Options

Top Of The Pops 1979 (BBC4)

Comments

• Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tucker_91 wrote: »
    sexuality shouldn't define who you are as a human being.

Some people clearly want it to define themselves. I think there should be much more to someone than that of course.
  • Options
    corriandercorriander Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    ah but coming out in the 1980s was an option, for stars and regular people. Bronski Beat, Tom Robinson, Communards, Andy Bell, Holly Johnson... all out and proud at the time, even Boy George had finally come out by 1988, as had one MP (Chris Smith).

But these were the generation younger than Mercury, Kenny Everett, etc. And Mercury hadn't been politicised around his sexuality like Tom Robinson, Bell or Somerville. Also you could argue Mercury had far more to lose, having become a global star in countries with hostile attitudes to homosexuality. And he had the rest of the band to consider (not to mention a very conservative family).

He was very typical of many gay men of that time: not 'out' to his family, or professionally and resigned to living a public life where his sexuality wasn't discussed and a private life of boyfriends, gay friends and an active life on the gay scene. And of course in those days the media weren't as intrusive as they are now. These days a star's private life is considerd fair game for speculation, innuendo and sometimes plain old 'outing'.

Dead right of course. Coming out was becoming an option in the 1970s and 1980s, but was much rarer than now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    starry wrote: »
    Some people clearly want it to define themselves. I think there should be much more to someone than that of course.

Well there always was more than sexuality to identity, but it just seemed and seems important to highlight that area when equality had not been achieved, that is all.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh, Hot Space. Not my fave Queen album. Too disco. Too Mercury.

Still please convince me that it is underestimated.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    corriander wrote: »
    Oh, Hot Space. Not my fave Queen album. Too disco. Too Mercury.

Still please convince me that it is underestimated.

It's not their finest hour. Even though it is generally considered a disco album there are some decent 'traditional' Queen tracks on there, 'Las Palabras De Amor' and 'Under Pressure' being on there as well a lesser known rocker 'Put Out The Fire', but these alongside the disco tracks make it a very disjointed album. And also I think disco was a bit outdated by the time 'Hot Space' came out. I'm not a fan of the disco tracks but 'Body Language' is a guilty pleasure :blush: . One of the first music videos banned from MTV believe. Not sure if it was shown on Top of the Pops, highly doubt it.

The album was made during a turbulent period for the band. Freddie was very into the gay scene at this point and was also influenced by his manager Paul Prenter. Apparently he influenced the direction Mercury's (and ultimately Queen's) music was going, also the success of 'Another One Bites The Dust' pushed them towards disco. Roger Taylor and Brian May were against this direction - I believe Taylor compared it with music you'd hear at a gay club - and Deacon was in support of the disco. As a result this caused a bit of a divide in the band and 'Hot Space' reflected this. Just what I remember from the brilliant 'Days of our Lives' documentary.

The 1982 Milton Keynes Bowl gig that Rich Tea mentioned is one of my favourite concerts of theirs - and Mercury clarifies that they are still a rock band despite the disco to sounds of huge cheers which I love.
  • Options
    faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Next week, we have no Pops, but we do have some musical treats coming on BBC 4. On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday at 9pm, we get Danny Baker's Rockin' Decades, which will focus on the 70's, the 80's and then the nineties. Each has special guests relevant to the decade under discussion, and is followed by Danny Baker Rocks The.......A Bit, which TV Cream are describing as a sort of TOTP 2 presented by Baker.

The first item introduced on 'Danny Baker Rocks The 70s (A Bit)' on Monday was The Who's mimed 'Join Together' performance video (as seen on TOTP in July 1972) which he explained was filmed on a Sunday afternoon in June 1972 in the same LWT studio where 'The X Factor' is now made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HDMCCLlGl4

Danny Baker also said the video was directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg (son of Orson Welles) who began his career directing the 1960s British pop programme 'Ready Steady Go!' and later worked extensively with the Beatles (he directed the full length documentary feature 'Let It Be' in 1969) and the Rolling Stones.

At least seven videos directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg have been shown on TOTP since the BBC Four repeats started in April 2011:

The Beatles: Hey Jude; Get Back (1976)
    The Rolling Stones: Fool To Cry (1976); Miss You; Respectable (1978)
    Wings: Mull Of Kintyre (1977); With A Little Luck (1978)

'Join Together' received a new lease of life this year when a re-mixed 'dub' version of the song was used to soundtrack a new Sony TV commercial in the USA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyokM38u0U0

Consequently young people previously unfamiliar with this 42 year old record have been seeking it out on YouTube and comments such as 'the sony ad brought me here' appear in the Comments beneath the video.
  • Options
    Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just bumping back up. A lot of posts have been removed for obvious reasons.

