Options

Ian Watkins jailed for 35 years (merged)

Comments

• Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noooway wrote: »
    What's confusing about it?

Read your post, and if you cannot see the contradiction then sorry but I cannot help you. Suffice to say as a foster mother along with thousands of others who dedicate their lives to picking up the pieces of broken children's lives and succesfully putting them back together despite the destruction by both mothers and fathers I can confirm that in many cases many children benefit greatly from being removed from their parents and it is not only not sad, it's wonderful that they have a second chance. My regret is that I could not do more for more. As a previous poster said being a mum is easy, being a parent is tough.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh ffs. I wasn't despairing at the babies not being able to stay with their mums, just stating the fact that it's sad that they're not able to have the natural love of their mothers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh ffs. I wasn't despairing at the babies not being able to stay with their mums, just stating the fact that it's sad that they're not able to have the natural love of their mothers.

Their mothers were unnatural in a way that is beyond most people's comprehension. There are many cases where it is actually profoundly sad that children are removed from Mums that love them but cannot cope for various reasons. This is not such a situation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Their mothers were unnatural in a way that is beyond most people's comprehension. There are many cases where it is actually profoundly sad that children are removed from Mums that love them but cannot cope for various reasons. This is not such a situation.
    But it is sad for the babies that they can't have what they crave. You are reading too much into my comments.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it is sad for the babies that they can't have what they crave. You are reading too much into my comments.

Possibly, however you are speculating that they crave their mothers love. I would suggest that given their treatment at their mothers hands, the last thing they crave is mums love given the perverted form it took.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly, however you are speculating that they crave their mothers love. I would suggest that given their treatment at their mothers hands, the last thing they crave is mums love given the perverted form it took.

I genuinely think babies crave their mothers love no matter what. We are, after all, animals.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I genuinely think babies crave their mothers love no matter what. We are, after all, animals.

Exactly. The other poster should not be getting at you over this, they are just wound up because they are a foster parent who can't accept that a baby would naturally crave its mother's love. Children will grow to love a foster parent, absolutely, but inititally, after spending any time with their natural mother, they would cry for them. A child can't take in the evil what these people committed. Like any kid, they just want their mum.
  • Options
    pollipolli Posts: 2,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an odd post. So many contradictions and so little comprehension.
    I hope they do grow up with a mum who will fulfill that role fully and completely for them. Indeed I am fsure SS will ensure that.

That in bold is odder by a country mile than anything nooway said .

Yes indeed, because we all know that Social Services are SO100% perfect and always get it right .
    Baby P anyone ? To name but one of the more recent debacles where children who were supposedly under SS care paid the heaviest price possible.
  • Options
    pollipolli Posts: 2,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh you are very mistaken. I've seen kids who are treated like dirt and abused in every way imaginable by their 'mothers' ,yet it is the mother they yearn for when hospitalised ,and the mother they seek out determinedly in later years if separated from her. There is a pure bond on the child's side that is unimpaired by drink or drugs or external influences and will always be there in their hearts no matter how crappy the mother is/was .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    polli wrote: »
    That in bold is odder by a country mile than anything nooway said .

Yes indeed, because we all know that Social Services are SO100% perfect and always get it right .
    Baby P anyone ? To name but one of the more recent debacles where children who were supposedly under SS care paid the heaviest price possible.

Not to mention the kids failed by social services who were routinely abused by grooming gangs that have been all over the news, and a catalogue of other failures going back many years such as the Shetland abuse saga many years ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    polli wrote: »
    Oh you are very mistaken. I've seen kids who are treated like dirt and abused in every way imaginable by their 'mothers' ,yet it is the mother they yearn for when hospitalised ,and the mother they seek out determinedly in later years if separated from her. There is a pure bond on the child's side that is unimpaired by drink or drugs or external influences and will always be there in their hearts no matter how crappy the mother is/was .

Agreed, kids when very young have little understanding of what is happening to them in such situations so it's highly likely they will still crave their mother's love and attention.

As they get older and begin to understand what they have been through, and possibly suffer the emotional trauma that can result, that's likely when their feelings towards their mother may change.
  • Options
    Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not to mention the kids failed by social services who were routinely abused by grooming gangs that have been all over the news, and a catalogue of other failures going back many years such as the Shetland abuse saga many years ago.

How on earth do those "gang" members "find" each other in the first place ... baffled !!?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zizu58 wrote: »
    How on earth do those "gang" members "find" each other in the first place ... baffled !!?

They pop an add on gumtree.

