Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 57)

Comments

• Options
    xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    I think the drop for The Jump tonight will be huge. Might even halve its rating.
  • Options
    northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    It really is bizarre how something as good as The Musketeers can drop so drastically. People have no right to say there's nothing worth watching on telly if when there is they decide not to watch it. On the other hand, ITV will be pleased Mr. Selfridge did well. I only hope The Musketeers has a good consolidated figure. Hopefully will still do around 7.5m in the finals. I really don't get how people's attention spans have diminished over the last few years. Nobody wants to stick with anything anymore. We'll have sod all of quality to watch in a few years time because no one will bother watch it after 5 minutes.

I think The Musketeers is wrong for 9pm on Sunday,it is more a early evening show,and from what Ive seen the general reviews have been poor.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It really is bizarre how something as good as The Musketeers can drop so drastically. People have no right to say there's nothing worth watching on telly if when there is they decide not to watch it. On the other hand, ITV will be pleased Mr. Selfridge did well. I only hope The Musketeers has a good consolidated figure. Hopefully will still do around 7.5m in the finals. I really don't get how people's attention spans have diminished over the last few years. Nobody wants to stick with anything anymore. We'll have sod all of quality to watch in a few years time because no one will bother watch it after 5 minutes.

Not seen last night's episode yet - but the drop-off doesn't entirely surprise me. The pilot may have been big on action and stunts, but it was surprisingly short on character which is, at the end of the day, what hooks viewers in.

And I don't think Mr Selfridge did do well. It just lost fewer viewers than The Musketeers. Whether it can overtake it is another matter, however - if it does, even if only by a little, the BBC will be left with some rather embarrassing egg on its face. Especially as a second series is already in development ... :o
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Celebrity Big Brother deserved that rating, the best series of the show in 7/8 years. I think it took a lot of viewers from The Musketeers.

Next Sunday at 9pm it's The Jump on Channel 4. If viewers don't bother with it across the week then The Musketeers could get back some viewers. If The Musketeers goes under 5m then expect then expect the bring back Ripper Street campaign to REALLY kick off!
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    northlad wrote: »
    I think The Musketeers is wrong for 9pm on Sunday,it is more a early evening show,and from what Ive seen the general reviews have been poor.

I don't read reviews. I have a brain and like to make my own mind up. If someone on twitter says they don't like it 100 people will decide they don't like it too because it saves them from making a decision. Reviews mean nothing. Titantic reviews were awful (the 1997 movie) but it didn't stop people from seeing it and enjoying it. But that was back in the day when people made their own minds up.

And, The Musketeers is not really suited for an early evening slot, but could perhaps be switched with Call The Midwife. Would Call the Midwife fare better at 9pm?
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    xeo wrote: »
    I think the drop for The Jump tonight will be huge. Might even halve its rating.

I think it will more than halve they will be VERY lucky to keep over 1 million for the week. I tried it thinking it might be like The Games which was a bit of fun. OMG it was SO bad, once I realised the whole thing had been taped earlier I switched over, then at the end switched back for 'The Jump' oh dear God, it was laughable. It's a pity TV Burp is off the air, Harry Hill would have had a field day with this, Charlie Brooker will probably cover it on ScreenWipe.

Great rating for CBB and CTM, bit of a drop for Musketeers but if it stabilises around that level they wil be happy enough I would imagine. How did Dragons Den do?
  • Options
    bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,845
    Forum Member
    Has a non-launch/ final episode of BB/ CBB ever gone above 3m on C5 before?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    Not seen last night's episode yet - but the drop-off doesn't entirely surprise me. The pilot may have been big on action and stunts, but it was surprisingly short on character which is, at the end of the day, what hooks viewers in.

And I don't think Mr Selfridge did do well. It just lost fewer viewers than The Musketeers. Whether it can overtake it is another matter, however - if it does, even if only by a little, the BBC will be left with some rather embarrassing egg on its face. Especially as a second series is already in development ... :o

