Options

Who could represent the UK in Eurovision 2014?

Comments

• Options
    Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elkie Brooks would do it if asked, definitely.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elkie Brooks would do it if asked, definitely.

She's on the list! As is Marti Webb and of course Michael Crawford.
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Ball sang his 1992 entry at West End Eurovision a couple of years ago. I think after 22 years his view of ESC will have softened. Another one for the list I think!

A bit of a left field choice, but Torvill and Dean made an album once didn't they? I'm sure they have a project coming up this year that they can't talk about. 30 years since Bolero = huge votes!!

Oh, and Beyonce is conveniently touring in the UK at the moment...
  • Options
    adamski94adamski94 Posts: 3,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant believe your all wrong! EVERYONE knows the BBC only want big stars that why they choose elvis Presley and Michael jackson to do the biggest duet that not only will get europe talking but the whole galaxy :/
  • Options
    Alan_ColeAlan_Cole Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey maybe we could get Michael Jackson to represent us, now that he's dead he won't be able to say no so the BBC entertainment department could exhume his corpse and use it like a puppet.
  • Options
    MikayMikay Posts: 10,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing I've learned for sure this week is the sheer amount of popstars I haven't heard of for years who are bringing out new singles in the next 3 or 4 weeks!
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not Stacey Solomon anyway. She's denied it to tomorrow's Express.
  • Options
    Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    It's not Stacey Solomon anyway. She's denied it to tomorrow's Express.

"Never say never." Covering all bases, I see. Maybe we'll see her represent the UK when she's at least 50.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    EuanDesu wrote: »
    Her song for Making Up Your Mind wasn't all too bad. Would have done better than Javine, who would have done better in say 07.

It was dreadful! And that pink catsuit :o It was so bad I couldn't even find the performance on Youtube :blush:
  • Options
    Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was dreadful! And that pink catsuit :o It was so bad I couldn't even find the performance on Youtube :blush:

Link. I'm not sure that I didn't miss her performance when I watched the show. I remember her being a contestant but I never remembered her song.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    Don't know if it's been mentioned on here as I haven't read the whole thread. It was on twitter a while ago when pixie lotts threw her hat into the ring and said she would do it. the people behind the bbc eruovision account tweeted back to her to expect a phone call.
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Edwin Okli wrote: »
    Link. I'm not sure that I didn't miss her performance when I watched the show. I remember her being a contestant but I never remembered her song.

Wow, the singing is a lot worse than I remembered.
  • Options
    Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was on twitter a while ago when pixie lotts threw her hat into the ring and said she would do it. the people behind the bbc eruovision account tweeted back to her to expect a phone call.

But she might win. That is not what they want. Winning would cost them millions set aside for executive payoffs.

How about Darius Campbell ? (but he could win too, so they won`t).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Don't know if it's been mentioned on here as I haven't read the whole thread. It was on twitter a while ago when pixie lotts threw her hat into the ring and said she would do it. the people behind the bbc eruovision account tweeted back to her to expect a phone call.

I was actually Little Boots, not Pixie Lott, who said it just after last years contest and Graham Norton tweeted back saying she would get a call (see here). But I think in a subsequent interview she said the song would need to be right, which maybe seems like she lost the enthusiasm after she said it.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are the participants in this year's The Big Reunion doing a tour afterwards and therefore won't be available for ESC? I just had a horrible thought of 5th Story doing it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charlotte Church?!?! Is she really THAT relevant?

I recommend you listen to her track 'Glitterbombed', it's absolutely superb.
  • Options
    Steven_PSteven_P Posts: 12,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    The selection process was taken from us because we chose naff cheesey stuff which, post 2004, was dire.

The reason why naff songs were chosen by the public is because all they had to chose from were naff songs. And on the odd occasion when there was one half decent one in the mix - because everything else was cheap the public were taught to beleive that cheap is what we were suppose to send.