In all seriousness though, I'm glad people can see what I'm trying to say. I'm not at all concerned that the babies will have no further contact with their mums-just sad for them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. The other poster should not be getting at you over this, they are just wound up because they are a foster parent who can't accept that a baby would naturally crave its mother's love. Children will grow to love a foster parent, absolutely, but inititally, after spending any time with their natural mother, they would cry for them. A child can't take in the evil what these people committed. Like any kid, they just want their mum.

Well after 40 years at it ,it is my opinion young children who have lived with an abusive mother seldom " crave " that love. They do however suffer to greater or lesser degrees from many many issues that can scar them for life. Oddly one of the most damaging is in fact guilt and feeling that in some way they were responsible. In fact there is often an irrational hatred for the mother for what they perceive as abandonment by the mother. But hey what do I know ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well after 40 years at it ,it is my opinion young children who have lived with an abusive mother seldom " crave " that love. They do however suffer to greater or lesser degrees from many many issues that can scar them for life. Oddly one of the most damaging is in fact guilt and feeling that in some way they were responsible. In fact there is often an irrational hatred for the mother for what they perceive as abandonment by the mother. But hey what do I know ?

That's young children. BABIES are programmed to want their mums.

For example, when I had PND I totally lost my cool with my 4 month old. I was screaming,throwing chairs around the living room and I put him in his cot and went outside to calm down before I hurt him. After two minutes I went back in amd saw to him. He was in fits of tears but the first thing he did was put his arms up for a cuddle. He stopped crying and fell asleep cuddled into me.

What I'm getting at is that even though I was horrible and frightened him, he still turned to me for comfort.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's young children. BABIES are programmed to want their mums.

For example, when I had PND I totally lost my cool with my 4 month old. I was screaming,throwing chairs around the living room and I put him in his cot and went outside to calm down before I hurt him. After two minutes I went back in amd saw to him. He was in fits of tears but the first thing he did was put his arms up for a cuddle. He stopped crying and fell asleep cuddled into me.

What I'm getting at is that even though I was horrible and frightened him, he still turned to me for comfort.

They are programmed to reach out for warmth love and affection from any care giver. Mum is the familiar recognisable carer but a crying baby mainly wants, food, changed , a sleep , or hugged. Mostly thank goodness it's what mums do best for their little ones. They adapt quickly as we know from babies in care and in hospital. :) I'm sorry for having a go at you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are programmed to reach out for warmth love and affection from any care giver. Mum is the familiar recognisable carer but a crying baby mainly wants, food, changed , a sleep , or hugged. Mostly thank goodness it's what mums do best for their little ones. They adapt quickly as we know from babies in care and in hospital. :) I'm sorry for having a go at you.

No sorry for getting irate with you. You obviously have a lot of experience dealing with poor children who have been through a horrific time- So much respect for you as it must be such a tricky job.

I guess because I can't comprehend the catalogue of abuse these mothers carried out on their own flesh and blood, I can only think about it in terms of how I love my child. They clearly didn't love their kids the way I love mine, so it's futile trying to rationalise it I suppose.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been on the news that this vile piece of work, is applying for leave to appeal against his 35 year sentence.

I hope they increase his sentence to life without possibility of parole.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Just been on the news that this vile piece of work, is applying for leave to appeal against his 35 year sentence.

If any thing it should be increased. He will get out after serving 2/3rds anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed, kids when very young have little understanding of what is happening to them in such situations so it's highly likely they will still crave their mother's love and attention.

As they get older and begin to understand what they have been through, and possibly suffer the emotional trauma that can result, that's likely when their feelings towards their mother may change.

Genuine question, but do babies that young have a concept of what a mother is, or is it just that they will attach themselves to the primary care giver??
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,240
    Forum Member

I'm pretty sure that isn't an option, he got more or less the longest sentence he could be given under current law.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,240
    Forum Member
    If any thing it should be increased. He will get out after serving 2/3rds anyway.

He might get out after 2/3, depends on his behaviour inside. It also depends on whether they find any more evidence against him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member

Of course he is. This man has an ego the size of Jupiter, and he thinks it 'wasn't that bad'. Knew this was coming. I'd love it if they increased his sentence as a result.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He might get out after 2/3, depends on his behaviour inside. It also depends on whether they find any more evidence against him.

Yes - I think it's possible he could face more charges.

I'd be surprised if they reduce his sentence - he pleaded guilty after all. But even if they had dropped the attempted rape charge, I suspect his sentence would be just the same as it is now. I can't imagine what other grounds he thinks he has.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It also depends on how well he keeps out of the way of some of the other inmates; I can't see anyone being that forthcoming with him in there if he crosses him...
This discussion has been closed.