Options

PS4 - First Impressions

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Lots in same boat. They aren't saying much about it. One spokesman said the dlc wasnt said to carry over.
    What I did was went to EA live chat and complained that it hasn't carried over. Eventually they gave me a new ps4 code.

Can you link me to the site where i can live chat to them please
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Can you link me to the site where i can live chat to them please

No. Just search ea live chat
  • Options
    stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,401
    Forum Member
    Managed to get myself a PS4 last night (Killzone bundle) so just thought i'd throw out my initial thoughts.

Like the design & the fact its so small, Fits nicely on my cupboard & its a lot quieter than my PS3 apart from initial disc spin. Despite some initial concerns beforehand I like the new controller design, Fits nicely in my hands & is very comfortable & again despite initial concerns the Light-Bar is not as distracting as I thought it might be. Also like been able to plug headphones into the controller to get game audio, Will be useful on occasion.

Really enjoying Killzone so far although im not that far in yet. Graphics are stunning & I was going round taking random screenshots via the share button to send to friends.

I like the overall Ui look although still prefer the PS3's XMB. However I don't like the lack of sorting options or general customization. Right now with only 2 games on there its not so bad, But down the line with more games, demo's etc... on there having everything lumped together in the line with no way of sorting or organizing things is just going to look like a mess. Definately think they need to add something like what we had on the PS3 where you could sort things into folders (I had demo's, Purchased titles, Free PS+ titles, PS+ Trials & PS1/2 games all in seperate folders on PS3).

Other criticism is the download management. There's no download list in the store as there was on PS3 so all downloads regardless of what sort of content they are are automatically put into the library, Again with no sorting options. Like with the main UI menu, Right now its not too big an issue but in time with a lot more content its going to be a pain to find what your after.

Also they need to add options to pause/prioritize downloads. My sister has Assains Creed 4 for PS3 so we did the PS4 upgrade. Upon purchasing it on PS4 it began downloading the main game, an update & some DLC all at the same time with no way to pause or select which order to download them in as you can on PS3. My internet is good (Around 16meg) but even so that not only slowed each of those down but also killed my internet speed in general.

I then noticed that although in the notifications menu it said everything was finished & installed, That AC4 was infact actually still downloading (While over the title on the UI I clicked options/Information). Since I thought it had finished I had then started downloading Resogun & again with no pause on the downloading list I was just left with both slowing each other down.

Played around with the share feature, Seems pretty good & I can see myself using it at times to send friends some cool gameplay moments. Just wish there was more ways to share, Had to setup a facebook account i'll not really use just to upload a 10 second video I wanted to show to a mate. Could do with options for dedicated video sharing sites like YouTube which woudl be much more useful (Especially given 2 of my mates don't have Facebook/Twitter accounts for me to share stuff with).

The PS-Store works better than it does on PS3 but I still hate the design of it. Slightly worse on PS4 I think as there are less categories for game content. On PS3 you have categories for demo's etc..., On PS4 its just 'All Games & Addons'.

So far then, Impressed with the hardware, Impressed with Killzone but some niggles which I think need improving/fixing on the system software side.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 210
    Forum Member

Other criticism is the download management. There's no download list in the store as there was on PS3 so all downloads regardless of what sort of content they are are automatically put into the library, Again with no sorting options.
    Also they need to add options to pause/prioritize downloads.

i hope this gets sorted in a firmware update too, i suppose they may turn around and say leaving it in stanby with downloads enabled would resolve this and download and install patches in the background. i hope they dont say that because i want to know when an update is available and what changes it is making
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i hope this gets sorted in a firmware update too, i suppose they may turn around and say leaving it in stanby with downloads enabled would resolve this and download and install patches in the background. i hope they dont say that because i want to know when an update is available and what changes it is making

All updates are logged in Notifications and have patch notes.
  • Options
    stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,401
    Forum Member
    Something else I just noticed, On PS3 you had the backup/Restore option which enabled you to backup all your installed items & then restore them on a new drive. Currently the PS4 seems to be lacking that option.

