Options

Call the Midwife Series Three Thread,

Comments

• Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    kat180 wrote: »
    There is no equivalent insult for a man. “Man ****” is a modified term - the implication being that the man is acting like a **** i.e acting like a woman who sleeps around.

'****' isn't a word for cheat hating, as you put it, it's a word for women hating. If you really believe **** shaming is 'silly made up terminology' then there's really not much more to say.

'****' actually means a dirty, untidy or slovenly woman, and has done since the 15th century. Chaucer also used the word 'sluttish' to describe a slovenly man.
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    seejay63 wrote: »
    '****' actually means a dirty, untidy or slovenly woman, and has done since the 15th century. Chaucer also used the word 'sluttish' to describe a slovenly man.
    didn't that chap from UKIP use it in that sense, to his cost?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    I made it very clear I was referring to the act of cheating, not a single woman having lots of consensual sex with other single men, if you choose to take it out of context and make it about 'woman hating' (which is quite hard considering I'm a woman myself) That says more about you then it does about me I'm afraid.
    Cheating, having unprotected sex and getting yourself into a ridiculous situation and getting pregnant with another mans baby and deceiving your husband for 9 months is not an acceptable lifestyle choice that needs to be affirmed by made up PC phrases.
    And seejay is right also.
    And yet again I didn't use the word ****.
    Anyway back on topic this thread has been derailed enough.
  • Options
    Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bump it Call the Midwife day ☺️
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LauraLS wrote: »
    Remember these stories are based on real events. So if in real life Carol is sent away then she will be in the programme. I was rooting for the doctor to adopt her too, then I remembered it isn't a soap! This has just made me think, I wonder if the baby ever did track down her mother? Or if she's out there now with no idea the story of her birth is a TV drama! :confused:

As has been advertised and posted on here, although there is still a bank of stories which have been submitted over and above those which Jennifer Worth had and / or used in her books (which formed the basis of the first two TV series), this is the first series where Heidi Thomas has written more fictional scripts.

I'm not sure as to what extent Thomas is fictionalising but it may be that an actual character called Carol was not born / adopted exactly as shown but that the story-line was based on something very similar???

So in some ways, this is turning a little more away from the dramatisation of real life stories in 3 books (or Worth's versions of real life stories - a point debated previously here over many posts) to a tad more soap-esque status.

But for me, this doesn't matter as the books and the first 2 series were all brilliant and I'm very happy to accept where Heidi Thomas will take it, as it keeps the CTM 'entity / brand / concept' (call it what you will) going.

In one of the books (and earlier episodes) we have actually already had the 'mother giving birth to someone else's non-white baby' story and in that case, the husband did not blink an eye and whether he really did see the reality or not, from moment one, treated the new born as if his own with much 'normal' fatherly love (unlike what we saw last Sunday), after much agonising by the mother (as we saw last Sunday).
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Anyone else watching tonight? I am struggling because of that awful Eastenders girl, she just plays herself in everything she is in.
  • Options
    GreenEyes8GreenEyes8 Posts: 1,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Anyone else watching tonight? I am struggling because of that awful Eastenders girl, she just plays herself in everything she is in.

Well she has to be playing Stacey from EE tonight someone just mentioned Beyonce and Ring on the Finger and it's supposed to set in the mic 50's LOL
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I felt that snip,lol
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    GreenEyes8 wrote: »
    Well she has to be playing Stacey from EE tonight someone just mentioned Beyonce and Ring on the Finger and it's supposed to set in the mic 50's LOL

I missed that. Not literally, surely? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I missed that. Not literally, surely? :confused:

No, she said fiancé.
  • Options
    Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought something was going to happen with the prison Chaplin and either Stella or Trixie. Good story tonight.😉
  • Options
    LauraLSLauraLS Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tennisman wrote: »
    As has been advertised and posted on here, although there is still a bank of stories which have been submitted over and above those which Jennifer Worth had and / or used in her books (which formed the basis of the first two TV series), this is the first series where Heidi Thomas has written more fictional scripts.

I'm not sure as to what extent Thomas is fictionalising but it may be that an actual character called Carol was not born / adopted exactly as shown but that the story-line was based on something very similar???

