The Tennis Thread (Part 26)

Comments

• Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tennisman wrote: »
    I am of the 'can't compare eras' group.

But I don't mind a bit of semi-superficial discussion.

I'm wondering on the issue of whether or not Graf's competition was poor, who's saying it and on what basis

A quick look at the 16 seeds for Wimbledon 1988 when Graf won her Golden Slam is as follows (cut and pasted from Wiki), a group of players we'd find in the other Slam seed lists, if we checked;

1. West Germany Steffi Graf (Champion)

2. United States Martina Navratilova (Final)

3. United States Pam Shriver (Semifinals)

4. United States Chris Evert (Semifinals)

5. Argentina Gabriela Sabatini (Fourth Round)

6. Czechoslovakia Helena Suková (Quarterfinals)

7. Bulgaria Manuela Maleeva (First Round)

8. Soviet Union Natasha Zvereva (Fourth Round)

9. Australia Hana Mandlíková (Third Round)

10.United States Lori McNeil (Third Round)

11. West Germany Claudia Kohde-Kilsch (Withdrew due to knee injury)

12. United States Zina Garrison (Quarterfinals)

13. Soviet Union Larisa Savchenko (Fourth Round)

14. Bulgaria Katerina Maleeva (Fourth Round)

15. West Germany Sylvia Hanika (Third Round)

16. United States Mary Joe Fernandez (Fourth Round)

If that's poor competition, I'd hate to see strong!

Hmm, Chrissie and Martina past their best at the time, probably Shriver as well. The rest of them aren't that great the only notable thing about Zvereva was getting double-bageled in The French Open.

Steffi probably my fave female player ever, but that list isn't great for me.
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Was away for weekend missed all the tennis, good to see the real number one playing well again, don't think I'll bother with match tonight, it'll be a demolition job
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Serena's won 4 of her slams after the age of 30. Martina won 5 slams (all Wimbledons) in her 30s and Chrissie 2.

Steffi retired at 30 so obviously had to clock up more slam titles per year to get the current record. Steffi in 88 (her Golden Slam year) was the best ever. Can be matched but not beaten.
  • Options
    Nathers7Nathers7 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, Chrissie and Martina past their best at the time, probably Shriver as well. The rest of them aren't that great the only notable thing about Zvereva was getting double-bageled in The French Open.

Sabatini is there to be fair. Mandlikova was great as well but admittedly past her best in 88. Sukova as well. Fernandez. It's not that bad a list, however compare it to a year like 2001 it's not comparable. The early 2000s crap all over Steffi's and today's era :p:

1. Hingis
    2. Venus
    3. Davenport
    4. Capriati
    5. Serena
    6. Mauresmo
    7. Clijsters
    8. Henin
    9. Tauziat
    10. Dementieva
    11. Coetzer
    12. Maleeva
    13. Sanchez Vicario
    14. Dokic
    15. Testud
    16. Elia
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a funny mocking thread on tennis talk asking who had lost fewest matches when not 'tired or injured', Nadal or Serena? :D i don't think she is as bad as him, no made up ailments or convenient MTO's, but still.....

Many players win matches while injured and if you have deemed yourself fit enough to play and haven't retired from the match, you can't complain.To be fair she did say Ana played well.

You're in it to win it. So everybody who wins the required number of sets to beat their opponent in a grand slam tournament match is the deserving winner of the match. What if's or But if's are an irrelevance. What actually happened on the match court is what goes In the record books, not what people assume would have happened if this or that had occurred instead.

Nobody has any right to complain about who collected the trophy at the end of the tournament as the champion has proven himself/herself to be the best player of the tournament by winning 7 matches in a fortnight. Which players they beat along the way to do so is unimportant.

Serena Williams was beaten. That's the bottom line it's an official tournament result that's in the record books.