I'm afraid I disagree. The characters were put in place pretty well in last week's episode. It started off with a bang, and from the breakdowns didn't really lose that many viewers throughout the hour. Perhaps a million who would watch The Musketeers decided to record it and watch CBB instead?
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,575
    Forum Member
    Sunday's list
    rank	programme	channel	time	figure
    1	Call the Midwife	BBC1 Inc HD	20:00	9261000
    2	Countryfile	BBC1 Inc HD	19:00	6766000
    3	The Musketeers	BBC1 Inc HD	21:00	6186000
    4	Dancing on Ice	ITV	18:15	5794000
    5	BBC News	BBC1 Inc HD	22:00	4962000
    6	Mr Selfridge	ITV	21:00	4599000
    7	All Star Family Fortunes	ITV	19:45	4452000
    8	ITV News & Weather	ITV	18:00	4405000
    9	Dancing on Ice: The Results	ITV	20:30	4393000
    10	Fake or Fortune?	BBC1 Inc HD	18:00	4314000
    11	BBC News	BBC1 Inc HD	17:30	4114000
    12	FA Cup Live: Chelsea v Stoke City	ITV	15:00	4109000
    13	ITV News London	ITV	17:45	3173000
    14	Celebrity Big Brother: Live Eviction	Channel 5 Inc HD	21:00	2700000
    15	ITV News & Weather	ITV	22:00	2676000
    16	Dragons' Den	BBC2 Inc HD	21:00	2343000
    17	The Jump	Channel 4 Inc HD	20:00	2296000
    18	Hidden Kingdoms	BBC1 Inc HD	16:30	2070000
    19	The Coffee Trail with Simon Reeve	BBC2 Inc HD	20:00	1827000
    20	Birds of a Feather	ITV	22:15	1751000
    21	Mirror Mirror	Channel 4 Inc HD	18:00	1606000
    22	Wild Arabia	BBC2 Inc HD	18:00	1522000
    23	Escape to the Country	BBC1 Inc HD	15:15	1454000
    24	From Russia with Love	ITV	12:45	1437000
    25	BBC News	BBC1 Inc HD	13:00	1425000

ITV inc HD, ratings not tape checked
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member

Much bigger drop than I thought but its the sort of show that will timeshift well and many dramas have seen this sort of loss before and maybe it was exaggerated by CBB and Jump getting good numbers. Not sure Selfridge did that well its dropped from a relatively low start as well. But Selfridge will also timeshift ok so nothing to worry about with either of them I suspect.
  • Options
    Philip WilsonPhilip Wilson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »

Well The Musketeers lost 1.4m week on week which is a lot more than Mr Selfridge 240k. But still decent figures for both if they stay here, not much room to drop though. I expected a drop for the Musketeers although not that big, probably 800k at most, I just find it a little dull if i'm honest.

A really good figure for the Jump, didn't see that coming at all, especially considering the competition and the poor figures the Taste launched with. Great for CBB as well, really competitive Sunday night across the board.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    bean_of_sb wrote: »
    Has a non-launch/ final episode of BB/ CBB ever gone above 3m on C5 before?

First highlights of CBB8, I think, wasn't a good episode though, just benefited from the 5m launch and channel move, will they screw it up, interest. But I think this is the highest after that.
  • Options
    mrstreetcredmrstreetcred Posts: 6,695
    Forum Member

I said on here the other day high fives, so I was close! Doesn't stop me being gutted about it, it's going to get to a point when both bbc and itv are only airing cop/ crime procedure shows. Where did the viewers go if not to selfridges, dragons den???

If this is the next ripper street I will lose all faith in the British public!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Musketeers 15min breakdown

Mr Selfridge ITV

Mr Selfridge ITV HD
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Any chance of a breakdown for CBB Mike?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Any chance of a breakdown for CBB Mike?

Channel 5 fig

C5+1 fig
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Celebrity Big Brother deserved that rating, the best series of the show in 7/8 years. I think it took a lot of viewers from The Musketeers.

Next Sunday at 9pm it's The Jump on Channel 4. If viewers don't bother with it across the week then The Musketeers could get back some viewers. If The Musketeers goes under 5m then expect then expect the bring back Ripper Street campaign to REALLY kick off!

Its never gone away!!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Musketeers 15min breakdown

Mr Selfridge ITV

Mr Selfridge ITV HD

It's baffling that people don't stick around to see how the story resolves. Did they all have an appointment with facebook at 9.45PM
  • Options
    xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    Not often you see ITV News beating BBC News, even if it was on half an hour later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's baffling that people don't stick around to see how the story resolves. Did they all have an appointment with facebook at 9.45PM

my ratings aren't tapechecked and Robbie would say the last 15 mins don't count :p
  • Options
    WryipWryip Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its hardly surprising Mr Selfridge's didn't drop as much as the Musketeers, it is in its second series so most of the viewers know what to expect by now. Though just over 5m incl +1 isn't great, its got a poor lead in, and for the second year in a row is facing a hyped up BBC drama, coming out of a large drama lead in. Its doing a job for ITV, but its probably nowhere near their original expectations
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Channel 5 fig

C5+1 fig

Thanks, so apart from the second and third parts respectively, both grew as the show went on. Wonder if BB is where some of Musketeer's audience were disappearing to as the episode went on?
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting that over a million people who watched DOI couldn't be bothered to return for the results show. Another amazing rating for Countryfile.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And, The Musketeers is not really suited for an early evening slot, but could perhaps be switched with Call The Midwife. Would Call the Midwife fare better at 9pm?

I would imagine that CTM would not fare as well in that slot, especially if it was up against a solid ITV drama (it has many uplifting moments so workes better at 8pm). And I don't really want to see CTM being used as the sacrificial lamb in this instance.
  • Options
    sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do love the grandiose nature of some posters on this thread :D

The old moniker "I loved it, so it must be good"

What entertains us is highly subjective & highly individual.
This discussion has been closed.