Options

Am I racist?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. Father Sri Lankan, mother Indian Kenyan.
    Then...I'm not being funny but how are you calling people 'p*akis?' The 'p*aki' you insulted must have laughed at you and told you to look in the mirror...
  • Options
    warmleatherettewarmleatherette Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Technically yes, but they're not usually close to hand unless you tend to use them. The word "knave" is in my vocabulary, but I doubt it would occur to me to pick it up in a fight, because it's tucked away at the back of some sort of linguistic garden shed, along with the broken mower and a couple of trowels.

That's exactly the point, in a fight situation you want to sound as aggressive and nasty as possible for maximum impact, "oi you rotten knave" isn't going to work quite as well as "you f#%>in bl@&£ c$€^" when trying to assert your authority in a violent situation.

I'm very mild mannered but wouldn't think twice about using racist and violent expletives in a fight situation to strengthen my position, you have to fight fire with fire.

That wouldn't suddenly make me a racist would it?
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's exactly the point, in a fight situation you want to sound as aggressive and nasty as possible for maximum impact, "oi you rotten knave" isn't going to work quite as well as "you f#%>in bl@&£ c$€^" when trying to assert your authority in a violent situation.

I'm very mild mannered but wouldn't think twice about using racist and violent expletives in a fight situation to strengthen my position, you have to fight fire with fire.

You're unlikely to use a word you've never used in anger before, though, surely? It never seems to happen to me. Mind you, I'm a right sweary Mary at the best of times anyway, so I've got plenty of expletives all within easy reach, so I guess it's never been an issue.
  • Options
    inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's exactly how I feel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Asian.

I thought you said you were white before or perhaps maybe I didn't read your posting properly.
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    Call the police and report him for harassment and assault take it to court... There only has to be two or more incidents for it to be harassment I believe. Don't waste your time messing around reporting it to the school who will probably just give detention. They're committing a crime don't let them get away with it. Maybe you can get a restraining order and they will be kicked out of the school.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mentioning someones colour would epitomise racism
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So a particularly humiliating experience happened to me on the school bus on the way home yesterday. Too fellow pupils (who are part of a group of individuals I have had problems with for well over a year now) harassed me throughout the bus journey, swearing at me, insulting me, and continuously saying they f**ked both my mother and the girl they both know I like.

Eventually it became physical, with me being pushed around and slapped by one of them while the other filmed it. In a moment of frustration I called the one doing the pushing a 'White C**t'. Obviously, as the other one was filming all this, it could go further, I could lose practically all my friends (my friendship group is almost entirely White, I have only one non-white friend), and I'll probably get beaten up if this gets out. Granted, I probably deserve it, I shouldn't have said such a thing in the first place.

I want to make it clear that I am NOT racist, at least I don't consider myself to be. What I said was in a moment of anger at being physically abused, I certainly DON'T hate White people, or any other race for that matter.
    No, I don't think so. From your description, those two individuals are what Americans would typically call, " white trailer trash."
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »
    Couldn't you have just called him a ****?

If he'd called you a black **** would you be off reporting him now?

Now that WOULD have been all over Twitter / Youtube and the police would have been called.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

Well, quite. I think the whole concept of politically correct insults is somehow flawed from the outset...:blush:
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll never understand this thread.

You usually only have to say you accidentally stood on a cat to get mauled in DS, yet so many people are both excusing and justifying such blatant prejudice.

Have we been invaded by UKIP members? (other bigoted parties are available).
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes you're definitely racist. Making excuses of it being the 'heat of the moment' is where it all starts. Maybe you'll grow out of it if you're fairly young but you should probably sort the whole abuse on the bus situation out and find some stability. Otherwise you're resentments will grow stronger and racism will be fully ingrained in your being.
  • Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not racist but I hate the 100m.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given the several examples you've admitted to OP, I wouldn't fancy your chances against a jury.
  • Options
    DiligentDanDiligentDan Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    To the OP: no, of course you're not racist, you just blurted out an insult in the heat of the moment, it's OK. It's getting ridiculous that everyone has to worry themselves stupid about words said in haste. Actually, even if you were a racist and you actually don't like white people very much, so what? Often, people of any specific race or ethnicity tend to like to be with others of their own grouping, and can feel a bit distrustful, rightly or wrongly, of those of a different grouping. Not because there's anything 'bad' or 'wrong' about people of other ethnic groups, but just because you feel more comfortable, or have more background in common with your own group. It's natural, nothing to be wound up about.