What's on next week's show? Anyone give me a head's up?
  • Options
    SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Some good stuff...some not-so-good looking stuff. Without giving too much away, you might want to start brushing up on your lyrics ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAsmf1LGcpA
  • Options
    tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    Ah, thanks! I don't remember it, so that's probably a fair assessment :)
    TheWayItIs wrote: »
    You're welcome!
    Yes, it was more of a meandering ballad than anything.
    The guys looked smart but the song itself was pretty ordinary and unspectacular.

I think it's fair to say The Jacksons' singles were very hit and miss. You'd have a run of good ones followed by some absolute mediocre offerings. 'Destiny' definitely isn't the most memorable of tracks, and I wonder whether it has a lot to do with it being the first album they had control over the writing and production for.

I was a big MJ fan in the 1980s and 1990s and fondly remember that Dad had all of the 12" and a lot of 7" singles from The Jacksons/MJ. It so happened he also had this:

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=157305

The limited edition 12" single of 'Destiny,' featuring the 'special extended disco remix' of 'Blame it on the Boogie,' which was on the b-side. It is a brilliant disco remix, and the guy who did it (John Luongo) did a better job when remixing 'Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground).'

I remember flipping it over to listen to the A-side - 'Destiny' - and thinking that it probably should have been the B-side!
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see that 'Join Together' is still popular, a classic from The Who.
  • Options
    LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    There's no admin notice so, as the opening poster, I'll say for the sake of the thread's future...there are still court proceedings to take place in terms of charges and bail. These are still legal matters that are yet to be sorted so please refrain from making further comments regarding you know who about you know what for the time being.

Please do not respond to this post. Just take it on board.
  • Options
    LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member

I'm particularly looking forward to Lene Lovich. However, The Dooleys are back so you've been warned.
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    I'm particularly looking forward to Lene Lovich. However,

Absolutely!! ;-)

Lene Lovich is another underrated artist - who should've had more hits!! :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just to say - whoever stated the other week, that music started going downhill in 1987 - I have to agree! :o

I have just listened to the Top 20 countdown from February 1987, on my local radio show - and what utter dross! >:( - Infact - I can only name one good song out of all of it - Down to Earth by Curiosity Killed the Cat!!

I must admit - though I never really rated 1987 too highly in the first place - I didn't think it got so rubbish so much early on! :(
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    Just to say - whoever stated the other week, that music started going downhill in 1987 - I have to agree! :o

I have just listened to the Top 20 countdown from February 1987, on my local radio show - and what utter dross! >:( - Infact - I can only name one good song out of all of it - Down to Earth by Curiosity Killed the Cat!!

I must admit - though I never really rated 1987 too highly in the first place - I didn't think it got so rubbish so much early on! :(

:confused: >:(

Almaz by Randy Crawford is brilliant!! Plus Blow Monkeys, Pepsi & Shirley, Michael Crawford & Sarah Brightman, Elkie Brooks, Smiths, Alison Moyet, Eric Clapton, Level 42 and Ben E King all in the Top 20. And You Sexy Thing (and even Male Stripper!). You sure you didn't turn the dial to some other station by mistake during the show?
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely!! ;-)

Another one I'll end up singing the Barron Knights' lyrics to.

A little lamb followed me across the moors, but it soon ran away when I yelled 'MINT SAUCE!' ee-oo ee-oo
  • Options
    Forum Member

Almaz by Randy Crawford is brilliant!! Plus Blow Monkeys, Pepsi & Shirley, Michael Crawford & Sarah Brightman, Elkie Brooks, Smiths, Alison Moyet, Eric Clapton, Level 42 and Ben E King all in the Top 20. And You Sexy Thing (and even Male Stripper!). You sure you didn't turn the dial to some other station by mistake during the show?

Exactly - terrible selection! Especially that Pepsi & Shirley song >:( :(

Although Almaz is quite a nice song!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member

I must admit - though I never really rated 1987 too highly in the first place - I didn't think it got so rubbish so much early on! :([/

I remember hearing the dreadful Jack Your Body by Steve "Silk" Hurley in 1986 and couldn't believe such dross could make it into the charts let alone top them. I guess that was in some ways a belwether to the rubbish that folowed - SAW, smiley faces and drugged up idiots vomiting in fields in Basildon to trance crap. Stop the world I want to get off, as Anthony Newley so piquantly observed.
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm particularly looking forward to Lene Lovich. However, The Dooleys are back so you've been warned.

