Options

The Bridge 2 - BBC4

Comments

• Options
    Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    conchie wrote: »
    but I would bet its her brother. He seems very keen to have her life honored by writing the book about her. Is he bitter because of whatever reason she is dying.

….

Do we know what the brother does for a living or has that been left deliberately vague? And if it is him why would he bump off the male gigolo? I know he slept with his sister but that was presumably her choice? Or were they an item at one time?

I'm not sure Viktoria is the ex wife of Markus. Standard policing on his background would surely have discovered that very quickly and tied her in given her work.

Definitely Saga's character in this second series has become more comedic. There is definitely an exaggeration of her personality traits for effect. Very entertaining.
  • Options
    Forget-me-notForget-me-not Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Look at it from his point of view though...

She's treated him like dirt right from the start. Now he's done some good police work that's led to the capture of a criminal and what does Little Miss Perfect do?? Threaten to report him to the Rat Squad!!!

If I was him I'd have kicked off at Saga as well

Didn't Rasmus doctor some evidence by deleting something the other week?
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand what Martin is trying to achieve with Jens but (apart from taking up too much time) I suspect that it suggests more about his own inability to move on. In attempting to reawaken Jens humanity (in order to make him suffer for what he has done) he still isn't dealing with that part of his persona that set events in motion for Jens in the first place (not, of course, trying to absolve Jens of any responsibility - ultimately people are responsible for the choices they make) but if Martin had been less driven by sexual desire those choices would not have been visited on Jens in the first place :eek:

Saga is right about what she said about broken relationships and the extent to which they work out in the future. Someone Martin's age is unlikely to be able to reign in that aspect of his character that delights in playing away from home no matter how much he genuinely wants to. Indeed he is probably most likely to sleep around when his feet are firmly back under the family table - probably something that will be explored in Season 3.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't Rasmus doctor some evidence by deleting something the other week?

Yes - the witness' description of him when he went to question one of the original eco-terrorists but ended up being pepper-sprayed.

I think Rasmus watches too many US cop shows where the hero "breaks all the rules but gets results, despite being bawled out by his straight-laced boss every week";-)
    Doesn't help that he has a very punchable face:blush:
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving it so far. This is the best show on all week. Even at 2 hours per sitting, the time whizzes by.

I'm really enjoying the Saga/Martin interactions, but her conversation with the nanny was great too (their first meeting). This series will be over far too soon.
  • Options
    Sundance KidSundance Kid Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    Native Swede here. I have noticed many questions regarding the similarities between Swedish and Danish. Well, I can personally confirm that when it comes to southern Swedes (and I am a southern Swede), it is generally possible to have conversations with our Danish neighbors and speaking our respective languages without any major problems. It's called mutual intelligibility, meaning 2 or more languages that are so similar that you can have conversations in them without any major problems, and without having learnt them.

Thanks Magnus, however isn't it true that although the two languages are mutually intelligble there would realistically be quite a few misunderstandings between a Danish and Swedish person having a conversation, partly because certain words have different meanings and pronounciations?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    Woodentop wrote: »
    Thought it was obvious that Anna Dea was doing something when she stopped the daughter taking Nicolaj's drink. Interesting that the NHS in Denmark allows a non qualified person to advise on outcome, however right Saga was in her prognosis.

I had a problem with that too. Basically, she broke into their house which means any evidence she found would be disallowed. And then she had no gloves on when she picked up the pills! If you're looking for evidence of a crime, you would always take care to wear gloves, I'd think. So although she was right, I think the whole thing would be dismissed before it could go to court and she would be getting a severe rap on the knuckles.

That aside though, I'm still really enjoying this show :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Look at it from his point of view though...

She's treated him like dirt right from the start. Now he's done some good police work that's led to the capture of a criminal and what does Little Miss Perfect do?? Threaten to report him to the Rat Squad!!!

If I was him I'd have kicked off at Saga as well

The guy's an idiot. And Saga doesn't even know about his first attempt to be a hero. I really hope she finds out :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kim Bodnia is a very good and famous actor who has been in many Danish movies, like for example Pusher, Nightwatch, They Eat Dogs in China, In a Better World, Terribly Happy etc.

And yes, Norwegians has little to no problem with understanding Swedish, especially in eastern Norway like Oslo and nearby cities and towns, which is the major populated area of Norway. About 50% of Norway's entire population lives in that area. Danish goes along fine as well.

