Options

Sara Cox Sounds Of The 80s Radio 2 (Thread )

Comments

• Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marc Almond a guest next week.....yes!!! :)

A real 80's favourite of mine, and since for that matter.
  • Options
    mailmos98mailmos98 Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    Every week that I listen, my Spotify playlist expands!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sara Cox's show is a good listen and remember alternatives are available

Matthew Rudd's forgotten 80s on Sunday and Thursday nights on Absolute 80s and David Henderson's Electric 80s on TD1 Radio Sunday afternoons to name but two!
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Decent lineup tonight - anyone else listening?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    Decent lineup tonight - anyone else listening?

Just joined the show at Doctor Doctor. Very February 1984 memory that.

Looking forward to Marc Almond chatting in a while.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh God Sara - quick with the intrajections - you're not good at it.. and you crashed that last track..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marc Almond got abruptly cut off in his stride talking about Gene Pitney there. He seemed so eager to talk and carry on doing so, therefore why not let him do so? Hugely annoying as she rushed him into his track of the 80's instead. Can't argue with Dare as one of the best albums of the 80's, as he picked The Sound Of The Crowd from it.
  • Options
    richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,895
    Forum Member
    I love the Dare album and Sound... is one of the best on it. Enjoyed what I heard of last night's show before I nodded off, but I do wish Sara would respect the dead end of songs. I'm singing along and then in she crashes, be great if she waited 'til the end, fired up Rock It, and then back announced.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wanted more out of Marc's interview with Sara Cox last Saturday night, but just discovered and heard a nice little interview he gave to Mike Read on BBC Radio Berkshire on Monday afternoon just after 1pm, available on catch up player. He has a new EP, The Tasmanian Tiger, out this week and an album on 24th February.

As for the album Dare, from late 1981, I listened to the whole thing tonight with a decent spec headphone and it may be 30+ years ago now but this album still manages to sound as if it is from the future yet to come to me. How does it do that? It was the No3 album this very day in 1982, having slowly fallen from 3 weeks at No1 during January, and also grabbed another week at the top in late October '81 in its second week of release.

Another album that came out at exactly the same time in 1981 has just sold its 6,000,000th copy in the UK in recent days - Queen's Greatest Hits. They say 1 in 3 homes in Britain have it, and I do too, on tape bought about 4 years later in the mid 80's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HI all... hadn't slept well on Fri night - dozed this afternoon - almost missed it - the usual crowd listening?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was but didn't last long, fell asleep during the first Paul Young track :( Had a good sleep though :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else listening? Or not bothering?
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,248
    Forum Member
    alcockell wrote: »
    Anyone else listening? Or not bothering?

I've got it on - SOS Band playing now. Decent show but the iPlayer stream is randomly hurting me ears with a screech sound.

Edit: I do wish Sara would stop interrupting the guest.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    What happened to that feature early on in the show? I forgotten what's it called, but Sara interviewed Aneka on the phone etc..
  • Options
    cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Graduate - Ever Met a Day. Tune! Never heard it on the radio before. This is what 80s shows should be digging up when they say they're going to play forgotten songs. Only downside was that Sara had obviously never heard of them and showed her ignorance by getting their name wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Falling asleep during Sounds Of The 80's seems to be a factor among posters on here. I began listening to Leee John from Imagination last night and fell off halfway through, only coming around again at ten past midnight when the show had long ended! I was listening to Bob Harris for 2 songs before realising it wasn't the 80's anymore!
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oooh, not caught up with this yet. I decided not to bother listening live then falling asleep and listen at a later date. I didn't know Leee John was going to be on this week. I've been meaning to say I hope he's a future guest as he always seems to be a entertaining interviewee - and I love a bit of Imagination!
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,248
    Forum Member
    Leee was a good guest but the interview could have been about twice as long again - too much Sara talking over him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Graduate - Ever Met a Day. Tune! Never heard it on the radio before. This is what 80s shows should be digging up when they say they're going to play forgotten songs. Only downside was that Sara had obviously never heard of them and showed her ignorance by getting their name wrong.

They were TFF before TFF were TFF :D That played on our local Pirates in the 80's, great song! Was played on MAR about six months ago, but doesn't come round often :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Falling asleep during Sounds Of The 80's seems to be a factor among posters on here. I began listening to Leee John from Imagination last night and fell off halfway through, only coming around again at ten past midnight when the show had long ended! I was listening to Bob Harris for 2 songs before realising it wasn't the 80's anymore!

I'd hear it all if it was on at 8PM, Rich. Sadly my week is too busy to "listen again". So much radio, so little time :D
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sara is on Radio 2 Early Breakfast this week.
  • Options
    keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were TFF before TFF were TFF :D That played on our local Pirates in the 80's, great song! Was played on MAR about six months ago, but doesn't come round often :(

I went to the same school as Roland Orzabal and John Baker two members of the band and would play in the school hall. They were well known locally and often appeared on local TV. When the band split in 1981, Orzabal and Curt Smith became TFF and Baker joined another Bath band The Korgis (they of 'If I had You' fame)

Its worth checking out the album 'Acting My Age' which contains another single 'Elvis Should Play Ska' which was a nod to Elvis Costello's links at the time with Two Tone, it has a 'Watching The Detectives' style guitar riff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xLNpfOF5ao

Both singles were played on Radio 1 at the time.
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mega late to the Sounds Of The 80s party this week - I only got round to catching up with it last night. I'd never heard that Graduate song before and agree this is the sort of stuff they should playing on the show. I really liked it.
    Interesting that Kylie is a future guest. I don't think she's now as embarrassed about her the Neighbours/SAW period as she was at one point, but I'm surprised she's do an interview that is toally focusing on her career in the 80s. I hope Sara stuck to this and didn't let her get in too many plugs for her new single or The Voice. I remember her once saying that Sexual Healing was one her favourite songs, so i'll be interested to see if she's gone with that as her 80s song choice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 401
    Forum Member
    Hullboy wrote: »
    Sara Cox's show is a good listen and remember alternatives are available

Matthew Rudd's forgotten 80s on Sunday and Thursday nights on Absolute 80s and David Henderson's Electric 80s on TD1 Radio Sunday afternoons to name but two!

There is also the 80's Experiance with Pete Forsyth which usually aires on 96.7 Phoenix FM and also the online Wigan FM.
  • Options
    keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only downside was that Sara had obviously never heard of them and showed her ignorance by getting their name wrong.

That's because she was only 5 when the record came out, we need someone presenting the show who was actually 'there' a la Brian Matthews (SOT60's) and Johnny Walker (SOT70's).

Not some R1 reject who needed a cozy niche at Radio 2. SOTE's could be so much better with the right presenter, Cox would be better for Sound's Of The 90's.