I like both of those songs, (I'm assuming its 'Wanted' by the Dooleys), I have very eclectic taste! :blush::D

'Almaz' is a great song.
  • Options
    terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely!! ;-)

Lennon mentioned he liked her during one of his last interviews.
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's true that 1987 wasn't one of the better years for music and the top 20 for this week back then wasn't the best. But there were a number of singles that failed to make the top 20 which were good. In particular I like the following (chart position from this week listed)

27 Magic Smile - Rosie Vela
    35 Forgotten Town - The Christians
    50 Outside In The Rain - Gwen Guthrie
    57 Evangeline - Icicle Works
    58 Caught Up In The Rapture - Anita Baker
    59 This Brutal House - Nitro Deluxe
    60 Ship Of Fools - World Party
    68 Walking Down Your Street - The Bangles
    72 Let Her Fall - Then Jerico
    78 Keep Your Hands To Yourself - Georgia Satellites
    83 Beautiful Imbalance - Thrashing Doves
    84 Give Me The Reason - Luther Vandross
    88 When Love Comes Calling - Paul Johnson
    96 Mama Told Me - Fantastique
    100 Meeting Place - XTC

The Fantastique single at number 96 was originally a hit in Belgium in 1981 and after being a big favourite in clubs over the years finally made the charts in 1986, peaking at number 84 a week before Christmas 1986. I can remember it from 1983 or 1984 and bought the 12" in 1985. It's a glorious piece of Euro music of a style that was popular in gay clubs and mainstream clubs alike. It's utterly camp-tastic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJrMqRZiJdY

Because it dates from 1981 it sounds out of place in a 1987 chart because, as good as it is, the use of the vocoder makes it sound like a 'Funkytown' clone and so makes it sound very much of its time.

My favourite song from the above is the sublime 'Magic Smile' by Rosie Vela. An excellent song that deserved to be a big hit but sadly peaked at number 27

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwaiZL51H6I

It's not the best of recordings and it sounds like the tape it was originally recorded on wasn't playing properly.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been watching and enjoying these shows religously for the last few years but can anyone please tell me how the hell Darts were so big in this period. They are on the show every few weeks and always so bloody awful (apologies to fans).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Torch81 wrote: »
    I like both of those songs, (I'm assuming its 'Wanted' by the Dooleys), I have very eclectic taste! :blush::D

'Almaz' is a great song.
    Even though I hated the Dooleys I always thought 'Wanted' was a brilliant song. In fact i still like it.

I've never liked 'Almaz' though. There's something about her warbly voice that I just couldn't get into and the records I did like by her - 'Street Life' with The Crusaders, 'One Day I'll Fly Away', 'You MIght Need Somebody' and 'Rainy Night In Georgia' - I liked despite and not because of her voice. another singer with a warbly style voice, Elkie Brooks, was in the top 20 this week in 1987 with the slightly over the top but good 'No More The Fool'. I love the song, again despite her voice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    Been watching and enjoying these shows religously for the last few years but can anyone please tell me how the hell Darts were so big in this period. They are on the show every few weeks and always so bloody awful (apologies to fans).
    They were a very popular singles band and back in those days the big singles bands released a new single every three months or so hewnce why the likes of darts and Showaddywaddy seemed to be on every few weeks.

They were one of those bands that people just seemed to like without them seemingly ever being anyone's actual favourite act.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    It's true that 1987 wasn't one of the better years for music and the top 20 for this week back then wasn't the best. But there were a number of singles that failed to make the top 20 which were good. In particular I like the following (chart position from this week listed)

27 Magic Smile - Rosie Vela
    35 Forgotten Town - The Christians
    60 Ship Of Fools - World Party
    100 Meeting Place - XTC

Oh yes - very perceptive of you!! :o The Mission's Wasteland was out then too! :)

I loved the above tracks! Plus - the top 2 remind me of The Tube's last few shows, in 1987 - as The Christians, Rosie Vela and The Mission were all on the same show in January! (Wish I had the video! :cry:)

Infact - if it wasn't for the alternative music scene in the late 80s - I don't know what I would've done! :(
This discussion has been closed.