At some point in the next few months im going to buy a larger Hard drive, As it stands without that feature once you install the new HDD only option is to re-download/re-install all the games that are installed.
    If you have super, Super fast internet its perhaps not an issue but for those with slower connection, Having to redownload stuff is going to be a real pain given the size of some of the games.

Hopefully some sort of Backup/Restore feature will be added, Quickly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    All updates are logged in Notifications and have patch notes.

i know, but my main point was they all download at the same time and you cant pause them.
  • Options
    TracerTongTracerTong Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally managed to pick up a PS4 solo last night :)
    The only games I have so far are Resogun (Brilliant) and Don't Starve and FlOw.

Loving the size of the PS4 console and the controller is easily my fave so far, the XB1 one is good but the PS4 fits nicely into your hands better.

The Menu UI could do with some additional options like folders, download monitoring, theme customisations etc. I'm sure a future FW update will address these.

One happy PS4 and XB1 owner here :D
  • Options
    jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TracerTong wrote: »
    Finally managed to pick up a PS4 solo last night :)
    The only games I have so far are Resogun (Brilliant) and Don't Starve and FlOw.

Loving the size of the PS4 console and the controller is easily my fave so far, the XB1 one is good but the PS4 fits nicely into your hands better.

The Menu UI could do with some additional options like folders, download monitoring, theme customisations etc. I'm sure a future FW update will address these.

One happy PS4 and XB1 owner here :D

Yeah DS4 is a big improvement. Fits nicely into your hands and seems extremely comfortable to use.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These are cool idea for anyone that really doesn't like the DualShock4 light bar.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2014/01/weirdness_heres_a_novel_way_to_dim_the_ps4_controllers_light_bar
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those look neat FF. I do like the light myself. Just as ive mentioned id rather a portion of it wrapped around or shone through.
  • Options
    SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those look neat FF. I do like the light myself. Just as ive mentioned id rather a portion of it wrapped around or shone through.

I wonder why Sony refuse 2 allow users 2 switch off the LED on the joypad? :confused: ... Gotta admit it does reflect off the TV screen & is irritating as hell! :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont see mine on the tv
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone's ps4 auto update? Im sure I have Everything turned on but its not til I turn it on, even from standby, that it adds to downloads and starts to download. For instance todays bf4 patch
  • Options
    TracerTongTracerTong Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These are cool idea for anyone that really doesn't like the DualShock4 light bar.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2014/01/weirdness_heres_a_novel_way_to_dim_the_ps4_controllers_light_bar
    Thanks. just ordered myself the PS logo version
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone's ps4 auto update? Im sure I have Everything turned on but its not til I turn it on, even from standby, that it adds to downloads and starts to download. For instance todays bf4 patch

Yeah, mine seems to update while in standby.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »

Weird...unless that patch wasn't that long out. Maybe would've picked up by tomorrow or something.
    The only setting I disabled was network start as it turned ps4 on when i started the app.
  • Options
    OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Didn't realise there was a patch for BF4, didn't get a notification for it but I noticed that when I died, a skull showed up above the name of the person that killed me
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah that appears if it was a headshot. Also the commands from commo rose appear in a text box top left.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bf4 didn't update, but warthunder did at 5am. I wonder if I didn't turn my ps4 on tonight it would have updated tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe if I miss whatever the download slots are as ours is on first thing in morning and last thing at night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's an update to the ps app which states the app no longer connects to a ps4 that is in standby mode so looks like I can maybe turn net connect back on.

Also has live from playstation on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »

Mine downloads & updates while in standby aswell!! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's an update to the ps app which states the app no longer connects to a ps4 that is in standby mode so looks like I can maybe turn net connect back on.

Also has live from playstation on it.

are ya talking about the PS_APP for iPhone / iPad??? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont see mine on the tv

Yep! It reflects quite badly on my TV ... Unfortunately!! :(