Options

Electrical Store Curry's & PC World employees are fighting back about wages/treatment

Adam_ShawAdam_Shaw Posts: 299
Forum Member
I came across @currys_jobs on Twitter which seem to be a group of angry employees who seem to be fighting back against the company. I have shopped at PC World many years a go and the service I received was pretty bad, the staff did seem unmotivated and miserable but reading through some of the horror stores I can see why. I honestly thought the guys working for Curry's would receive above minimum wage plus commission but many only seem to receive £6.19-£6.35 which is pretty bad considering the job they have to do, what with dealing with finance, product knowledge, ability to sell, and con people into taking out insurance etc.

I'm also really surprised to see they have over 10,000 Twitter followers considering the Curry's Twitter account only have a few thousand, are the Twitter followers on @currys_jobs fake or something?

I read the blog earlier & it brought tears to my eyes regarding the lack of breaks they get, sales pressure, and staff having to use food banks what a horrid company they seem to be. I for one will be taking my custom elsewhere, I have also signed the petition and I do believe staff should be getting a living wage, I also find it hard to believe people get more money an hour stacking shelves in supermarkets than working there.

http://currysjobs1.blogspot.co.uk/

Comments

• Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You mention the product knowledge they have to have but the Curry's/PC World staff I have dealt with in the past didn't have any product knowledge.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PC World staff, and to some extent Currys staff, have little to no product knowledge at all. They can be easily baffled by the simplest of questions about a product.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You mention the product knowledge they have to have but the Curry's/PC World staff I have dealt with in the past didn't have any product knowledge.

I wouldn't expect them to know everything they have to sell, I know when I purchased a washing machine the staff member although she seemed really upset & sad she knew a lot about the washing machines but did need to get advice from somebody else about different TV features I asked about she did apologise though, but to expect them to know everything especially as it seems from the Twitter account most are on 6,12 or 20 hour contracts.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    PC World staff, and to some extent Currys staff, have little to no product knowledge at all. They can be easily baffled by the simplest of questions about a product.

Mention Linux and watch them squirm :D
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Their staff are useless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Elyan wrote: »
    Their staff are useless.

LOL what sort of people do you expect them to employ for part/time work on minimum wage?

I now know what you never see more mature people working for the company apart from the managers.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Adam_Shaw wrote: »
    LOL what sort of people do you expect them to employ for part/time work on minimum wage?

I now know what you never see more mature people working for the company apart from the managers.

My comment was in response to you saying in the OP that they have great product knowledge and know how to sell things.

They are as adept at these tasks as my great aunt Audrey - and she's dead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My comment was in response to you saying in the OP that they have great product knowledge and know how to sell things.

They are as adept at these tasks as my great aunt Audrey - and she's dead.

But some of the staff do have good knowledge & others don't it's clear from the Twitter feed the training at Curry's is terrible.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't expect them to know everything they have to sell, I know when I purchased a washing machine the staff member although she seemed really upset & sad she knew a lot about the washing machines but did need to get advice from somebody else about different TV features I asked about she did apologise though, but to expect them to know everything especially as it seems from the Twitter account most are on 6,12 or 20 hour contracts.
    Washing machines with TV features are rare so you really need an expert in the field and not just a simple shop assistant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Their staff are useless.

This, but I've still signed the petition. People getting paid less than minimum wage is terrible and something I feel very strongly about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This, but I've still signed the petition. People getting paid less than minimum wage is terrible and something I feel very strongly about.

I have too but its odd only 170 people signed petition but nearly 11,000 followers on Twitter :confused:
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're sales assistants, that's the going rate, you make it sound as though they also do a bit of actuary and banking investment work on the side.

Welcome to the world of work, it is shit. I moan about my job too but I don't expect anyone to set up a petition because my hours have been cut and my workload has been doubled.
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Brits are so lazy, always moaning about work...
  • Options
    far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    They're all moaning about their mangers pushing them for targes,

but those managers will have managers who will be have targets for them too - and they're probably only doing that job to get away from the entry level that these members of staff are at...
  • Options
    xmodz10xmodz10 Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is common in nearly every high street jobs along with the zero hour contracts
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh, and £6-7 is the going rate for an entry level sales/customer service position.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    pugamo wrote: »
    Welcome to the world of work, it is shit. I moan about my job too but I don't expect anyone to set up a petition because my hours have been cut and my workload has been doubled.

That's the problem today, people are allowing themselves to get walked all over.

Get off your backside and fight back.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Their staff are useless.

If that was the case the company would have gone into receivership years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's the problem today, people are allowing themselves to get walked all over.

Not that easy when you're a tiny replaceable cog in a large national machine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If that was the case the company would have gone into receivership years ago.

It can't be too far away...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And get bullied out of work and lose my house? Yeah, good plan. I'm just looking for somewhere else to work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pugamo wrote: »
    And get bullied out of work and lose my house? Yeah, good plan. I'm just looking for somewhere else to work.

Hi Pugamo so is it really as bad as everyone is making out working for Curry's?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Pugamo so is it really as bad as everyone is making out working for Curry's?

I don't know, I don't work for Curry's :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    far2cool wrote: »
    They're all moaning about their mangers pushing them for targes,

but those managers will have managers who will be have targets for them too - and they're probably only doing that job to get away from the entry level that these members of staff are at...

But how many other jobs do you find with such high pressured and strict sales targets for a measly £6.35 an hour?

I've just read on the Twitter account @currys_jobs which is quite entertaining actually the managers all got paid £3400-£7000 in January's pay packet but it was the sales people that made the money!! :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But how many other jobs do you find with such high pressured and strict sales targets for a measly £6.35 an hour?

All jobs have targets. Supermarket cashiers have targets on how many items they need to scan per minute.

I'm not saying that these staff don't have grounds to whine - but they're making out like the're working in a illegal sweatshop