Options

Have any soap characters succeeded in attempting suicide?

wise-upwise-up Posts: 2,023
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was reading the Beale's story thread and someone suggested maybe Ian will attempt suicide. I am just wondering if the show has ever killed anyone off with suicide that wasn't euthanasia like Hayley or Ethel or Jackson. Most characters try and fail, like esther HO and Kat EE.

Comments

• Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Katy in Corrie
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did Donna Ludlow overdose or was it an accident? (I didn't watch at the time, just going by Wikipedia)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's many character that i would love to see commit suicide.
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's many character that i would love to see commit suicide.

Majority of the women in Corrie for a start.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Niall from Hollyoaks jumped off a cliff and Lewis also from Hollyoaks successfully killed himself
  • Options
    iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    Stella Crawford EE, Mad May EE
  • Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bradley Branning?
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard Hillman!
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emmerdale's Chris Tate.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. May Wright did and Tony did off-screen in EastEnders.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,258
    Forum Member
    Donna's overdose was accidental (she choked on her own vomit) but she'd Definately been on a downward spiral - just getting onto heroin in the first plave eas deliberately self destructive and near suicidal.

Janet Barlow killed herself in Corrie. Also Katy Harris as mentioned. There have been quite a few in American and Australian Soaps - Paul Shepherd in Sons and Daughters, Paul Robinson's first wife Terri in Neighbour's, Joseph Anders in Dynasty, Jill Bennett in Knots Landing and I'm sure a lot more I've forgotten.

Chris Tate did kill himself but he did it as revenge on Charity, trying to frame her and because he knew he was dying anyway. It wasn't a depression suicide.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Esther from HO was meant to die originally.
  • Options
    iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    redrose89 wrote: »
    Esther from HO was meant to die originally.
    Why did they change it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iMatt_101 wrote: »
    Why did they change it?

It was the original idea according to one of the writing team but I don't know how far the idea got. Maybe they thought it would be too extreme?
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    The earliest was probably Mrs Bailey in Crossroads in the 70's! She was smitten with her doctor, and overdosed in her chalet.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see Fizz succeed in suicide.
  • Options
    LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think everyone would ^^ lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    iMatt_101 wrote: »
    Why did they change it?

I think they wanted to send out a positive message - that bullying is something that can be overcome. Also, we're impressed with the actress during the storyline and wanted to keep her.

That also happened with Ruth in Casualty - they decided they wanted to keep Georgia Taylor so her suicide failed. Kelly Liddle back in season 6 did succeed though. Also Kelly in Holby City (must be the name) killed herself and there was a big question mark over Diane - whether her death was an accident or suicide.
  • Options
    MCALLY21MCALLY21 Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Didn't Kevin's wife commit suicide by jumping in front of a lorry after she kidnapped a baby in Corrie?
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chris tate did!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Succeeded you mean? Yes, there was Leo Taylor, Demi's (Miller) boyfriend and father of her daughter Alesha.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Chris tate did!

He did but the motivation was different to usual (depression in most cases). It was done to get revenge on Charity with the side benefit of being quick (though painful I'd imagine), saving him from the terminal illness he'd been diagnosed with.

So more of a Hayley, Ethel situation, with as I say, the benefit of destroying Charity - or so he thought.
  • Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris tate did!

I've just watched this back, what a dramatic death. He was gone within 2 seconds of drinking it. Plus Cain's got his Brit-pop hair & Charity's got her Annie Lennox do. lol!
  • Options
    BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,735
    Forum Member
    Sarah Lewis and Sam Holden on H&A
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've just watched this back, what a dramatic death. He was gone within 2 seconds of drinking it. Plus Cain's got his Brit-pop hair & Charity's got her Annie Lennox do. lol!

Looool!

Would u believe I thought cain was ugly then? I hate brit pop hair dos in my defence.

Chris tate was a fantastic character. I miss him. Sad face.