Options

Standing up so early on train!

leopard_printleopard_print Posts: 1,403
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I get the train everyday so have a ot of peeves about train users. One is why do some people stand up so early for their stop?? Some get up after the train has just left the previous stop. WHY?!? Its not going to whiz off as soon as its opened its door!

Comments

• Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get the train everyday so have a ot of peeves about train users. One is why do some people stand up so early for their stop?? Some get up after the train has just left the previous stop. WHY?!? Its not going to whiz off as soon as its opened its door!

I remember that video with the guy in a window seat who wanted to get out to stand - and the guy next to him wouldn't move because he thought it was too soon.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's to avoid the queuing in the aisles, and the queuing on the stairs/escalator.

I do it when approaching Birmingham New Street in the mornings. I don't get up immediately it leaves the previous stop but I do get up when it's still a couple of minutes out. If you get up early enough to put yourself in the door alcove it can make a big difference. You can often get out of the station without having to wait for anyone.

If you stay seated until the train has stopped you can end up with quite a wait while everyone trudges along the aisle. Then another wait at escalators then another wait getting through the barriers.

I'd guess that getting up a couple of minutes early on that train can save you five or even ten minutes of being jostled around in a queue.
  • Options
    grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get up early to go and get my cycle out of the rack, which can be a bit of a feat if there are other cycles that need to be pulled out of the way. I need to get my gear on as well, which I'd rather do once my bike is sorted.

That alright with you?
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 52,004
    Forum Member
    You see this always when the train pulls into Swansea.

As soon as the train goes through the (vaguely) urban area of Gowerton, about half the people immediately stand up and move to the doors, and then stay like that for the remaining whole ten minutes of the journey as the train crawls its way into Swansea station.
    It's inexplicable.

You then end up with these same people about 30 centimetres in front of you at the exit turnstiles, so they've gained absolutely nothing from it, except looking like a wolly.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    It's the same on aircraft. Why, as soon as the plane stops at the gate, does everyone stand up in a huddle in the aisle, often with their heads cocked over to one side? Everybody *knows* it will be another 10 minutes before the bridge is aligned and the doors opened, and even then there's still baggage to collect in a random order.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    It's the same on aircraft. Why, as soon as the plane stops at the gate, does everyone stand up in a huddle in the aisle, often with their heads cocked over to one side? Everybody *knows* it will be another 10 minutes before the bridge is aligned and the doors opened, and even then there's still baggage to collect in a random order.
    Standing in the aisle, no. That doesn't achieve anything. But being in the door alcove on a train that has just stopped at a busy station definitely makes a difference. In that position I would typically step out and start walking...and never need to slow or stop(*). If I stayed seated I'd have to wait to stand up. Stand in the queue moving slowly along the carriage. Wait to get on the escalator. Stand on the escalator because only those with the sense to get off early keep the left side free for people to walk up it. Then I'd have to queue at the barriers and probably have a bit of a crush leaving the concourse.

Anyway I don't see why it should bother anyone. I switch to an aisle seat when someone gets on at the previous stop and sometimes if it's crowded I get up so that they can have my seat. All in all it's a win-win. I get out of the station more quickly and someone else can have my seat.

(*)I know which carriages will nearly always stop with their doors opposite the exit at New Street. And no, I ain't telling :)
  • Options
    VioletSummersVioletSummers Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    Standing in the aisle, no. That doesn't achieve anything. But being in the door alcove on a train that has just stopped at a busy station definitely makes a difference. In that position I would typically step out and start walking...and never need to slow or stop(*). If I stayed seated I'd have to wait to stand up. Stand in the queue moving slowly along the carriage. Wait to get on the escalator. Stand on the escalator because only those with the sense to get off early keep the left side free for people to walk up it. Then I'd have to queue at the barriers and probably have a bit of a crush leaving the concourse.

Anyway I don't see why it should bother anyone. I switch to an aisle seat when someone gets on at the previous stop and sometimes if it's crowded I get up so that they can have my seat. All in all it's a win-win. I get out of the station more quickly and someone else can have my seat.

(*)I know which carriages will nearly always stop with their doors opposite the exit at New Street. And no, I ain't telling :)

BIB- Just like myself on the tube!

I make sure I'm in a carriage that lines up with the exit when I arrive at my station and make sure I'm off the train pretty sharpish. This way I don't get stuck behind slowcoaches on the stairs or people who insist on all walking at snails pace in a row so you can't overtake them *cough* young girls *cough*.

