Options

overated characters

grazemytvaddictgrazemytvaddict Posts: 4,954
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What characters could be villians as well are overated.

I think the silence are overated and I don't enjoy their stories.

River Song was overated and I think her only good episode was her first one.

Comments

• Options
    barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I would also say River Song.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jack - his flirting and showing off ruined every episode he appeared in IMO.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    Martha- her plot was terrible and the acting was one of the worst I've seen on Who
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,489
    Forum Member
    The Tenth Doctor. He's my least favourite of the three Doctor's and I think he's incredibly dull, and later just hammy.

I would also say Canton Delware. A fantastic actor who did a great job, but the character was never really fleshed out at all and his involvement in the plot seemed totally beyond credibility once the series arc was resolved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JackMShep wrote: »
    Martha- her plot was terrible and the acting was one of the worst I've seen on Who

I don't think Martha was ever liked that much but I completely agree with you and she would not stop flirting with the doctor and it took away from the story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like Matt Smith that much found him very irritating at times.
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like Matt Smith that much found him very irritating at times.

Have you liked anyone? :D

I think Winston Churchill was overrated. Good maybe the first time then became wearisome.
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rose
    Sil
    The Rani
    Jo Grant
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So this thread is actually 'which characters don't you like?'

For me I never understood the fuss about Sarah-Jane Smith. I put her popularity down mostly to fortuitous timing and longevity.
  • Options
    Simon_FostonSimon_Foston Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Ace. I saw the writing on the wall there when I found out a 'time storm' or something had zapped her across space after she blew up her bedroom with a chemistry experiment. Like that kind of thing happens every day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    Have you liked anyone? :D

I think Winston Churchill was overrated. Good maybe the first time then became wearisome.

I don't like most of the characters series five onwards apart from Clara.
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    So this thread is actually 'which characters don't you like?'

For me I never understood the fuss about Sarah-Jane Smith. I put her popularity down mostly to fortuitous timing and longevity.

I love the way you rebel against majority opinions! :D

I think her character was a lot to do with it. She was warm hearted and friendly. She also had a great sense of humour. At the same time though, she wasn't just a screamer and stood up for herself when it was called for. Maybe that's where the appeal lies.

As for my own opinion, can't think of too many characters that are overrated but River Song I would agree with because her storyline is a mess and her constant reappearances are bordering on being tedious.

:)
  • Options
    alienghostalienghost Posts: 1,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack - his flirting and showing off ruined every episode he appeared in IMO.

Yeah, Captain Jack is a character I never got all the fuss over. He was annoying. John Barrowman's acting was very hammy and OTT, but I think that was a general problem with the RTD era to be honest.

But my top choice would be The Master. You know what, maybe I was unfair to Barrowman, John Simm as the Master really was hammy and OTT. I also never liked how we seemed to be expected to feel sorry for him no matter how much bad stuff he did.I've never seen The Master in the classic series, but I didn't like the Eric Roberts version either.

The Cybermen. They're rubbish most of the time.
  • Options
    GiarcYekrubGiarcYekrub Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rose - Not sure why, guess it was probably because she was grumpy and moody most of the time
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Sarah Jane - way overated as a character and as an actress. Don't get me wrong, Liz was apparantly a very nice person, but I just found SJS so annoying. At times she spoke like William Shatner, all strange, pauses, between, words.
  • Options
    wowboywowboy Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rose

I'm assuming as she is many peoples first companion it's why she is heavily regarded but she wasn't as great as people make her out to be.
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I love the way you rebel against majority opinions! :D)

To be fair, it's the point of the thread. If the majority didn't like them then they wouldn't qualify as overrated!

I'm not sure I can think of anything that is considered well-liked in Doctor Who that I didn't also like. I'm generally pretty easily pleased at the end of the day :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    To be fair, it's the point of the thread. If the majority didn't like them then they wouldn't qualify as overrated!

I'm not sure I can think of anything that is considered well-liked in Doctor Who that I didn't also like. I'm generally pretty easily pleased at the end of the day :)

I know and I wouldn't have it any other way!

I often find myself in a minority opinion as well sometimes, it's a great place to be in. It means you have your own mind and are not swayed by popular opinion.

• Options
    Forum Member
    I often find myself in a minority opinion as well sometimes, it's a great place to be in. It means you have your own mind and are not swayed by popular opinion.

Very true. I tend to find myself in the minority for liking things rather than disliking things, though :D

Of course that just means I get more pleasure from more things so, all in all, I'd rather be in that minority than the other :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    Very true. I tend to find myself in the minority for liking things rather than disliking things, though :D

Of course that just means I get more pleasure from more things so, all in all, I'd rather be in that minority than the other :cool:

Well all stories and characters have fans. I'm sure even Adric and Mel have their own fan club somewhere, albeit a very small one......;-):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well all stories and characters have fans. I'm sure even Adric and Mel have their own fan club somewhere, albeit a very small one......;-):D

I've grown to like Mel more on audio, actually, there's been some good Big Finish stuff for her :)

Not sure, even I could grow to like Adric, though :D
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Over-rated...hmmm...
    Only two in my opinion. One was Ace. Don't get me wrong - Sophie Aldred is a lovely girl -but the character of Ace was a bit crap! I hated her to be honest! :(
    And the other - River Song! AAAAGH!!! She was brilliant in that first story in the Library.
    She was ok in the second revelation....but it got sooooooo tedious after that! WHY keep bringing her back again and again?? It was almost as boring as seeing Rory die every other episode! (This is when I stopped watching DW by the way!).
    I'll look forward to the next series anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Over-rated...hmmm...
    Only two in my opinion. One was Ace. Don't get me wrong - Sophie Aldred is a lovely girl -but the character of Ace was a bit crap! I hated her to be honest! :(
    And the other - River Song! AAAAGH!!! She was brilliant in that first story in the Library.
    She was ok in the second revelation....but it got sooooooo tedious after that! WHY keep bringing her back again and again?? It was almost as boring as seeing Rory die every other episode! (This is when I stopped watching DW by the way!).
    I'll look forward to the next series anyway.

Because it was part of the premise from the start. After establishing, the first time we saw her, that she'd seen the Doctor so many times she needed a diary to keep up and after deciding that Matt's Doctor was destined to die and River knew it, all of those multiple meetings had to have occurrred before Time of the Doctor.

While some of them were cheated as having occurred off screen, the audience would have felt cheated if the whole relationship had occurred off screen. We needed to have the evidence of all these multiple meetings and of the relationship that developed sufficiently for the Doctor to have confided his closest guarded secret to her.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tennant!

I just don't see the what all the fuss is about.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Captain Jack. Hammy and OTT.
    Rose. Her and Tennant were smug.
    John Simm's Master. OTT
    Amy Pond.