It might be a bit harder to understand Swedish for those who lives in western and northern Norway which is more remote and isolated. The dialects they speak in western and northern Norway might also be somewhat hard to understand for Swedes as well as eastern Norwegians. Not impossible to communicate though, talking slowly almost always works. And in really remote parts of western and northern Norway like small villages and fishing communities, my Swedish may be the only way to get around since many people in those areas are not very good at English.

I generally think all Norwegians have a good understanding of the standard "Stockholm-swedish", also the people living in North and West. Norwegians may struggle more with strong Swedish accents like the Scanian but in general I don't think theres a big difference in levels of understanding between different regions in Norway. When it comes to Danish it gets a bit more tricky, Norwegians will generally understand most things if spoken slowly but if spoken quickly it's easy to 'lose track'. I know most Norwegians find subtitles necessary when watching Danish TV but not so necessary for Swedish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OffTheCuff wrote: »
    That Danish detective Rasmus (or whatever his name is) is a real d**khead

He's Swedish :)
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,806
    Forum Member
    I had a problem with that too. Basically, she broke into their house which means any evidence she found would be disallowed. And then she had no gloves on when she picked up the pills! If you're looking for evidence of a crime, you would always take care to wear gloves, I'd think. So although she was right, I think the whole thing would be dismissed before it could go to court and she would be getting a severe rap on the knuckles.
    Does that not show that her first priority and thinking was about helping the sick child recover than punishing the nannie? Which shows a level of previously hidden empathy for the suffering of other people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Does that not show that her first priority and thinking was about helping the sick child recover than punishing the nannie? Which shows a level of previously hidden empathy for the suffering of other people.

She pulled up the cop for 'not doing it right'. The nanny needs to be prosecuted so she doesn't do this to others, but if this were real life, she'd get off.
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect that Saga's sister might have been using her in this way before she jumped under a train - hence her insight into this condition.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's Swedish :)
    Is he? I thought Rasmus was drafted in from the Danish police to help with the investigation.

I may be wrong though - there are so many confusing elements :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Is he? I thought Rasmus was drafted in from the Danish police to help with the investigation.

I may be wrong though - there are so many confusing elements :)

Well he speeks Swedish so I assume he's drafted from the Malmo-police. Pernille, the other junior police officer is Danish though (hence she always gets a lift back to Denmark with Martin)
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Don't see how the amateur hour gang who tried to capture Saga knew where she was. How would they even know she was on the case? Odd that she didn't even quiz them on this.
    I doubt it's secret that she's on the case. Presumably they followed her from the station. It is odd, though. Was it a coincidence that it happened the one night she wasn't in her own home? It felt more like padding, and a fake cliffhanger, than anything else this season (which has generally been more tightly written than the first one).
    phil solo wrote: »
    Apropos of nothing - did anyone spot that the opening title credits were in Swedish and Danish for this weeks episodes?
    I was struck by how the terrorist video signs were in English (and no-one seemed to need them translating).
    The Net wrote: »
    I cannot believe a dying woman could be the mastermind of all that is happening. The capture of Madsen, the shooting of Laura and driving around all over the place sneaking into hospitals to lay poison - I am favouring a man to be honest.
    Whoever it is is obviously comfortable hiring other people to do the dirty work. We saw how "Mother of Three" managed the terrorist cell, without them ever meeting her. Likewise Markus didn't sink his own boat. That she's dying would give her some motivation and a feeling she won't have to suffer the consequences of her actions for very long.
    Also I think Viktoria is too obvious.
    I dunno. We were suspicious of Lars pretty much as soon as he appeared.
    And I agree with the above comment that I felt sorry for the desk detective who picked on Saga for threatening to report him. She does treat him with a bit of contempt to be fair. I haven't seen her treat other colleagues that way in either series before.
    It's mainly because he keeps trying to push himself forward. He has a high opinion of his own ability and thinks he deserves better. Saga doesn't share that opinion, and just wants him to have the same kind of supporting role that the others have.

I'm against him partly because I don't rate him highly as a detective either. He's done too much that was obviously stupid, and some of it was criminal. Also, he seems to understand Saga's condition, but doesn't make allowances for it. He should know not to take it personally. I don't think Saga has any kind of grudge against him, and if he got on with his work and made the best of his abilities, he'd probably do quite well with her.
    I understand what Martin is trying to achieve with Jens but (apart from taking up too much time) I suspect that it suggests more about his own inability to move on.
    True, but I think he needs closure on Jens before he can look back further.
    Saga is right about what she said about broken relationships and the extent to which they work out in the future. Someone Martin's age is unlikely to be able to reign in that aspect of his character that delights in playing away from home no matter how much he genuinely wants to. Indeed he is probably most likely to sleep around when his feet are firmly back under the family table - probably something that will be explored in Season 3.
    Even Saga's observation allowed that some relationships can be repaired. Martin shouldn't give up, even if the odds are against him. And old though he might be, I'd like to think he is learning from his association with Saga. He would have slept with Pernille had Saga not queried him about it.
  • Options
    WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rasmus being new is desperate to excel and perhaps envious of the closeness and ease of the relationship and affection between Saga and Martin.