So in some ways, this is turning a little more away from the dramatisation of real life stories in 3 books (or Worth's versions of real life stories - a point debated previously here over many posts) to a tad more soap-esque status.

But for me, this doesn't matter as the books and the first 2 series were all brilliant and I'm very happy to accept where Heidi Thomas will take it, as it keeps the CTM 'entity / brand / concept' (call it what you will) going.

In one of the books (and earlier episodes) we have actually already had the 'mother giving birth to someone else's non-white baby' story and in that case, the husband did not blink an eye and whether he really did see the reality or not, from moment one, treated the new born as if his own with much 'normal' fatherly love (unlike what we saw last Sunday), after much agonising by the mother (as we saw last Sunday).

Oh ok, I didn't realise. All (I think) of the stories in the first two series I recognised from the books. I remember the other mixed raced baby storyline, so heartwarming, although a shame she cheated on him :(

I expected at some point they would make fictional stories, because heaven forbid they run out of stories while ratings are high! :p I don't mind it either as long as it doesn't get too soapy, like you say.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »

Is it me or does Lacey seem to be saddled with roles being a young mum/young wife/fiancé?

Apart from the live Bbc3 Frankenstein thing, Being Human & that army thing, she hasn't really moved away from that typecast.

A shame really, as she could be a future Who companion.

Jenna Coleman was out of the soap limelight for a few years before getting Who.

It's a shame Lacey couldn't have held out for longer before rejoining EE.
  • Options
    gregoa3gregoa3 Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Anyone else notice the fact that Sr Evangeline seemed to be paying Fred back quite a few pound notes and some coins?

By my reckoning 6 tickets at half-crown each would be £1 10s!
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gregoa3 wrote: »
    Anyone else notice the fact that Sr Evangeline seemed to be paying Fred back quite a few pound notes and some coins?

By my reckoning 6 tickets at half-crown each would be £1 10s!

Yes I noticed that too.
  • Options
    pattycakepattycake Posts: 4,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    by my recollection 6 x 2/6 = 15/-

thats fifteen shillings
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pattycake wrote: »

thats fifteen shillings

True but we don't know how many tickets Fred bought or what he bought them for.

He showed the nurses 6 but maybe he bought others?

Maybe also, Sister exhorted a bit more out of them in compensation!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    gregoa3gregoa3 Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    pattycake wrote: »

thats fifteen shillings

Oops maths not what it used to be, of course 15/- ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LauraLS wrote: »
    Oh ok, I didn't realise. All (I think) of the stories in the first two series I recognised from the books. I remember the other mixed raced baby storyline, so heartwarming, although a shame she cheated on him :(

I expected at some point they would make fictional stories, because heaven forbid they run out of stories while ratings are high! :p I don't mind it either as long as it doesn't get too soapy, like you say.

I think if the story lines seem credible in the context of the characters and circumstances of the time, the series will be fine.

If someone came new to it, would they even know one way of another if the stories were real? Its a credit to Heidi Thomas that there is almost a seamless continuation.
  • Options
    ScotlassScotlass Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed tonights episode, a few interesting storylines.
  • Options
    kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else notice that rather gorgeous prison Chaplin checking out Miss Trixie? ;)
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kat180 wrote: »
    Anyone else notice that rather gorgeous prison Chaplin checking out Miss Trixie? ;)

Yes. I wonder if that will be built on. We'll see. :)
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,637
    Forum Member
    tennisman wrote: »
    I think if the story lines seem credible in the context of the characters and circumstances of the time, the series will be fine.
    As I understand it these are stories based on real events as recollected by other midwives and nurses of the period (source: Radio Times interview with the writer).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    As I understand it these are stories based on real events as recollected by other midwives and nurses of the period (source: Radio Times interview with the writer).

Thanks.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Is it me or does Lacey seem to be saddled with roles being a young mum/young wife/fiancé?

Apart from the live Bbc3 Frankenstein thing, Being Human & that army thing, she hasn't really moved away from that typecast.
    To be fair, I cannot remember seeing her in any role other than those that you have just mentioned.