Options

The All Purpose Rugby Union Thread (P2)

Comments

• Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Dunno about that, North at outside centre? Well, saves himself cutting off the wing I guess. Sensibly dropped Phillips.

I haven't got a good feeling about North's move to centre, I'll readily admit.

Very pleased with Phillips' benching, he's a liability. Webb deserves the chance on his own merit though, following his performance for the Ospreys last week.
  • Options
    Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno about that, North at outside centre? Well, saves himself cutting off the wing I guess. Sensibly dropped Phillips.

Sensibly dropped Mike Phillips? Have you seen who they've picked in his place? :o

I have a feeling I'll be watching Friday's game from behind the sofa.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sensibly dropped Mike Phillips? Have you seen who they've picked in his place? :o

I have a feeling I'll be watching Friday's game from behind the sofa.

What's wrong with Webb getting an opportunity? He's been playing a better game than Phillips has lately, and he can keep a lid on his temper.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sensibly dropped Mike Phillips?
    I thought he was subbed last match by Gatland to avoid being carded, but have just found he was yellow-carded. No wonder Gatland said "It's probably an opportunity [for Phillips] to reflect on his performance against Ireland".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought he was subbed last match by Gatland to avoid being carded, but have just found he was yellow-carded. No wonder Gatland said "It's probably an opportunity [for Phillips] to reflect on his performance against Ireland".

A few people I've spoken to turned out not to notice that he had actually been sin-binned, in the chaos of the end of the match.
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    more team news
    England: 15 Mike Brown (Harlequins); 14 Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs), 13 Luther Burrell (Northampton Saints), 12 Billy Twelvetrees (Gloucester), 11 Jonny May (Gloucester); 10 Owen Farrell (Saracens), 9 Danny Care (Harlequins); 1 Joe Marler (Harlequins), 2 Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), 3 David Wilson (Bath), 4 Joe Launchbury (London Wasps), 5 Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), 6 Tom Wood (Northampton Saints), 7 Chris Robshaw (Harlequins, capt), 8 Billy Vunipola (Saracens).

Replacements: 16 Tom Youngs (Leicester Tigers), 17 Mako Vunipola (Saracens), 18 Henry Thomas (Sale Sharks), 19 Dave Attwood (Bath), 20 Ben Morgan (Gloucester), 21 Lee Dickson (Northampton Saints), 22 George Ford (Bath), 23 Alex Goode (Saracens).
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    final lot of team news
    Ireland: 15 Rob Kearney, 14 Andrew Trimble, 13 Brian O'Driscoll, 12 Gordon D'Arcy, 11 Dave Kearney, 10 Johnny Sexton, 9 Conor Murray, 8 Jamie Heaslip, 7 Chris Henry, 6 Peter O'Mahony, 5 Paul O'Connell (c), 4 Devin Toner, 3 Mike Ross, 2 Rory Best, 1 Cian Healy.

Replacements: 16 Sean Cronin, 17 Jack McGrath, 18 Martin Moore, 19 Iain Henderson, 20 Jordi Murphy, 21 Isaac Boss, 22 Paddy Jackson, 23 Fergus McFadden.

Italy: 15 Luke McLean, 14 Angelo Esposito, 13 Michele Campagnaro, 12 Gonzalo Garcia, 11 Leonardo Sarto, 10 Tommaso Allan, 9 Edoardo Gori, 8 Sergio Parisse, 7 Robert Barbieri, 6 Alessandro Zanni, 5 Joshua Furno, 4 Quintin Geldenhuys, 3 Martin Castrogiovanni, 2 Leonardo Ghiraldini, 1 Alberto De Marchi.

Replacements: 16 Davide Giazzon, 17 Matias Aguero, 18 Lorenzo Cittadini, 19 Marco Bortolami, 20 Paul Derbyshire, 21 Tobias Botes, 22 Luciano Orquera, 23 Tommaso Iannone.
  • Options
    Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Predictions with teams to win in bold:

Wales v France
    England v Ireland
    Italy v Scotland

I think all 3 matches will be very tight.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet could still win the 6 nations :eek:

As it stands, any one of England, Ireland, Wales or France can win it yet.....I suppose it makes for an exciting championship.
  • Options
    Nathers7Nathers7 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great start if you're an Ireland fan :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nathers7 wrote: »
    Great start if you're an Ireland fan :)

And great for Wales themselves....there's only one team in it so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, we've already scored more in 10 minutes than we did for the entire game against Ireland so I can't complain so far!
  • Options
    Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's wrong with Webb getting an opportunity? He's been playing a better game than Phillips has lately, and he can keep a lid on his temper.

Fair play, I'll admit when I'm wrong. Rhys Webb had a bloody good game today.

He's not the second coming of Gareth Edwards but he reminded me a bit of when Dwayne Peel was thrown in instead of Rob Howley way back in the day. On paper a terrible decision but it all worked out well on the pitch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, we've already scored more in 10 minutes than we did for the entire game against Ireland so I can't complain so far!

That's a good lead too.....won't be easy for France to claw their way back into the game seeing as they are the away side.

I don't think France are playing at all well. Some flashes of good play but it's all very messy and disjointed.
  • Options
    Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guess I erred in my prediction. France are very poor. One day, France will actually appoint a coach who picks & gets their team playing to their strengths but probably won't be in my lifetime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    That's a good lead too.....won't be easy for France to claw their way back into the game seeing as they are the away side.

I don't think France are playing at all well. Some flashes of good play but it's all very messy and disjointed.

I'll be the first to admit I wasn't holding out much hope pre-match, but it would appear they've pulled their socks up. Gethin Jenkins is, as always, an absolute powerhouse.
  • Options
    BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come on France! ABW.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do France have a game plan?
    Seems like they want to make up as they go but without the ball!

Wales score reflects possession and intent, though their try was a bit of a fluke (a bit like France 2 v England).
    Scrums a shambles, but yet again a substandard pitch ensures the scrum will be insecure at times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Change kicker after 2 kicks?? What is that about?
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    I doubt France will be any better in the second half. They have the same problem as England in football - the clubs call the tune.
  • Options
    christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great result. Da iawn boyos :)
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Rotten decision by Rolland on the third yellow card. Good job he's retiring.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    apaul wrote: »
    Rotten decision by Rolland on the third yellow card. Good job he's retiring.

Is he? Wales will rejoice :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought [or was that hoped] that France wouldn't win the Grand Slam ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I watching the same match as the Welsh commentators? They have forgotten that France are one man down, so the scrums lineouts etc aren't equal.