Options

compulsory dog muzzling

Nat28Nat28 Posts: 2,949
Forum Member
✭✭✭
New act being put forward in scottish parliament for compulsory muzzling , micro chipping and licensing of all dogs.

I agree with the micro chipping ( though a big problem is owners not updating details )
Licensing may also be a good thing
but I dont agree with compulsory muzzling. Dont tar every dog with the same brush.

What does everyone else think

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also think more needs to be done to stop puppy mills where a dog is bred over and overwithout thought to the dogs eelfare or the puppies welfare
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nat28 wrote: »
    I also think more needs to be done to stop puppy mills where a dog is bred over and overwithout thought to the dogs eelfare or the puppies welfare

yeah, I agree the breeders need to be accountable
  • Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member

I think, hang on to your coat-tails in this thread and enjoy the ride OP, It's gonna get bumpy.
  • Options
    flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »

Trouble is dogs breed the same as some teenagers, without any thought.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah a lot of rescues break their heart every day as they cant save dogs on death row yet these breeders keep breeding more pups to die. There are cross breeds in shelters but there also many pedigree and designer dogs. So sad.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New act being put forward in scottish parliament for compulsory muzzling , micro chipping and licensing of all dogs.

I agree with the micro chipping ( though a big problem is owners not updating details )
    but I dont agree with compulsory muzzling. Dont tar every dog with the same brush.

Yep, that's pretty much my opinion too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AOTB wrote: »
    I think, hang on to your coat-tails in this thread and enjoy the ride OP, It's gonna get bumpy.

Aww god. I was warned about the same thing when I put up a thread about vegetarism and that came true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aww god. I was warned about the same thing when I put up a thread about vegetarism and that came true.

Ha ha, doggie DS threads tend to get a little 'ruff' at times. Let's just put it that way. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Dogs can be neutered unfortunately teenagers cant :D
    edit .... I quoted the wrong person sorry
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this the same Scottish Parliment that that outlawed tail docking and now Scottish working dogs suffer constant injuries as a result, the number of injured dogs is so high a repeal of the law for working dogs is being lobbied by breeders. By all means muzzle certain breeds but a pug or chihuahua? would guide dogs and sniffer dogs be exempt, sheep dogs, what about pet therapy dogs that visit children in hospitals and hospices?
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah a lot of rescues break their heart every day as they cant save dogs on death row yet these breeders keep breeding more pups to die. There are cross breeds in shelters but there also many pedigree and designer dogs. So sad.

I am sick and tired of breeders churning out dogs, no checks , no records, etc. easy money. breeders need to be accountable for every one of their puppies. They charge the earth for them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dogs can be neutered unfortunately teenagers cant :D
    edit .... I quoted the wrong person sorry

I suspected as much! Still I think the subject of human teenage neutering (only in certain cases of course) is one that DS should certainly explore at some stage. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sick and tired of breeders churning out dogs, no checks , no records, etc. easy money. breeders need to be accountable for every one of their puppies. They charge the earth for them.

Agree. If a person cant keep the animal the breeder should take it back. Cant see many of them doing that. And if they had to I could see breeders thinking its not such a good idea afterall
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Licensing may also be a good thing but I dont agree with compulsory muzzling. Dont tar every dog with the same brush.

I do agree with compulsory muzzling when the dog is out. It protects everybody, including the dog.

Dogs, in my experience, can be highly unpredictable, and often harass passers by when off the lead. They need to be kept under control.

If they're muzzled when out, then they can't hurt anybody, including cats chased by them.
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    I was going to have a good old rant about salmond but I thought I better check 1st.

http://m.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/snp-launches-dangerous-dogs-consultation-1-3248332

Doesn't look like they are thinking of compulsory muzzling at all, and are even being quite reasonable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CSJB wrote: »
    I was going to have a good old rant about salmond but I thought I better check 1st.

http://m.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/snp-launches-dangerous-dogs-consultation-1-3248332

Doesn't look like they are thinking of compulsory muzzling at all, and are even being quite reasonable.

A general muzzling of all dogs it says?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    I do agree with compulsory muzzling when the dog is out. It protects everybody, including the dog.

Dogs, in my experience, can be highly unpredictable, and often harass passers by when off the lead. They need to be kept under control.

If they're muzzled when out, then they can't hurt anybody, including cats chased by them.

While some dogs do chase cats I have never owned one that does.
    I have had two dogs attacked by over territorial Tom cats though.

Would you be in favour of cats wearing muzzles too ?
    just think of all the small animals that would be saved as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A general muzzling of all dogs it says?

"but the Government says it is not in favour of enforcing muzzles to be worn"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats a condradiction
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was going to have a good old rant about salmond .

We should probably deal with the dog debate first before moving on to muzzling fish no? ;-)
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,340
    Forum Member

Agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A study showed if you keep your cat in at night it will cut down on the native wildlife getting killed. Some cat owners dont seem to want to do this though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We should probably deal with the dog debate first before moving on to muzzling fish no? ;-)

Pahahahaha
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,909
    Forum Member
    Why are they talking about muzzling dogs when they're outside when the recent dog attacks on children happened in the home? :confused:
  • Options
    flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We are talking about 'Pets' owned by humans here, if left to 'nature' it would be the survival of the fittest and maybe there would be less cats around to kill the less fit if all the dogs chased them and caught a few.