Nadal certainly did not pull out injured from the 2009 French Open despite those on the Tennis Warehouse forum trying to make out that he never entered the tournament at all. He was beaten 3 sets to 1 in the 4th round and it counts as a legit result. Soderling highly deserved his win over Nadal that afternoon.
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Interesting to watch Chrissie against Steffi here at the Liptons at that time;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmqy16MP4Ms
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Serena's won 4 of her slams after the age of 30. Martina won 5 slams (all Wimbledons) in her 30s and Chrissie 2.

Steffi retired at 30 so obviously had to clock up more slam titles per year to get the current record. Steffi in 88 (her Golden Slam year) was the best ever. Can be matched but not beaten.

I don't see such a feat being at all possible in the men's as the men's draw is much tougher.
  • Options
    lyn2lyn2 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Was away for weekend missed all the tennis, good to see the real number one playing well again, don't think I'll bother with match tonight, it'll be a demolition job

I didn't realise you were a Djoko fan CGG. ;-)
  • Options
    deedee1962deedee1962 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a funny mocking thread on tennis talk asking who had lost fewest matches when not 'tired or injured', Nadal or Serena? :D i don't think she is as bad as him, no made up ailments or convenient MTO's, but still.....

Many players win matches while injured and if you have deemed yourself fit enough to play and haven't retired from the match, you can't complain. To be fair she did say Ana played well.

Jesus Attackmusic I think that you are more obsessed with Rafa than I am, tell me are you sure you are not drooling over him On the Quiet? ;) Please enlighten me as maybe the incidents you mention about blaming injury happened before I started drooling :D Let me explain, I actually only just liked Rafa as a tennis player before 2011, I remember I really wanted him to win that Wimbledon final in 2008 mainly because I was bored of Roger winning it so I was rooting for him to win, Then after I got worse with my arthritis I was watching Wimbledon in 2011 and that is when I saw the light and started drooling.

Anyway I found Rafa's press conference after the Rosol loss and he never blames anything on a injury. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHOgKT306a8

Again after the Darcis loss press conference, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHOgKT306a8

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon/10140061/Wimbledon-2013-Rafael-Nadal-refuses-to-blame-knee-after-losing-to-Steve-Darcis.h

So please tell me where are you getting the information relating to Rafa faking injury and blaming injury as an excuse?

Happy drooling.:D
  • Options
    deedee1962deedee1962 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I put the press conference after the Rosol loss twice and can't edit it now, I meant to put this one up, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oY6GRfNPbc

I am sure that Rafa would have never pulled out of the Olympics if he did not have to as he was so sad that he could not compete. I have read his book and he has had to have injections into his knee and believe me you don't do that for nothing I have had to have injections put into my back and it is not something you do for fun.
  • Options
    BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two good womens matches to start the day, will be asleep by time nadal comes on. Hopefully sharapova and azerenka can be pushed tonight
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no, not Shriekapova again.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great start to the 2nd set for Cibulkova.
  • Options
    tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nathers7 wrote: »
    Great start to the 2nd set for Cibulkova.

Even better now..5-0:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sharapovas about to get bageled in this second set. She will probs still end up winning the match
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dafuq is going on here with Sharapova :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sharapova saves losing the set 6-0 surely still heading for a deciding set though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two breaks back for sharapova, maybe that third set wont happen
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Another upset - the Bryan Brothers have just lost in the mens doubles.

Good news for Dominic Inglot as they were due to play him and Treat Huey in the next round.

Hopefully the Bryans will continue their losing form into the Davis cup in two weeks time.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally a 3rd set. Lets seen how this develops
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trainer out...hard not to be cynical after a big player loses a big set
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BigBmad wrote: »
    The trainer out...hard not to be cynical after a big player loses a big set

Hmm, indeed.

Purely from a viewing perspective though, I actually like it. It builds a bit of anticipation for the deciding set.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm, indeed.

Purely from a viewing perspective though, I actually like it. It builds a bit of anticipation for the deciding set.

It does indeed I always feel sorry for the player sat just waiting though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maria in big big trouble here
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Double break after some great defence.
This discussion has been closed.