Yes it might mean I look a bit weird but I get out the station pretty quick.
  • Options
    leopard_printleopard_print Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember that video with the guy in a window seat who wanted to get out to stand - and the guy next to him wouldn't move because he thought it was too soon.

haha i've done that before now!! Unless u are first out the doors it really doesn't save much time. Plus i hate turning my head to find my face in someones body or having them almost fall on me when the train wobbles
  • Options
    RiDsTeRRiDsTeR Posts: 12,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do it simply so I do not missing my connecting transport... Nothing worse than getting stuck behind a slow coach and missing my next train.
  • Options
    LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always try to get up early to avoid the long queues and slow people. It saves a lot of time at Manchester Oxford Road. My pet hate is when I ask the person sitting next to me to let me past, and they respond with "I'm getting off at the next stop too". I'm not bothered where you are getting off - just let me up fgs.

Someone was stood in the middle of the aisle last week, with no-one else in the aisle - clear all the way to the door. I asked to get past her, so I could get to the doors, and she said the same "I'm getting off too". Grrrrrrrr >:(

Nothing like a bit of train rage :D
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must say i've always found it strange and always assummed everyone had a busier life than me, because i'm never in a rush to go anywhere.

I don't even move until the train has stopped - Getting on or off.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like to get up early, as I'm paranoid that I won't be able to open the door. I've nearly got stuck on trains before, through not being able to get the door open.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Far worse, those who walk through the train to get off while it is still moving. Some of them just go through one carriage and it isn't because of short platforms, just that they think it is less to walk on the platform at the station. Some walk the length of the train.

So, bish bash all those sitting in the aisle seats to gain a few seconds. Commuting makes you realise that there are some strange people out there. Don't get me started on those who think that nobody should sit in "their" seat. Or the stinky food eaters at 7 in the morning.
  • Options
    LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Far worse, those who walk through the train to get off while it is still moving. Some of them just go through one carriage and it isn't because of short platforms, just that they think it is less to walk on the platform at the station. Some walk the length of the train.

So, bish bash all those sitting in the aisle seats to gain a few seconds. Commuting makes you realise that there are some strange people out there. Don't get me started on those who think that nobody should sit in "their" seat. Or the stinky food eaters at 7 in the morning.

I do the walking the train thing sometimes. It's not to avoid walking down the platform specifically. It's to make sure I get to my car in the car park before everyone else gets to theirs. I can then beat the queue getting out of the car park, and the queue getting out of the station road, which can be 15 mins if you are at the back of it. My train is the busiest train for people coming home from work, so its like a mass exodus from the car park.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Better to be prepared than stuck behind someone and miss your stop.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I do it because otherwise there is a mad rush as people get on and off and I hate the pushing and shoving, so make sure I am up the front.

It's happened to me several times that I waited and then got stuck when too many people were already on the train and more got on, so that I had to go several stops more than I wanted until I was able to get out!
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I try and be the first off the train, I always get on the train at the doors that will be near the stairs when I get off too... Getting stuck behind loads of people trying to get out of the station can add 5-10 minutes to the journey.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LifeisGood wrote: »
    I do the walking the train thing sometimes. It's not to avoid walking down the platform specifically. It's to make sure I get to my car in the car park before everyone else gets to theirs. I can then beat the queue getting out of the car park, and the queue getting out of the station road, which can be 15 mins if you are at the back of it. My train is the busiest train for people coming home from work, so its like a mass exodus from the car park.
    Heh, I forgot that one but then on my return to Banbury the train isn't crowded and not that many people get off. The queues out of the station can be bad most days although curiously some days they can be non-existent. Recent roadworks pushed them to another part of town (which still affected me but not as badly) but now the roads are back to normal there's still no queuing. Spooky.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

christ i`d be bloody furious and just walk over him.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 52,004
    Forum Member
    007Fusion wrote: »
    I must say i've always found it strange and always assummed everyone had a busier life than me, because i'm never in a rush to go anywhere.

I don't even move until the train has stopped - Getting on or off.

Same here. I usually go somewhere in good time.

A tip for people standing up early in order to avoid a crush / queues; what I do is wait for all the frantic people to alight, then when the carriage is empty, get up and saunter at leisure through a quiet and unhurried exit.

I'm sure that's more beneficial to one's health than treating the process like a race!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you only have a couple of minutes to catch your next train which are always on platforms over the other side of the station it can make a real difference.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    When I get the train I usually get up when they say "we are now approaching x station". I find that if you don't get up until the train has stopped the impatient people on the platform are already getting on the train
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talking about getting up early, what gets me is when people stand up just as a film is ending - what's the rush to get out of the cinema? :confused:
  • Options
    DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get up early if I'm in the middle of a carriage as it really does save time, if I'm near the end I wait.

But honestly I could not give a damn what you think.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My dad is one of these people.
    lemoncurd wrote: »

My dad is also one of these people.