Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 26)

Comments

• Options
    JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad to see Nadal win. GD obvi had chances both in 2nd and 3rd, but Rafa is too tough mentally :(
    Glad I didnt watch it :)
  • Options
    lola14lola14 Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank goodness for that! I knew it would be a tough match. Rafa was lucky in the third set, but I can live with that. CD time will come, a big star in the making, I think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lola14 wrote: »
    Thank goodness for that! I knew it would be a tough match. Rafa was lucky in the third set, but I can live with that. CD time will come, a big star in the making, I think.

Yep, tight, tense match. I think experience was the difference which told in the end. Some on here were just too dismissive of Dimitrov. He's a future (not too distant future at that) Grand Slam winner.

The day when we have a Grand Slam final that doesn't feature at least one big 4 name, seems that little bit nearer after this AO. And there's still the possibility that either Berdy or Stan could win this one.
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reckon Murray will get this in 4. I've always criticized the bookies for having Murray as far out as 12/1, crazy IMO. He'll be my favourite to beat Nadal too if he beats Federer today.
  • Options
    lola14lola14 Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sports Fan wrote: »
    Yep, tight, tense match. I think experience was the difference which told in the end. Some on here were just too dismissive of Dimitrov. He's a future (not too distant future at that) Grand Slam winner.

The day when we have a Grand Slam final that doesn't feature at least one big 4 name, seems that little bit nearer after this AO. And there's still the possibility that either Berdy or Stan could win this one.

If Rafa doesn't win, I would like Stan to take the trophy. I've warmed to him, recently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lola14 wrote: »
    If Rafa doesn't win, I would like Stan to take the trophy. I've warmed to him, recently.

It would be amazing to see Stan win the title.

He will never defeat Rafa, so miracle is needed.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Andy getting punished badly on his 2nd serve.
  • Options
    attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Murray's never played the two of them here in the same tournament, so I appreciate your argument but still disagree. Otherwise you echo my thoughts on the importance of him being a good front runner.
    Nadal has only won the one title here because Federer choked badly and couldn't contain his emotions even at the ceremony. OK he seemed to have another great chance against Nole in 2012 but was still clearly lacking belief when it mattered most.
    Federer has won here 4 times yes, but two of those wins were over much weaker fields than today. He looks good so far but I think only Wimbledon with its forgiving soft surface allows him to win 7 best of 5 set matches.

Having said all that, only Murray knows how close he is to full fitness. IMHO both the mens and womens draws are as open as one another.

Djokovic had several chances to finish that match in 4 anyway. I agree Roger made several key errors, and it was tough to watch :( But you have to take your chances.
    Also the whole weak field debate is dangerous. Maybe Fed was too good? There were still excellent players around. Plus weaker draws and final opponents are part of the game. A slam is still a slam, though some are more impressive wins than others :)
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well played Rafa. The sloppy errors need to be cleared up though as they'll be punished more harshly by Federer/Murray in the next round.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no :( Really want Andy to win this one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Roger is on fire so far.
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,575
    Forum Member
    poor first set from Andy

It'll be very tough to come back from two sets down, so he needs to bounce back in this one
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Federer has always been quick off the blocks. How many times has Federer taken the first set against Nadal in majors and gone on to lose? So this is no surprise, if Murray can start dictating from the back of the court he'll come back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given the way Roger is playing, this could be over in 3. And Rafa, wouldn't fare much better (despite the head to head record).

The main test for Roger will be if his old bones can sustain this level of play over 4 or 5 sets.
  • Options
    smudesmude Posts: 17,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before the AO started I said I would be happy for Andy to make the quarters. I lied. I want him to win but rejuvenated Fed is looking good. Edberg has transformed his volleying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Given the way Roger is playing, this could be over in 3. And Rafa, wouldn't fare much better (despite the head to head record).

The main test for Roger will be if his old bones can sustain this level of play over 4 or 5 sets.

Old Bones? He's 32 not 72.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stupid morons in the corporate seats holding play up yet again. It's true what Wilander said. It's always those who pay the least for their tickets who watch the least amount of tennis.
  • Options
    smudesmude Posts: 17,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He might be able to beat Andy but Rafa than Berdych/Stan I don't know.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,407
    Forum Member
    Prawn sandwich brigade. More interested in having a few drinks than watching the actual tennis match taking place.
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Great to wake up to the news that Azarenka has gone out.

Andy hasn't got close to breaking Roger yet which is a disappointment
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old Bones? He's 32 not 72.

Relatively speaking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stupid morons in the corporate seats holding play up yet again. It's true what Wilander said. It's always those who pay the least for their tickets who watch the least amount of tennis.

Hate people like that. Very annoying :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Murray can nick this set I think Federer might fall away. Tough though as Fed is still playing well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear two sets to love looming.
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,575
    Forum Member
    doesn't sound good at the moment, wish I could watch this

damn work getting in the way :p
This discussion has been closed.