Options

Three 4G Rollout | Free 4G for ALL!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Woah woah woah.... hold up a second there! Don't upload too much otherwise you'll hit your limited data cap.... oh wait.... :D

LOL :D

Sure Olaf Swantee is out of touch 20Gb for £37.99 no thanks.

http://www.mobilenewscwp.co.uk/2014/02/20/ee-accuses-three-of-devaluing-4g-by-offering-it-for-free/
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three seems to have gone cat video crazy http://blog.three.co.uk/

1, 5 and 10 are good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    So if three have now updated all accounts for 4g are we just now waiting for the software push to enable it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    That's so strange that Dundee had 4G as the coverage checker is saying no coverage hmm
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the slightly dubious assertion that all customers can use 4G, it's probably time that 3 updated the message on their coverage checker, as it still says that there's a limited trial and when they plan to start the rollout.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    That's so strange that Dundee had 4G as the coverage checker is saying no coverage hmm
    It makes me wonder how many other places have access to 4G, perhaps Horsham. :)
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The coverage checker is due for another update very shortly I believe. So you'll see any 4G base stations that have been added in various places.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    Wish Solihull had 4G 😞
  • Options
    Night HawkNight Hawk Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    Well I have a IPad air with a 3 sIm inside it and the iPad is displaying a 4G symbol

Next to it is a nexus 5 from 3 and is NOT displaying a 4G symbol

Should I be worried !??????

Not worried, no.

Three do say that they are still pushing out updates for certain products - so give it a few days.

Nexus 5 does seem to be one a lot of people are waiting for.

But it's a firmware/software thing. Your SIM card is done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Night Hawk wrote: »
    Not worried, no.

Three do say that they are still pushing out updates for certain products - so give it a few days.

Nexus 5 does seem to be one a lot of people are waiting for.

But it's a firmware/software thing. Your SIM card is done.

Does the 3-supplied Nexus 5 even have specially branded/customised software?

It'd remove one of the major reasons to buying it - software updates, direct from Google, no delay.

My N5 has no problem using LTE (sim-free).
  • Options
    DarreninessexDarreninessex Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Have you tried putting your 4G ipad sim in your nexus 5 ?.

Would that help.....if so if what way ???
  • Options
    SkieSkie Posts: 65
    Forum Member

I'm sure as soon as the contracts for the early adopters begin running out they will change their tune.

I'd feel a bit of a pillock now if I had locked myself into an expensive 24 month contract just to see Three, O2 and Tesco all announce it would be free to their customers. At least they only have to wait until October-ish to escape.
  • Options
    SkieSkie Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Would that help.....if so if what way ???

It would let you see if it's the phone or the sim that is not finding 4G. You know the sim in the iPad can connect to 4G, so if it can connect when in the phone then your phones sim has not been enabled for it yet. If on the other hand the phone won't connect to 4g even with the ipad sim in it but the ipad will with the phone sim in then its something to do with the phone itself not wanting to connect to 4G.

Simples :kitty:
  • Options
    ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlc2009 wrote: »
    I'm also very unimpressed with the tethering performance.

Same here. I often find it better to stay on 3G whilst tethering.

Also when I tether then stop, my phone is still being traffic managed until I reboot the data connection.
  • Options
    simon69csimon69c Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if three have now updated all accounts for 4g are we just now waiting for the software push to enable it?
    When they say a software update it is basically just the over the air settings to enable the 4G switch option in your settings. On the iPhone it is called a Carrier Update - it will be something similar for other handsets. If you can see a 4G/LTE option in your Cellular settings (and have it switched on) then your handset should be good to go.

Supposedly as of yesterday Three have also now flagged all accounts as "4G enabled" from their end too - so basically all you should need now is to find somewhere with some 4G goodness!

I hadn't seen any 4G on my handset so far, but according to the coverage checker the 4G areas of Glasgow are a bit out of the way for me - but after work today I drove over to the east end and hey presto, picked up some 4G - so all looks good. Now I just need Three to spread the 4G love to parts of Glasgow where people actually spend time - like errr - the city centre?! ;)
  • Options
    simon69csimon69c Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I have a IPad air with a 3 sIm inside it and the iPad is displaying a 4G symbol

Next to it is a nexus 5 from 3 and is NOT displaying a 4G symbol

Should I be worried !??????
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but have you checked your Nexus 5 settings to see if 4G (also known as LTE) has been enabled in the cellular data section? I don't have an Android so don't know exactly where it would be found, but shouldn't be too hard to locate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simon69c wrote: »
    When they say a software update it is basically just the over the air settings to enable the 4G switch option in your settings. On the iPhone it is called a Carrier Update - it will be something similar for other handsets. If you can see a 4G/LTE option in your Cellular settings (and have it switched on) then your handset should be good to go.

But three can't update the software on sim free phones - can they?

