's making her whole character uncomfortable.

Why on earth didn't they just make her another British expat he met in Australia?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im loving return of BOAF. It still has the same charm it did in the older episodes. The chemistry between the three main characters is still golden. But not liking the new Garth and his new family at all. They are sticking out like a sore thumb, the comedy element they bring is nill in my eyes.

Also, Im really liking how Dorian is having this culture shock going on, with her hot having money and being like Sharon and Tracey, its a nice twist the have added to help give more comedic options.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    One thing that I think is missing from this series is the lack of drama that was present in the original nine series. There's no light and shade, it just seems to be nothing but gags and weak stories.

The original birds would deal with gritty social issues alongside the comedy. We saw that in the first episode a couple of weeks ago, but the last two episodes haven't had any of it.

I agree with most that Garth's wife and step-daughter really bring the show down.

Saying all this, it's still a great show and there is more good than bad. If they bring it back next year, they need to deal with the stuff that hasn't worked.
  • Options
    BBTIMEBBTIME Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this has been much better than expected and the ratings are really strong. I bet the BBC are a bit annoyed they didn't pick it up for a full run and only offered a one off special.

I do think it needs some more meat and story arcs. I'd be happy to see Garth and his girlfriend go. The new teenage son is a good addition and enough to generate stories without the need to pad it out further with Garth & co. I agree with others that the girlfriend has a terrible accent that jars - she didn't need to be Australian (or in it at all full time!)

Would like to see Dorian going back to being more promiscuous. Being 14 years older must have loads of comedy potential.

Also, I get really confused about the house! It's meant to be the same house but the lay out is different. I'm sure the kitchen wasn't off the lounge in the first few series and that the front door was to the left and not right of the lounge. Silly thing but it bothers me every time! I'm going to try and find an old episode to watch.

Perfect nostalgia though and I can't get the theme song out of my head!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is Tracy sleeping on the sofa in her own home? Surely one of the guests should be? :D
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it when she was blowing the air bed up, and she said getting Dorian to do it, and then when the air was coming out, 'Sharon', 'its not me', then when she gets on the sofa with Tracey 'That was me' :D
  • Options
    Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was my least fave of the three Eps so far but I still enjoyed it.

I feel cheated we never got to see Dorien slug it out at World of Quid. Suddenly making her manager was both unfunny & predictable.

Pauline really is a super talented actress.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    BBTIME wrote: »
    Also, I get really confused about the house! It's meant to be the same house but the lay out is different. I'm sure the kitchen wasn't off the lounge in the first few series and that the front door was to the left and not right of the lounge. Silly thing but it bothers me every time! I'm going to try and find an old episode to watch.

I too am confused about this. I can't work out whether it IS meant to be the same house or not. Although it would be odd for Daryl to have stashed cash in the attic of a new home and I noticed it is still called Dalentrace, the layout is definitely not the same. The house in the original series seemed much larger, the bedrooms in particular were huge and pretentious and I *think* there was a swimming pool or some kind of gym area as I have a vivid memory of Garth being caught naked in hot tub/pool with a girl!
  • Options
    Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luner13 wrote: »
    It was my least fave of the three Eps so far but I still enjoyed it.

I feel cheated we never got to see Dorien slug it out at World of Quid. Suddenly making her manager was both unfunny & predictable.

Pauline really is a super talented actress.

As I said, although this is the third episode to go out, it was the first one recorded in front of a studio audience, and was very stop start, with multiple re-takes etc.
  • Options
    Lee CoolLee Cool Posts: 4,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Dorien and Sharon are as funny as ever!
    Get rid of Garth and the family they are dragging the show down, they are not needed.
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it me or does Garthy's girlfriend have a Kiwi accent rather than an Aussie one?
  • Options
    Rocket QueenRocket Queen Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee Cool wrote: »
    I think Dorien and Sharon are as funny as ever!
    Get rid of Garth and the family they are dragging the show down, they are not needed.

I like the chemistry between Dorien and Sharon,thats still there, but the rest, not liking, huge house only 2 bedrooms and a box room, so Sharon and Tracy are in the very small lounge, surley there must be another room downstairs? Agree, get rid of Garth and his family, haven't brought anything to this imo.
  • Options
    tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 episodes in and ive only just realised after googling that Garth is Matt Willis:o:blush:
  • Options
    Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it me or does Garthy's girlfriend have a Kiwi accent rather than an Aussie one?

Which also has more than a hint of south african about it too.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked the third episode but I agree Garth's family are not needed. Or they could have at least found an Australian actress!
    When an actor is struggling with the accent it tends to jar and detracts from their lines.

And somehow Garth doesn't seem like 'Garth'!! It feels like a piece of novelty casting.

They should have just concentrated on Sharon, Tracey and Dorien, which would have given more time to develop the stories instead of being 21 minutes of quickfire gags.
  • Options
    Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always really liked Birds of a feather and decided to get the box set. I have been watching a few episodes of the first series I do not know if anyone remembers but they had this really annoying habit of playing the pop music of the time really loudly that the actors were barely audible. Its extremely annoying.>:(
  • Options
    catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tso wrote: »
    3 episodes in and ive only just realised after googling that Garth is Matt Willis:o:blush:

Who is Matt Willis?
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,940
    Forum Member
    I agree about Garth. It seems he and his family are only there to hike up the tension of everyone living together under one roof.

Bad casting - Matt Willis can't act. Also they're not developed as characters. They just seem selfish and sponging off Tracey, so we don't care for them.
    I like the Travis character, because he is basically the old Garthy character.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,940
    Forum Member
    Who is Matt Willis?

He was a member of the (now defunct) rock lite band Busted.
    I think he also won one of those celebrity stuck-in-a-house / jungle shows