The reason for the public's view is because of the BBC, its unfair to then blame the public.. It's only six songs so give us six really good songs and we'll pick a really good one. It's wasn't so long before that descision was made that the public were picking the likes of "Come Back", "Love Shine A Light" and "Where are you?" - songs which stand up to this day.
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steven_P wrote: »
    The reason why naff songs were chosen by the public is because all they had to chose from were naff songs. And on the odd occasion when there was one half decent one in the mix - because everything else was cheap the public were taught to beleive that cheap is what we were suppose to send.

The reason for the public's view is because of the BBC, its unfair to then blame the public.. It's only six songs so give us six really good songs and we'll pick a really good one. It's wasn't so long before that descision was made that the public were picking the likes of "Come Back", "Love Shine A Light" and "Where are you?" - songs which stand up to this day.

I still think the main issue is the way Wogan acted in the last decade before he was removed. Recently, (to get myself in the mood for Copenhagen!) I've been rewatching some of the older contest and Wogan constantly takes the piss. He became a bitter old man. He was far more interested in insulting each of the acts (at one point he referred to the Molitva singer (Marija someone, I believe? I should remember this - my fav Eurovision song ever!) as ugly and even commented on her weight - this was AFTER it was clear she had won.

The UK came to see the contest as a joke because that is how Wogan saw it. And let's be honest, if you're watching a TV programme and the host is more interested in insulting everyone who graces the stage (well, except Ireland and the UK - he complains about neighbour voting, then isn't happy when Ireland doesn't give us 12 points!), then the average viewer is also going to think the same.

He became a sore loser, and that influenced how people saw the contest (although, as I've mentioned earlier, the British public are full of self entitlement anyway - if a persons favourite doesn't win Big Brother, or X Factor, or any other reality TV show then it's a fix. If we don't win Eurovision (despite sending crappy acts who can't sing) then it's because all the Eastern European countries vote for each other. And then when Eastern Europe doesn't win, it's because of neighbour voting, or it's all politics, or that everyone hates the UK. . If England loses at a sporting event, it's the referee. The British public can never just accept defeat and move on with it. We must always cause an issue... so that mentality doesn't help our view of the contest either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »
    I still think the main issue is the way Wogan acted in the last decade before he was removed. Recently, (to get myself in the mood for Copenhagen!) I've been rewatching some of the older contest and Wogan constantly takes the piss. He became a bitter old man. He was far more interested in insulting each of the acts (at one point he referred to the Molitva singer (Marija someone, I believe? I should remember this - my fav Eurovision song ever!) as ugly and even commented on her weight - this was AFTER it was clear she had won.

The UK came to see the contest as a joke because that is how Wogan saw it. And let's be honest, if you're watching a TV programme and the host is more interested in insulting everyone who graces the stage (well, except Ireland and the UK - he complains about neighbour voting, then isn't happy when Ireland doesn't give us 12 points!), then the average viewer is also going to think the same.

He became a sore loser, and that influenced how people saw the contest (although, as I've mentioned earlier, the British public are full of self entitlement anyway - if a persons favourite doesn't win Big Brother, or X Factor, or any other reality TV show then it's a fix. If we don't win Eurovision (despite sending crappy acts who can't sing) then it's because all the Eastern European countries vote for each other. And then when Eastern Europe doesn't win, it's because of neighbour voting, or it's all politics, or that everyone hates the UK. . If England loses at a sporting event, it's the referee. The British public can never just accept defeat and move on with it. We must always cause an issue... so that mentality doesn't help our view of the contest either.

Couldn't have put it better myself. :D No one seems to moan when Ireland gives us points do they? And most of the time, the best song (even if you may not like it personally) always tends to win. All these 'Eastern' countries who enter, e.g. Azerbaijan always put the effort in to send something decent. Its not there fault if they do well when thats what they intended to do in the first place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still think the main issue is the way Wogan acted in the last decade before he was removed.

I agree with this as well. I remember in 2006 he talked over the songs, making snide comments, even my friends were shouting at the TV telling him to shut up as they wanted to listen to the song and not him. It's like he seemed to think the only reason why the public watched was because of him.

