Options

Paying to attend a birthday party - seriously?

Comments

• Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Hopefully hes booked it all so will be left to pay for it if nobody turns up! That would teach him.

Ive never heard of this before and i know i certainly wouldnt pay that to attend a party.
  • Options
    AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buy him a card ar a pound shop and leave it at that. You have got better things to spend your money on than ramping up someone elses ego.0
    Sod that. I'm getting a card from The Card Factory for 29p.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnitaS wrote: »
    Sod that. I'm getting a card from The Card Factory for 29p.

Way OTT in my opinion.
    Dig out an old card you have received and rub the writing out and sign that one.
    It's good to recycle :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am gently sowing a seed to my kids about low key weddings :D
    I'm gently persuading my teenage children that running away to Vegas and getting married by Elvis is the way forward, not a marquee, a string quartet, a magician, a harpist, a 5 course dinner, an open bar, and a firework display for 5000.

Fortunately neither my son nor my daughter seem keen on matrimony just now.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mean what a stupid new trend.

It's my birthday in march, shall I plan something way out of my range and expect everyone else to pay it?

It's very rude, ignorant and way too egotistical. What are these people thinking?

Yay! Will there be cake? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And red jelly? :D
  • Options
    Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only if you take it with you.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Way OTT in my opinion.
    Dig out an old card you have received and rub the writing out and sign that one.
    It's good to recycle :D

Now you go too far! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm gently persuading my teenage children that running away to Vegas and getting married by Elvis is the way forward, not a marquee, a string quartet, a magician, a harpist, a 5 course dinner, an open bar, and a firework display for 5000.

Fortunately neither my son nor my daughter seem keen on matrimony just now.

I think all of mine will get spliced sooner rather than later.
    One is on my wave length, one pretends he does not want to get married but I know he does, the other one will try to be a princess!
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hubby's been invited to a friends 30th boys only surprise week away in Ibizia - which would mean him missing his birthday celebrations with me and I would have to take a week off work to look after our dogs
  • Options
    UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nat28 wrote: »
    Weddings are the same too. What happened to small weddings at the local registrar or local church then a wee party at night. Now its thousands for this and that.

We have one of these to attend next weekend, a double wedding/50th birthday party. It is in our local town hall with a local band playing. Can't wait. I am glad we have friends with ordinary lives. I am done with these people who think they are above everyone else and that they are pretty special. In my opinion they are always people who were brought up in council estates but now live in a bought house so think they are really something special. Let me now add that I was brought up in a council estate too and now own my house (mortgaged) but I am just me. Take me or leave me. If I were you op I would tell your pal to shove it.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Tell him where to go

He's already decided - the Costwolds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    On his own :cry:
  • Options
    UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uffa wrote: »
    I am glad we have friends with ordinary lives. I am done with these people who think they are above everyone else and that they are pretty special. In my opinion they are always people who were brought up in council estates but now live in a bought house so think they are really something special. Let me now add that I was brought up in a council estate too and now own my house (mortgaged) but I am just me.

I have a friend who is from a VERY poor upbringing, he was off a very run down council estate in Newcastle.
    He is about my age now and all he has is self made, he is minted now.
    His Mum and Dad went that extra mile with him and steered him so well.
    He is one of the best blokes I know and still has all his friends from his old days.
    He does not lord it up at all.
    Of course he does do all sorts and goes to places that I will never be able to and fair play to him as he has earned it.

He asked his family if they wanted to move from where they are as he could 'sort' it for them.
    They all remained where they are.
    Money can change some, but not him.

Well done you Uffa for being on the housing market so young.
    You are still my new fave poster on here :D
  • Options
    talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keeps the lower class riff-raff out.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Hmmmm, it doesn't say on the invitation. Oh, and there's a 'wish list' as well - he doesn't just want party guests, he wants presents too.

He sounds greedy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He sounds greedy.
    He's not just greedy, he's socially inept too. I'm not the only recipient of the £270 party invitation, it appears, and the majority of potential guests are :o:o:o
  • Options
    zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    Hubby's been invited to a friends 30th boys only surprise week away in Ibizia - which would mean him missing his birthday celebrations with me and I would have to take a week off work to look after our dogs
    I'm sure he wouldn't even consider missing your celebration of his birthday to have a once in a lifetime adventure with his friends - as if he'd ever think of letting you and the dogs have a peaceful relaxing week off of work without him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I would tell him point blank that I wouldn't be going because he's being rude, self indulgent, and inconsiderate. I wouldn't sugar coat it...people like him need to be told.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    Hopefully hes booked it all so will be left to pay for it if nobody turns up! That would teach him.

Ive never heard of this before and i know i certainly wouldnt pay that to attend a party.
    I think the poor sod has booked it, and has no idea that most of his guests are strapped for cash. Even if I had £270 spare (plus £50 single room supplement) I can think of a certain Greek island and a beach with my towel on it, that is far more appealing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that a deliberate typo?:):D
  • Options
    ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's along the lines of these stag nights, hen nights, and marriages abroad.

It's taking the piss.

I wouldn't go.
  • Options
    DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I've had the displeasure of being invited to such an event, twice. The first time, my partner and I went. We also had to fork out for medieval costumes, and no, the bar wasn't free. I got bored early and went to bed at about midnight. We felt really pressured to go because it was his 40th and his relationship status had just changed from engaged to steady partner, so we (and a lot of others) felt he was having the party as a replacement for the wedding he was never going to get.

Cut to nearly two years later and his little brother has his 40th, we weren't invited to his birthday weekend party but were asked to donate £40 to his special treat of a track racing day, which we gave. Then we get another invite for a pay-to-attend 40th for him, hosted by the brother, in the same venue as he'd had his. We couldn't afford it as I'd lost my job, and they happened to be throwing it on my own birthday too, three weeks after his. We declined as politely as possible, and I had a mini party where some friends family and children came to my house for a slice of cake, and then went out for a curry (the guests didn't have to pay). Our 'friend' and brother of the not-really-his-birthday-anymore boy threw a hissy fit at me and partner, and a friend and partner who came to my dinner for not coughing up to go to their extravagant do. The cost of the hotel isn't even the whole of it. ~You also have to factor in the travel expenses, childcare arrangements, yadda yadda yadda. It's just not worth it and I'll never be going to one of them again.

As has already been said, people should throw parties that are within their own means instead of showing off and trying to force guests in to paying for the party they want but can't afford. It's cheap, and nasty, and downright unfair. It's also difficult to have fun if you're throwing resentment dart eyes at the party host all evening for spending your hard earned money on a shitty disco in a fancy ball room.
  • Options
    deev1ne0nedeev1ne0ne Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    plymgary wrote: »
    I would tell him point blank that I wouldn't be going because he's being rude, self indulgent, and inconsiderate. I wouldn't sugar coat it...people like him need to be told.

Amen to that.