She has never shown those in a lower rank much interest or attention, other than professional and John the lone survivor from series 1, has nothing more than that from her, yet works tirelessly for her. Even with Martin's prompting last series, the scenes where she tried to sit amongst them, although hilarious, was an indication that it won't happen and Rasmus will learn if he continues.

I think she is very astute on first meeting people and is unlikely to change her view, which is often proved correct. Being lower rank he should respect her authority and accept her experience and status. As his superior, she has the right to check his work standards and ethics and clearly suspects he either overly ambitious or rogue. His conditional apology was a sign of his attitude and should have just been a proper one, but it did show something we hadn't seen before from Saga and lead to Martin wanting to know more.
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woodentop wrote: »
    Saga pregnant? No surely not. It would be an unnecessary and unpopular storyline, seriously affecting the character we have taken to hold dear and result in the show losing its way.

I too hope that she's not pregnant, for the same reasons. It's bad enough that Homeland Carrie is pregnant. I couldn't cope with Saga being pregnant too!
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    I doubt it's secret that she's on the case. Presumably they followed her from the station. It is odd, though. Was it a coincidence that it happened the one night she wasn't in her own home? It felt more like padding, and a fake cliffhanger, than anything else this season (which has generally been more tightly written than the first one).

I thought it was the second night she was away.

The EPG left me wondering what was going to happen. It said "another poisoning is connected to Saga..."

I guess it left off "and Martin's case". Had me worried for a sec there. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Thanks Magnus, however isn't it true that although the two languages are mutually intelligble there would realistically be quite a few misunderstandings between a Danish and Swedish person having a conversation, partly because certain words have different meanings and pronounciations?
    Yes there would, but it would not be appropriate for this series, so its not portrayed 100% realistically. Conversations between Swedes and Danes are usually in their respective languages like in this series, but with a few misunderstandings that they have not included in this series.
  • Options
    Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whoever it is is obviously comfortable hiring other people to do the dirty work. We saw how "Mother of Three" managed the terrorist cell, without them ever meeting her. Likewise Markus didn't sink his own boat. That she's dying would give her some motivation and a feeling she won't have to suffer the consequences of her actions for very long.

Slightly uncomfortable with that explanation. You might be right but....

It is one thing hiring cells and others to kidnap, plant poisonous food and sink boats and inter, it's another entirely to get others to murder individuals that have little to do with the "cause". I would have thought the perp him or herself or indeed themselves are directly committing the killings of Madsen, Claudio and the twice attempted murder of Laura - one of which ended in the murder of the teacher.
  • Options
    CaseyKleinCaseyKlein Posts: 3,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we know what the brother does for a living or has that been left deliberately vague? And if it is him why would he bump off the male gigolo? I know he slept with his sister but that was presumably her choice? Or were they an item at one time?

I'm not sure Viktoria is the ex wife of Markus. Standard policing on his background would surely have discovered that very quickly and tied her in given her work.

Definitely Saga's character in this second series has become more comedic. There is definitely an exaggeration of her personality traits for effect. Very entertaining.

did the book editor woman (sorry terrible with names) not mention to him that she was doing the gigolos autobiography as well so he probably wouldnt want his sisters name brought up.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was struck by how the terrorist video signs were in English (and no-one seemed to need them translating).
    I just assumed that they had digitally altered the signs according to the expected audience (apparently easy to do according to my video guru friend eg you can take ads from a video of Picadilly circus and overlay them).
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    I just assumed that they had digitally altered the signs according to the expected audience (apparently easy to do according to my video guru friend eg you can take ads from a video of Picadilly circus and overlay them).

Without seeing the original broadcast it's hard to tell. I suppose they could have been in English originally and the writers assumed that everyone would understand. I also noticed that some of the signs had small grammatical errors (e.g "How many dies here") to suggest that they hadn't been written by a native speaker.

When The Bridge, Borgen etc are broadcast in Scandianvia, do they subtitle the English sections?
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    When The Bridge, Borgen etc are broadcast in Scandianvia, do they subtitle the English sections?
    I wondered that. There was a scene in The Killing 2 where (the mighty) Buch got drunk and then started ranting in English to some Far East ladies.