Options

What do you think caused the Big Bang?

Comments

• Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Ænima wrote: »
    Not really. We can date the big bang to 13.7 billion years ago, but frankly we'd have no way of knowing what existed before it. We have enough trouble looking at current events in the universe, let alone what was going on billions of years ago.

Matter as we currently understand it, may have started with the big bang, but look at all the things we are discovering now, things that seemed impossible in the past, like dark matter, that we can now observe.

I think it's plausible that there was matter before the big bang, maybe existing in a different state and that a big bang is perhaps just a cyclic event.

The idea that matter always existed is more plausible to me than the idea that everything came out of nothing.

How do scientists know that the Universe originated with 'nothing' anyway?
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Doctor
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    The idea that matter always existed is more plausible to me than the idea that everything came out of nothing.

It's a difficult one for some people to get their head around, the idea of infinity, but it's something I've always believed. I see the big bang as a measurable event in the infinite timeline of the universe, rather than as the start of everything.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    The Universe can be dated though, to around 13.7 billion years. So I guess it must've had a birth, a start point.

What was before it is the more mind-boggling question. Nothing?
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few guys in the universe next door were playing with a very large hadron collider
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's not what the Big Bang theory says. The Universe we perceive comes from the sudden expansion of a singularity, but it doesn't say that it came from nothing. What came "before" (time as we know it didn't exist before the Big Bang) is outside the scope of the theory.
  • Options
    mungobrushmungobrush Posts: 9,332
    Forum Member
    Why do you think it is impossible for it to have always been here?

To me, it is impossible that we had nothing, then suddenly got the whole universe.

I think the very fact we have matter, means we must have always had matter. It's the only logical explanation in my opinion.

Before the big bang there was nothing.
    No time
    No matter
    No energy
    Specifically, there actually was no "before the big bang"
    Because time started with the big bang. Just like matter and energy

There was no cause. It just happened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mungobrush wrote: »
    Before the big bang there was nothing.
    No time
    No matter
    No energy
    Specifically, there actually was no "before the big bang"
    Because time started with the big bang. Just like matter and energy

There was no cause. It just happened.

That might be what you believe, it isn't what I believe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    platelet wrote: »
    A few guys in the universe next door were playing with a very large hadron collider

That's a nice idea :D
  • Options
    archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gravity always wins. At some stage of unimaginable density at the centre of the blackest black hole - the very bonds which hold reality together must instantly break out to the limits of the vastness the new universe is to occupy. The bonds then expand the rest of existence into being. Loudly at first. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    archiver wrote: »
    Gravity always wins. At some stage of unimaginable density at the centre of the blackest black hole - the very bonds which hold reality together must instantly break out to the limits of the vastness the new universe is to occupy. The bonds then expand the rest of existence into being. Loudly at first. :)

Maybe inside a supermassive black hole the singularity gets so dense that the bottom falls out of it and it sort of inverts or ruptures and breaks through into or creates another dimension. All the matter contained within the singularity spews through this hole/tear and creates another Big Bang. This would explain where the matter in our Universe comes from. It's interesting that singularities are associated with both black holes and the creation of the Universe. Maybe they're directly connected.

Wormholes are supposed to connect parts of the same Universe but what if the formation of a wormhole actually created an entirely new Universe? There could be millions of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a nice idea :D
    Given that our perception of time is also completely contained within our own universe our own LHC could have made multiple universes by now, each of which lasted for billions of years according to time as it flowed within them before they were snuffed out in a nanosecond according to time in ours.

Maybe ours is entirely contained in someone else's LHC, lasting just a nanosecond by their own perception. M-Theory sort of proves that our universe could either be infinitesimally large or infinitesimally tiny. The observable properties mirror each other around the length of a string (the multidimensional vibration that particles, and thereby all matter in the universe, are made from). Everything we know could fit inside the size of a single electron.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The big taper.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    edEx wrote: »
    Given that our perception of time is also completely contained within our own universe our own LHC could have made multiple universes by now, each of which lasted for billions of years according to time as it flowed within them before they were snuffed out in a nanosecond according to time in ours.

Maybe ours is entirely contained in someone else's LHC, lasting just a nanosecond by their own perception. M-Theory sort of proves that our universe could either be infinitesimally large or infinitesimally tiny. The observable properties mirror each other around the length of a string (the multidimensional vibration that particles, and thereby all matter in the universe, are made from). Everything we know could fit inside the size of a single electron.

Maybe the universe is infinite in all directions, including size. Our universe could just be a brain cell in some supersize rodent :p Likewise, every atom in our universe could be part of some other universe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    The big taper.
    Lol. I bet the creator used an infinitely long one, just in case.

How big are electrons?
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yep, I like to think of a ouroboros, with our LHC or eventual VLHC ultimately being responsible for creating the universe where ours was in turn created.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe the universe is infinite in all directions, including size. Our universe could just be a brain cell in some supersize rodent :p Likewise, every atom in our universe could be part of some other universe.
    Ye cannae even 'have' infinity! Bidirectional infinity is right out of the question. sorry. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ye cannae even 'have' infinity! Bidirectional infinity is right out of the question. sorry. :)

Just take the smallest thing you have and half it! :D
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol. I bet the creator used an infinitely long one, just in case.

How big are electrons?

No, quite a short taper, but an infinitely long arm, and one hell of a match to light it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    According to today's Guardian:
    Each of us is made up of 7 octillion atoms (7 followed 27 zeros) that are mostly empty space. If you could squeeze all the empty space out of those atoms, you could reduce the entire human race to the size of a sugar lump.

:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    Yep, I like to think of a ouroboros, with our LHC or eventual VLHC ultimately being responsible for creating the universe where ours was in turn created.
    Ooh, a predestination paradox. Very science fiction :cool:
    Just remember that next time you put a lump of sugar in your tea. You are drinking the ENTIRE HUMAN RACE!!! :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really good sex!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    According to today's Guardian:

That object would have some outrageous gravity if it were that dense :p
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really. We can date the big bang to 13.7 billion years ago, but frankly we'd have no way of knowing what existed before it. We have enough trouble looking at current events in the universe, let alone what was going on billions of years ago.

Matter as we currently understand it, may have started with the big bang, but look at all the things we are discovering now, things that seemed impossible in the past, like dark matter, that we can now observe.

I think it's plausible that there was matter before the big bang, maybe existing in a different state and that a big bang is perhaps just a cyclic event.

There is no 'before' it's totally meaningless because time itself didn't exist before the big bang. Also the first 10 -43 seconds of the universe called the planck epoch is mostly theoretical guess work as it is believed that some of the fundamental laws of physics were different in these very first moments.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Just remember that next time you put a lump of sugar in your tea. You are drinking the ENTIRE HUMAN RACE!!! :p

Isn't it a strange idea, that the material contained in the entire human race is no bigger than a lump of sugar. I wonder how big something like a large spiral galaxy would be if you could extract all of the space within the atoms and squeeze it all together.

I wonder how big these singularities in the centres of black holes actually are. They must have 'dimensions' of some sort, surely.