Options

Top Gear

Comments

• Options
    chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    toastie wrote: »
    Star in a reasonably priced car has become 'go and make a cup of tea' time for me. I've only known one guest on this series (James Blunt) and all the others have been dull, dull, dull.
    Why was the guy there last night if he couldn't drive?

Other than that I didn't mind last night's program, but the pizza bit was pointless as was the motorbike/car thing.

Hopefully next week will be better.

Because he has a show at the O2 to sell out even though he couldn't remember the date. Luckily, Jeremy was able to remind him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jack Whitehall? WHY????

I said pretty much the same thing....
    davie1924 wrote: »
    Agreed, what a snob.

I presume the 'S' is silent?

Right... who do have I to sign my soul over to get a Disco Volante? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know Jeremy really liked the Alpha, but I thought it was a pig-ugly, car.

Its an ALFA not an ALPHA
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    It was quite odd.
    "Yeah lets go back to coach building" What, massively expensive odd looking cars?

that car was gorgeous.. if you want odd google the original Disco Volante ;-)
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think the BBC buy every car on the show?

No, of course not. What I meant was that the show lacked all the 'adventures' that require outlay on second-hand vehicles, elaborate 'DIY', and all the other things that put a strain on the Top Gear budget. This episode seemed to be an extended advert for a lot of new cars, each ad probably funded generously by the manufacturer concerned. They didn't have a starry guest who might have cost a bit in appearance money or at least lush hospitality. I imagine Jack Whitehall must have paid to get on?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to admit, I'm not enjoying the news section this series, and neither have I taken to any of the guests they've had so far - I have a really irrational dislike of Jack Whitehall, I'm embarrassed to say.
    But I thought the rest of the episode was great - it was worth watching for the section on the 6x6 alone, imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yvie123 wrote: »
    I have to admit, I'm not enjoying the news section this series, and neither have I taken to any of the guests they've had so far - I have a really irrational dislike of Jack Whitehall, I'm embarrassed to say.
    But I thought the rest of the episode was great - it was worth watching for the section on the 6x6 alone, imo.

Its not irrational.... he's a "lady garden" ;-)
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,653
    Forum Member
    Anyone else notice that they did not have any stunners at the front of the audience this week but several pleasant lady next door types?
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Not a bad episode not great either, surprised JC fell for that motorbike stunt, which was proved to be false on Mythbusters a few series ago.
  • Options
    chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't watch it for the audience
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Justabloke wrote: »
    Its not irrational.... he's a "lady garden" ;-)

:D:blush:
    I was surprised to hear him say he was performing at the O2 arena - If he's filling that, I thought it must be just me who didn't like him!
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Jackapple wrote: »
    Us critics of the show know perfectly well its not a serious car show, what we are complaining about is some of the material is frankly dumb

for example this week we had JC needlessly mentioning himself going into madame tussauds, then we had the pizza blowtorch piece and then the pointless motorbike/car dining cloth dash...(I wont mention the 'star in a car' feature as everyone already knows its shit.)

Everything else was fine.

the ridiculous 'challenges' they set themselves, like ferrari vs train are also completely yawnsome,
    the only stuff I tune in for are the pieces on the actual cars like the new Maclaren, the £800,000 Dutch car that went on fire and the alpha etc, the blokey banter is fine, its just a shame we have to wade through all the other crap to get to the serious stuff.

BIB. funnily, that's just the sort of material that bores me rigid.:(
  • Options
    markmagmarkmag Posts: 3,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't speak for other threads about popular TV programmes, but this one seems to be over populated by the "I Hate This Show, But I'll Tune In Every Week & Watch Nonetheless" Brigade!:confused:

What is the point?

Welcome to the DS forums! :D
  • Options
    snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a poor show this week, nothing much worked for me. The Alfa didn't inspire me, the pizza bit was rubbish, the SIARPC is always dreary, and whilst I'd agree with May about the Caterham I wouldn't want a motorcyle type engine in my fun car.

PS Jack Whiteall is splendid in Fresh Meat my favourite comedy drama.
  • Options
    Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    that car was gorgeous.. if you want odd google the original Disco Volante ;-)

Course the big flaw with the Disco Volante is that first you have to get hold of a hideously rare 8C to begin with!

And then destroy it. :cry:

They only made 500 each of the hard and soft top versions.

It's right up there with Dodo pate when it comes to good ideas that are also really bad ideas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Course the big flaw with the Disco Volante is that first you have to get hold of a hideously rare 8C to begin with!

It's right up there with Dodo pate when it comes to good ideas that are also really bad ideas.

I doubt any of the current owners would have donated their 8c's.

It is far more likely that Alfa built a number of chassis for them to convert given that they had the tooling in place... something that Alfa always used to do.
    My spider is an Alfa 105 (well 115 if you're a purist) chassis with bodywork by Pininfarina who are a coach builder rather than just a design house.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Spot on.

It seems laughable to 'mutilate' one of the rariest & prettiest cars ever made to create the Disco Volante.
  • Options
    Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    I doubt any of the current owners would have donated their 8c's.

It is far more likely that Alfa built a number of chassis for them to convert given that they had the tooling in place... something that Alfa always used to do.
    My spider is an Alfa 105 (well 115 if you're a purist) chassis with bodywork by Pininfarina who are a coach builder rather than just a design house.

Not according to an article in Top Gear magazine a few months back - they said you have to give Touring your 8C to be converted into the DV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not according to an article in Top Gear magazine a few months back - they said you have to give Touring your 8C to be converted into the DV.

That's interesting.. I'm surprised anyone would do that because as I say in previous years they've supplied chassis for conversion... shame.
    mind you, I'd be happy with either car.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that the police cars in Dubai was a joke but they really exist :o
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    ^^Think about it, if the majority of people are driving "hi performance cars" then your going to need a "high performance car" to chase them.
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yvie123 wrote: »
    :D:blush:
    I was surprised to hear him say he was performing at the O2 arena - If he's filling that, I thought it must be just me who didn't like him!

Well, he hasn't filled it. In fact, there seem to be seats available for almost all of his tour dates.

I think the 'Stig is a bad instructor' thing was supposed to be a joke, but I bet lots of watchers thought "I'd ignore the little t**d too if I had to sit in a car with him".
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Anyone else notice that they did not have any stunners at the front of the audience this week but several pleasant lady next door types?
    No stunners?!!! :eek:
    The girl behind Clarkon is in the stunner category for me
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/44bQ5aj-i79DXIHyHLw2ctMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
  • Options
    pianofortepianoforte Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    decidedly average based on that photo
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    pianoforte wrote: »
    decidedly average based on that photo
    the one centre photo is the presenter Jeremy Clarkson incase you were confused.
This discussion has been closed.