Options

Do you carry any weapons around with you?

Comments

• Options
    christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vagina dentata :D
  • Options
    skipjack79skipjack79 Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vagina dentata :D

I'm not sure if it's just because I'm stoned, but I don't get it? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skipjack79 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's just because I'm stoned, but I don't get it? :D

A vagina with teeth. Lol.
  • Options
    skipjack79skipjack79 Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A vagina with teeth. Lol.

I'd like to think i'm a man of the world, but have never come across one of those before!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skipjack79 wrote: »
    I'd like to think i'm a man of the world, but have never come across one of those before!

You don't want to either :o:o
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    kippeh wrote: »
    The best weapon for dog walkers is actually the lead if it is a full chain one. Clip the collar clip to the handle eye link and you have an excellent short flail, which is legal to carry. All in the name of self defence of course.

I don't have a dog myself but I very often take a walk with friends who do and there have been quite a lot of dog on dog attacks round here. So I don't carry a weapon but I do take a pair of thick leather gardening gloves for a bit of protection in case I end up trying to pull dogs apart.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I carry a bunch of loganberries. Comes in very handy against an assailant armed with a pointed stick.
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no need to carry a weapon around with me. I do have them hidden in various parts of my house though.

You live in a non-scally area then, eh?
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The nearest I ever come to carrying a weapon is a shopping bag full of spuds. :)
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    My best weapon is the dog i'm walking. An 8 stone Alsation is quite a weapon if he chose to be.

I was thinking that myself. If your dog is anything like the two that I see being walked as I leave for work in the morning, he could probably reduce an attacker to jelly with a single look.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no need to carry a weapon around with me.
    +1. I doubt if someone would be stupid enough to start shit with you!
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    You live in a non-scally area then, eh?

I live in an average sized town in a close to town centre location. It's hardly posh, but not overly scally either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    +1. I doubt if someone would be stupid enough to start shit with you!

Lol I have worked front line security for ten years now, I have had plenty of people start shit with me. Always under the influence of something though, not a random attack in the street since I was a teenager.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The downside of being bigger is it also makes you slower. A middleweight boxer would run rings round your average big guy. The other myth is that having muscles make you tough as nails. They may make you look more intimidating, but everyone will still go down like a ton of bricks with a well placed punch to the chin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The downside of being bigger is it also makes you slower. A middleweight boxer would run rings round your average big guy. The other myth is that having muscles make you tough as nails. They may make you look more intimidating, but everyone will still go down like a ton of bricks with a well placed punch to the chin.

A big boxer will also beat a middle weight boxer. Guys like Tyson, Bruno and Holyfield were all very muscular in their prime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I realise that (although my dream fight would have been Tyson battering Prince Naseem Hamed), which is why I referred to the average big bloke on the street.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I realise that (although my dream fight would have been Tyson battering Prince Naseem Hamed), which is why I referred to the average big bloke on the street.

Of course a highly trained 10 stone boxer or skilled martial artist will beat up a bodybuilder, strongman or heavyweight powerlifter, but IMO it's only fair to compare like with like.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,538
    Forum Member

My wife flattened Prince Naseem (in Manchester) - he's tiny :D
  • Options
    blue eyed guyblue eyed guy Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does a Swiss Army knife count? :confused:
  • Options
    dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When i'm out Hiking or camping i carry a Nakura Hunting Knife and or a Machete/Small Axe. On a day to day basis i carry a Stanley Multi tool that has a 3" Non Locking Blade. The latter isn't considered an illegal weapon.

Having said that i could be stopped and arrested for carrying the Knife/Machete/Axe because they are considered illegal, But it depends on what i'm using them for and if i have a " Good Enough Reason " for carrying them. It also depends on the attitude of the copper that stops me and my attitude to his questions.

The knife laws in this Country are somewhat Shite to say the least.
  • Options
    Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    It also depends on the attitude of the copper that stops me and my attitude to his questions.
    I've found that in encounters with the Police, the outcome can have A LOT to do with this.
    I'm out in the car very late (and the wee small hrs) - often in the middle of nowhere - on a regular basis, and so I've been stopped for a 'routine check', many times.
    I've always found that as long as I'm doing nothing wrong, and am open and personable with the officer, they react similarly.
    After all, the vast majority of them are just normal blokes, doing what can often be a pretty shitty, and/or dangerous, job.

Oh, and in answer to the OP, I always have a heavy-duty tripod in the boot of the car, a steel leg of which, could be used in defence - and also a fairly powerful 'sky-pointer' laser, which could temporarily blind an assailant long enough for me to make my getaway.
    And if I'm not meeting up with mates when I'm out at night, I always have my dog with me - He's a Staff-x-Labrador, the size of a lab, with the overall build and look of a Staffordshire. He's a huge softie, but the look of him is a pretty good deterrent to anyone who doesn't know him.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When i'm out Hiking or camping i carry a Nakura Hunting Knife and or a Machete/Small Axe. On a day to day basis i carry a Stanley Multi tool that has a 3" Non Locking Blade. The latter isn't considered an illegal weapon.

Having said that i could be stopped and arrested for carrying the Knife/Machete/Axe because they are considered illegal, But it depends on what i'm using them for and if i have a " Good Enough Reason " for carrying them. It also depends on the attitude of the copper that stops me and my attitude to his questions.

The knife laws in this Country are somewhat Shite to say the least.

I'm not sure they are that bad. They give flexibility to having a good reason for the possession, and in practice it works well.

The alternative is a complete ban, which wouldn't work, or complete freedom, which would be stupid.
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was young I got mugged in Zurich so I started carrying a kitchen knife about with me. Luckily I was never attacked again. OH is 6'5 and unlikely to be attacked by anyone. When I am not with him I am usually with someone else and I did a self defense course some time ago.
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,904
    Forum Member
    I carry a Samurai Umbrella.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    How's that working out for you?

I still haven't replaced my Insight M6x after it exploded last year and I was looking at the Viridian X5 as a replacement.

I can't say I've ever had cause to think I should carry a weapon in the UK.
    I do, however, always carry a Surefire 6px torch with me and there's a reason the castellated bezel is called a "strike face".

When I saw this thread, I thought,
    'how many posts til Si comes in willy waving'

:D