So whose doing it? The manufacturers themselves?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member

Supposedly as of yesterday Three have also now flagged all accounts as "4G enabled" from their end too - so basically all you should need now is to find somewhere with some 4G goodness!

I hadn't seen any 4G on my handset so far, but according to the coverage checker the 4G areas of Glasgow are a bit out of the way for me - but after work today I drove over to the east end and hey presto, picked up some 4G - so all looks good. Now I just need Three to spread the 4G love to parts of Glasgow where people actually spend time - like errr - the city centre?! ;)

I'm supposedly in a good area for 4g according to the coverage map but still nothing and there's no LTE in data settings but I'll be in central Birmingham on Saturday so we will see then :o
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    100%

However be aware you're flashing a new ROM. It's similar to doing a factory reset except that it'll void your warranty as well.

So make sure you know what you're doing/are aware of the risks.

But tbh I'd just wait for the software update/account enabling.

You can select not to overwrite (clear) data so you can do it without losing any data, although I'd recommend backing up anything vital just in case.

Contacts, bookmarks etc will be backed up with Google anyway. Email would be too if using Gmail, while your apps (and data) should also be backed up.

So it's really only any images/videos on the internal storage memory you might want to save in case.

I've done loads of Flashtools updates on Sony phones (Xperia S, SP, T, Z, Z1, Tablet Z etc) and never once had a problem... although the most recent update for the Z1 did kill over 50% of the battery, so when it says to do the update with a fully charged battery - please DO make sure it's full.

I suspect it was an issue with battery calibration that saw the drop, not a genuine drop, but don't risk it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    WOW got 45 meg down and 8 meg up in NW London, faster than my Sky FIbre.

This is amazing, really didn't expect 4G to surpass our brandband speeds, can see future Fibre prices dropping.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Are you in a 4G area?

Spend most work days in a 4G area including today but no sign of any 4G. Was also in Central London at the weekend and no 4G.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jalal wrote: »
    This is amazing, really didn't expect 4G to surpass our brandband speeds, can see future Fibre prices dropping.

Not when 4G wouldn't be able to provide that sort of speed to everyone, whereas fixed-line broadband easily can and more.

If everyone cancelled their fibre connections and moved to 4G, you wouldn't be getting 45Mbps for long. It's going to be relatively fast for now as not many people have 4G phones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three wrote: »
    Same here. I often find it better to stay on 3G whilst tethering.

Also when I tether then stop, my phone is still being traffic managed until I reboot the data connection.

I haven't noticed needing to reboot, but there's definitely traffic shaping kicking in (I can't seem to go past 3Mbps) when I do tether.

I'm not that impressed with the speeds when not tethering, I can't seem to push 20Mbit no matter where I am in Reading, It's still better than the congested 3G but it isn't going to blow the doors off. The upload is more impressive but I'm not too bothered about that.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Supposedly as of yesterday Three have also now flagged all accounts as "4G enabled" from their end too - so basically all you should need now is to find somewhere with some 4G goodness.

The point of the SIM update was to set a flag on the SIM so certain handsets that hide the 4G option would then show it. I know that the SIM-free Xperia SP that my wife had didn't show the 4G option when her SIM card was in it, although I've subsequently changed the ROM to update the OS and it came back - but now she has an Xperia Z, which was also generic but didn't hide the option with her SIM. Go figure.

I guess the Three-branded models probably do/did hide it. Just as they won't let you select 2G only. Presumably some SIM-free models will also read that flag and hide the option too? I know my Orange SIM used to hide the ability to select 3G-only, which was annoying, but that was fixed ages ago with a SIM Update (and one that displayed text to show it had been received and to reboot).

That's why flashing a generic ROM usually solves the problem, as it changes a settings file (if you root your phone, you can just edit that file and not change the ROM at all) to tell it to look at the SIM, or just show certain options regardless.

Thus, I am starting to think that Three hasn't sent any SIM updates at all. It's merely been adding IMSI numbers to a white list to register on 4G.

Or it has only sent SIM updates to certain users, namely those with an IMEI registered to their account that is a Three-issued device that was set to check for a flag on the SIM. Those with SIM-free devices that may or may not check are still to get the update (hence my advice to perhaps change the ROM yourself and save time).

It's all a bit confusing, but I am going to stick with the theory that Three hasn't sent updates to everyone - but it HAS added every SIM to the appropriate list to use 4G.
  • Options
    Sphinxy1Sphinxy1 Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    I haven't noticed needing to reboot, but there's definitely traffic shaping kicking in (I can't seem to go past 3Mbps) when I do tether.

I'm not that impressed with the speeds when not tethering, I can't seem to push 20Mbit no matter where I am in Reading, It's still better than the congested 3G but it isn't going to blow the doors off. The upload is more impressive but I'm not too bothered about that.

I've never noticed that 3G was ever capped when tethering.

..Please don't tell me they have introduced a 3Mbps cap exclusive to 4G. Not good news :(
This discussion has been closed.