✭✭✭
    Is he? Wales will rejoice :D

And England :D
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Scrums a shambles, but yet again a substandard pitch ensures the scrum will be insecure at times.

Can't say I wasn't impressed with Wales' last scrum, France moved back at quite a pace.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I watching the same match as the Welsh commentators? They have forgotten that France are one man down, so the scrums lineouts etc aren't equal.

For the neutral, this hasn't been a good game to watch - endless re-set scrums do not a spectacle make :cry:
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't say I wasn't impressed with Wales' last scrum, France moved back at quite a pace.
    8 v 7 so would be a failure if Wales did not have the edge.
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    The French are a shambles plus they're now out on their feet as most of them played less than a week ago. Lot better Welsh performance than the first two games.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ****ing hell another collapsed scrum.
    France get the penalty ??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ****ing hell another collapsed scrum.
    France get the penalty ??

Rolland is clueless about the scrum so he is giving alternate penalties :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't recall the last time I saw such imprecision in the French back line. Passes in to touch, passes behind, failing to find the support runner.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought [or was that hoped] that France wouldn't win the Grand Slam ;-)

They're not that good if truth be told. They never should have won the England game, they were clearly second best there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    8 v 7 so would be a failure if Wales did not have the edge.

Of course, but then the onus is on the players not to get sent off and unbalance the scrum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    They're not that good if truth be told. They never should have won the England game, they were clearly second best there.
    Which makes it even more galling [or should that be Gaul-ling] that they did >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Points difference becoming interesting then :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an odd match. France just didn't turn up and had no plan of what to do and made a huge number of errors. Wales were efficient in first half and turned points to pressure with a lucky try and a then a dodgy try in the second half (you can roll the ball forward to score??).
    Scrums were dire, Rolland seemed to give alternate penalties, interspersed with the front rows not always being able to keep their feet on a poor surface.
    Hard to say who will win the 6 nations.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which makes it even more galling [or should that be Gaul-ling] that they did >:(

Yep, it should really have been England and Ireland going for the Grand Slam tomorrow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Interesting new concept from the Video Referee - a rollerball try. Good luck to him in explaining how on earth Warburton was awarded that try :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an odd match. France just didn't turn up and had no plan of what to do and made a huge number of errors. Wales were efficient in first half and turned points to pressure with a lucky try and a then a dodgy try in the second half (you can roll the ball forward to score??).
    Scrums were dire, Rolland seemed to give alternate penalties, interspersed with the front rows not always being able to keep their feet on a poor surface.
    Hard to say who will win the 6 nations.

I thought Warburton was about an inch short and then he rolled the ball to the line - thus a double movement because he had already placed the ball once in the original attempt to score. Still, as Brian Moore says all too often, the referee gave it so we all [try to] move on :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    France are so infuriating to watch because they always have a talented backline, but then almost with the same regularity fail to turn up for away matches :confused:
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Welsh front 5 were excellent, I do agree that Warburton's try should have been disallowed though, not that it would have made any difference to the outcome.

France were absolutely horrific.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    France were absolutely horrific.
    Yet could still win the 6 nations :eek:
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I wouldn't want to return to a game dominated by fly halves kicking on muddy pitches, for a while now, I sit watching top rugby union and wonder what the powers that be have done to it.

It's as if the game has been turned into a version of Rugby League but not as good.

Gone are the days of a ball going along the line for a possible try by the winger or outside centre.

Now, it's a procession of phases, with the big guys bull-dozering through a few yards at a time with endless rucks.

At these, when the ball comes out, the scrum half often waits, killing any momentum.

Why on earth is he allowed 5 seconds to play it?

The referees call out to the players telling them to 'play it'. What's all that about?

How would it be in football if the referee called out to a winger to get his cross in, or an Umpire in cricket called out to a batsmen not to leave a delivery?

Surely, the referee is there to penalise breaches of the laws, not to coach the players through the game while it is happening?

And this style of refereeing is inconsistent. Do Referees tell players to roll away in rucks?

Then we get the scrums. Where do we start with these?

By the 2nd half, I was turning over whenever a scrum was called.

They are a complete farce.

While at the start of these internationals we get US style pyrotechnics lead razzamatazz heralding the greatest event since the 2nd coming, within minutes, we are witnessing the dance of obsessive referees and conniving players wasting endless minutes.

The crowd sits quietly and any momentum in the game is lost.

Maybe when a scrum is called, they should re-light the fireworks?

Then we get just about every try referred to the TV official, delaying things even more.

It saddens me as I have watched the 5/6 nations all my life and have watched and enjoyed live Rugby Union at top clubs below the Premiership level.

The whole thing flatters to deceive for me now.

My enthusiasm could easily be rekindled in part, if they made play instant at rucks once the ball is available and if they sorted the scrums out.

Perhaps the IRB should be sat down and shown re-runs of Gareth Edwards' try against the Barbarians in 1973 and asked the question as to how they could change the game to recreate that?
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had a little nibble on an England Ireland draw today.

Other one is hard to call too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair play, I'll admit when I'm wrong. Rhys Webb had a bloody good game today.

He's not the second coming of Gareth Edwards but he reminded me a bit of when Dwayne Peel was thrown in instead of Rob Howley way back in the day. On paper a terrible decision but it all worked out well on the pitch.

I was slightly worried myself that my overwhelming disdain for Phillips was making me build Webb up to better than he actually is, but I'm glad he's shown he's more than capable and worthy of being picked on his own merit rather than just as an emergency call-up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tennis man - the 5 second rule was introduced to stop the scrum half just leaving the ball in the ruck and wasting time by running down the clock. The ref can now say the ball is available and must be passed or run with. Failure to do this results in a scrum to the other side. We saw that happen when France had the ball in their 22 and did nothing.
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To get all Irish rugby fans blood flowing before today's match - RTÉ's Ireland v England 2014 Promo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA1FdnOftgc

Can't fooking wait and may the best team win!
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    A Scot opens the scoring in Rome for Italy