Options

A way to beat the weeping angels?

EE Fan 1990EE Fan 1990 Posts: 552
Forum Member
✭✭
Could u not just put a mirror in front of them? In blink they were 'beaten' by having them in a square looking at each other proving they have some sort if optical ability? Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Could u not just put a mirror in front of them? In blink they were 'beaten' by having them in a square looking at each other proving they have some sort if optical ability? Thoughts?

Apparently yes. It was done. In the Christmas special just gone. Time of the Doctor...
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    How about smashing them to pieces with a sledge hammer while they're frozen?

Or machine guns, rocket launchers, tanks, that sort of thing :D
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,353
    Forum Member
    Thrombin wrote: »

I've wondered why no-one in the show thinks of this since about half way through the first showing of blink. Might be handy if they throw in a one line explanation about why this isn't possible in any future story. Maybe they could say they look like stone but in fact are not and are unbreakable or something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've wondered why no-one in the show thinks of this since about half way through the first showing of blink. Might be handy if they throw in a one line explanation about why this isn't possible in any future story. Maybe they could say they look like stone but in fact are not and are unbreakable or something.

I suppose being "Quantum Locked" might suggest that they are fixed at the atomic level so that nothing can displace or effect their structure at all while in that state.

Still, assuming that computer controlled sensors don't count as observing them, an automated sentry turret ought to do the trick!

Failing that you could always bury them under tons of rock or something!
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    The thing is, who happens to have a sledge hammer on them when they're confronted by a Weeping Angel. Who has a tonne of rocks they could bury them under at their disposal?

I think they're a great idea, but victims are often already being ambushed by the angels before they could piece together such a gung-ho solution. :D
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The clerics in "Flesh and Stone," fired machine guns at the Angels and it did nothing. In fact, as the Angels were only visible during the muzzle flashes from the guns, it would be fair to assume they were also being hit by bullets whilst they weren't quantum-locked (unless the clerics were totally useless shots, or the Angels are actually fast enough to dodge bullets, of course.)

I think its fair to assume that the Angels are indestructible, at least in their quantum-locked state. Considering the Doctor describes it as the ultimate defence mechanism, it would be pretty useless if they were actually vulnerable whilst "locked." Becoming immobile AND susceptible to a physical attack would make them a pretty harmless adversary!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I always thought "Open fire... Then look away". ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The thing is, who happens to have a sledge hammer on them when they're confronted by a Weeping Angel. Who has a tonne of rocks they could bury them under at their disposal?

I think they're a great idea, but victims are often already being ambushed by the angels before they could piece together such a gung-ho solution. :D

True, but that goes for most things. If they catch you by surprise when you're not prepared for them then you're most likely a gonner!

However, as long as you know what they are and as long as they're immobile and you can keep enough people watching them you have plenty of time to arrange for whatever you need.

I suppose it depends if they're super-strong as well as indestructible. If not, just tie them up with chains or something then drag them to a deep dark pit and concrete them over :)
  • Options
    robdxrobdx Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    Jenkins, chap with the hands over his eyes, five rounds rapid :)
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I could be wrong but my impression was always that they look like stone, not that they actually are made of stone. But maybe that has been contradicted somewhere that I am forgetting?

Besides, good luck wielding that sledge hammer without blinking...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    I could be wrong but my impression was always that they look like stone, not that they actually are made of stone. But maybe that has been contradicted somewhere that I am forgetting?

Besides, good luck wielding that sledge hammer without blinking...

Just bring an audience. We're talking preparation here :)
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    How about gradually over-using them, making them weaker and less threatening with each appearance until they stop being scary at all?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    How about gradually over-using them, making them weaker and less threatening with each appearance until they stop being scary at all?

Worked for the Daleks :p
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol!!

To be fair, it must be hard for the writers. They must be under criticism that we see too much of the old enemies like the Daleks, cybermen, Master etc. So when they finally got a new enemy which provoked an amazing reaction (such as the angels) it must have been so tempting to re-use them and place them in the same bracket as the other popular enemies.

Didn't the Daleks get rested for several years after Troughton ??
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,684
    Forum Member
    Judging by the end of the Pond's last episode, you can cry, weep, close your eyes in despair, have a consoling hug and eventually retreat into the tardis and the angels still won't touch you so.....maybe they're not that big a threat after all....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Judge_ wrote: »

Didn't the Daleks get rested for several years after Troughton ??

For about 5 years I think, but it was only because the rights-holder, Terry Nation, was working on selling a Daleks show in the American market, rather than being a bold creative decision. 'Evil of the Daleks' was actually intended to be their 'final end'.

Phillip Hinchcliffe did make a specific decision not to re-use classic enemies in his time though (after his first season, which featured stories already commissioned by the outgoing team), and so after Genesis of the Daleks they vanished for about another 5 years before returning in Destiny of the Daleks.

Judging by the end of the Pond's last episode, you can cry, weep, close your eyes in despair, have a consoling hug and eventually retreat into the tardis and the angels still won't touch you so.....maybe they're not that big a threat after all....

:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I kinda agree that the 'lock' means they are invulnerable if frozen, yet too quick to kill when they move.

Both times they have been defeated, the Dr has tricked them into looking at each other, or in the mirror.
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sonic Mirror
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Until Rory actually got sent back in time by the angle, it must have just been on its way over unnoticed.
    After that I think it was watched by Amy, River and the Doctor (River and the Doctor being a little way away but could still see Amy and the angel well enough).
    Amy then later turned her back and it hid the angel from River and the Doctor momentarily while she was also zapped back in time, then River and the Doctor could see the angle and they just went into the TARDIS.
    So except for the moments when Amy and Rory were zapped back in time, the angle was watched from the point they knew about it, till River and the Doctor stepped into the TARDIS.
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Until Rory actually got sent back in time by the angle, it must have just been on its way over unnoticed.
    After that I think it was watched by Amy, River and the Doctor (River and the Doctor being a little way away but could still see Amy and the angel well enough).
    Amy then later turned her back and it hid the angel from River and the Doctor momentarily while she was also zapped back in time, then River and the Doctor could see the angle and they just went into the TARDIS.
    So except for the moments when Amy and Rory were zapped back in time, the angle was watched from the point they knew about it, till River and the Doctor stepped into the TARDIS.

Those darned angles... Lol!:D:D:D