Options

Should Scotland be allowed to keep the pound if they vote for Independence?

BunionsBunions Posts: 15,046
Forum Member
✭✭
I understand why they'd want to but it does seem a bit cheeky to me.

Story here

Gideon says 'NO!' :kitty:

Should Scotland be allowed to keep the pound if they leave the UK 522 votes

Yes - I think they should be allowed to
16% 86 votes
No - I don't think they should be allowed to
83% 436 votes

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    I understand why they'd want to but it does seem a bit cheeky to me.

Story here

Gideon says 'NO!'
    :kitty:

Who? (filler)
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, why on earth should they? If Scotland wishes to cut ties with the rest of the UK, I see no reason they should expect to keep certain bits that they think will suit them.

However, I credit the people of Scotland with more sense that to be all "Braveheart" about the issue of independence. I expect a resounding "No" vote.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Why would they want their fiscal policies influenced by the Bank of England if they are an independent country?

No they should create their own currency or take the Euro.

Independence is independence. You can't have your cake and eat it.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    If you're going for independence, you're going for independence.

Sharing a currency generally requires that either both parties agree to certain things (usually based on who is bigger). or that the smaller party just follows the policies of the one whose currency it is.

If Scotland wants to be independent, then it's either going to have to accept that it's currency situation is going to depend on what the remaining UK thinks is good for the remaining UK (and we'd have no political reason to take into account Scotland's wishes, any more than we would the wishes of France when it came to making decisions that could affect the value of our currency), in which case Scotland would be in a worse position than they are now, or Scotland will have to come up with it's own currency thus allowing it's own fiscal policy to be set how it wants it.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Would hate to live in the border regions should they ditch the pound.
  • Options
    The FBIThe FBI Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not just ditch the pound but anything run outside Scotland. The dvla too. Sort your own out scotland and bugger off.

You can't cherry pick
  • Options
    MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it would probably be best for us and them if they kept the pound. It is only being used as a way to scare Scottish voters.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,651
    Forum Member
    They want to be independent then that also means sorting their own currency out.

Alex Salmond seems to want it all ways - independence for Scotland whilst still being tied to Westminster for things that suit him/his cause.

Go it alone or stay with us. Not something inbetween.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    No. Just to spite them.
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the SNP have any firm idea what they want. A few years ago they were championing how an independent Scotland would successfully go it alone, and be a success in much the same way as Iceland - that was just before the Icelandic economy went belly up. They have also championed the Euro in past times.

If they want to use the pound, then they can, but not as part of the decision making "Bank of England" stuff. The Pound is the currency of the UK, and should be managed in the best inteests of the UK, and nobody else. If Scotland doesn't want to be part of the (UK) club, then it casnnot expect to have any say in how that club manages its finances.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mudbox wrote: »
    it would probably be best for us and them if they kept the pound. It is only being used as a way to scare Scottish voters.

No it isn't it's the way banking works. The BoE have nothing to do with an independent Scotland.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »
    Who? (filler)

Oh, it's this feeble device the Left have for insulting George Osborne. Because he was actually christened Gideon George Osborne, right? And, like, Gideon is a posh name, right? So referring to him using a posh name, like totally undermines his credibility.

Funnily enough the same Lefties don't find it funny when people refer to Tony Benn as Sir Anthony Wedgewood-Benn...:D
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    I hold the opinion that Scotland doesn't have the right to cherry-pick what it wants to keep and drop in the event of independence.

But then again living in England, I feel a bit hypocritical as the UK continually cherry-picks what it wants and doesn't want from Europe. It's not the exact same scenario of course, but it feels a bit odd to be using the 'cherry picking' analogy :p
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, it's this feeble device the Left have for insulting George Osborne. Because he was actually christened Gideon George Osborne, right? And, like, Gideon is a posh name, right? So referring to him using a posh name, like totally undermines his credibility.

Funnily enough the same Lefties don't find it funny when people refer to Tony Benn as Sir Anthony Wedgewood-Benn...:D
    No - what undermines his credibility is the fact that he's a useless *****!

And this 'Leftie' doesn't care WTF you call any MP
  • Options
    MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hold the opinion that Scotland doesn't have the right to cherry-pick what it wants to keep and drop in the event of independence.

But it's a bit like a divorce where each party tries to get what it wants. Like marriage, both parties put something into the partnership, so both have a right to try to claim something back..
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    They should have a Scottish Pound.

Exchange rate: One Scottish Pound = 2 Haggis and a can of Tennents.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    They can keep the pound if they want. What they can't have, according to the main Westminster parties, is a currency union. There's a distinct difference between the two.

I voted 'No'.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Nilrem wrote: »
    If you're going for independence, you're going for independence.

Sharing a currency generally requires that either both parties agree to certain things (usually based on who is bigger). or that the smaller party just follows the policies of the one whose currency it is.

If Scotland wants to be independent, then it's either going to have to accept that it's currency situation is going to depend on what the remaining UK thinks is good for the remaining UK (and we'd have no political reason to take into account Scotland's wishes, any more than we would the wishes of France when it came to making decisions that could affect the value of our currency), in which case Scotland would be in a worse position than they are now, or Scotland will have to come up with it's own currency thus allowing it's own fiscal policy to be set how it wants it.

This ^^^
  • Options
    katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If shared rules are enough to ensure a stable currency union then yes, but I think the euro zone crisis has shown that it's easily not the case. The UK government has to act in the interest of England, Wales and Northern Ireland rather than an independant Scotland and if there is an unaceptable risk then the answer should be no.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They can have the Pound, Euro, Dollar or there own currency.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member

Many of the lefties I know affectionately refer to him as Wedgie and are quite proud of his record in terms of his decision to lose the title, so given that decision any reminder that he had a title actually enhances his credibility as someone who chose to give it up in line with his political beliefs. I think you may have misjudged with your example.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    But it's a bit like a divorce where each party tries to get what it wants. Like marriage, both parties put something into the partnership, so both have a right to try to claim something back..

It's not quite like a marriage though, as here both parties aren't getting a say in whether or not the divorce goes ahead - this is all on Scotland's terms. And fair enough of course, the country has every right to decide what is right for its future.

But then so too does the UK. The Pound is a UK establishment, and I believe the country has the right to reserve its usage from becoming part of a 'Poundzone' if that wouldn't happen to be in the country's best interests. If Scotland is making an independent decision to go independent, then they need to be able to accept that the UK is going to have its own best interests that might not always be to their benefit - though I do believe that whatever the outcome there will still be a healthy relationship with Scotland :)
  • Options
    daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No they shouldn't. I do think they will vote YES to independence though.
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jersey etc have the £ why not Scotland?
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member

Hopefully this will have the opposite effect (from the assumed intention) and make Scots more determined than ever to vote YES.

Go on jock, vote with your heart, ignore what your brain is telling you. (Turkeys vote for Christmas don't you know).

Old Scottish Money
    Before the act of union both the English and the Scottish pound was made up of twenty shillings, each of twelve pence. Thus there were 240 pence in a pound.

But there were 12 Scots pounds to the English pound. :D