The said thing is he wasn't removed he went of his own accord, about 9 years too late. But once again the BBC allowed him to do this to the contest, making a fuss of him as the Eurovision King in 2009 despite the fact that he obsviously was so bitter towards it at this point.

The really good thing about Ana Matroic's commentary was she had respect for the artists and the event more so than anyone else who commentated, it was so refreshing. (and I'm saying that above my beloved Sara Cox)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Crumbs, and you think Wogan was bitter. I disagree about British self entitlement. You make Brits out to be far worse than they are. We are certainly not sore losers at Sport. We most definitely are not sore losers in Eurovision. There are elements of political voting in the ESC but most intelligent people know that this is unlikely to swing a result in a country's favour, and even the ESC have changed the rules because they were concerned about political voting too. And just so you know, they talk about and blame political voting in virtually every country where ESC has an entry. That's why the rules were changed. If it was just the UK ''moaning'' do you think the would have bothered?

Unless a country is the one getting the points, every one considers it to be political because everyone else thinks they're the ones with he best song.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless a country is the one getting the points, every one considers it to be political because everyone else thinks they're the ones with he best song.

There are some confused people in th uk but i don't know if anyone is that delusional.
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crumbs, and you think Wogan was bitter. I disagree about British self entitlement. You make Brits out to be far worse than they are. We are certainly not sore losers at Sport. We most definitely are not sore losers in Eurovision. There are elements of political voting in the ESC but most intelligent people know that this is unlikely to swing a result in a country's favour, and even the ESC have changed the rules because they were concerned about political voting too. And just so you know, they talk about and blame political voting in virtually every country where ESC has an entry. That's why the rules were changed. If it was just the UK ''moaning'' do you think the would have bothered?

Sorry, you don't think Brits are full of self entitlement? You've obviously never picked up a paper the morning after someone is kicked out from X Factor, or the morning after a Big Brother eviction. Or looked on Facebook, or Twitter, or the papers or any other form of media the week following a loss at Eurovision. A more recent example - the opening ceremony at Sochi. Facebook, Twitter, hell, even here was alight with "omg, this is just ripping off from London 2012 xoxo"... you know... despite the fact the opening ceremony for pretty much every olympics follows the exact same process.

No one is denying that there is some political voting. My point was that the general consensus in the UK is that if we don't win it's because of Eastern Europe all voting for each other - this was the most popular opinion, especially during the mid 00s. Then, once the West began to win some contests from 2010, it's because of neighbours voting for each other, or because it's all politics, or because "everyone hates the UK waaa, waaa" rubbish (despite Germany winning in 2010! I thought everyone hated them? :D:D). The UK are very, very sore losers. Or maybe it's just because we think we're superior to everyone else - a big stereotype for the British is that we're all arrogant. It's hard to argue against it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, you don't think Brits are full of self entitlement? You've obviously never picked up a paper the morning after someone is kicked out from X Factor, or the morning after a Big Brother eviction. Or looked on Facebook, or Twitter, or the papers or any other form of media the week following a loss at Eurovision.

No one is denying that there is some political voting. My point was that the general consensus in the UK is that if we don't win it's because of Eastern Europe all voting for each other - this was the most popular opinion, especially during the mid 00s. Then, once the West began to win some contests from 2010, it's because of neighbours voting for each other, or because it's all politics, or because "everyone hates the UK waaa, waaa" rubbish (despite Germany winning in 2010! I thought everyone hated them? :D:D). The UK are very, very sore losers.

People on social media are sore losers perhaps but the general public as a whole probably couldn't care less. The people who get upset by X-Factor results are not in the majority, you do realise that don't you? It's unfair to label every Brit as a sore loser just because some are, and the UK weren't the ones threatening to leave the contest when we didn't win, unlike some countries. There are proportions of sore losers in every country and not just the UK. I have no sense of self entitlement because I don't regard the ESC as that important. It is just a singing competition.