andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
Forum Member
Would this put off females

Comments

• Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'd a middling man height, neither short nor tall. A lady would have to be very particular to turn down a man because he was 5ft 8.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    A little bit. I think the average is around 5,10 in Britain.

No, it wouldn't put off most females. One of my best mates is around that height, and he was always really good with the girls.
  • Options
    Nat28Nat28 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im 5'8 and my boyfriend is just a tiny bit shorter. Didnt put me off
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would this put off females

Probably not unless they were tall women that wore heels a lot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in love witha guy who was that height. It is my cut-off though.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being 5ft 8 and a bit myself, 5ft 8 for a bloke is a bit on thr short side for me personally.

I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem for the smaller ladies though.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 5 8 and always wear heels which means I'm usually touching 6 foot so I do like guys around 6 2 or 6 3.

Though for an average height lady of 5 4, that wouldn't be a problem
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am 5'8 and fair enough people wont look at you and say that your short, but you are short compared to most blokes, and almost any woman in heels.
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 5ft 7 and have never had any issues with my height and the opposite sex. So I'm assuming that generally speaking its not a deal breaker. *shrugs*

I'd also say that a lot of guys are roughly the same height as me too, I wouldn't say I feel short. Its not like I find myself looking up. Lol
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5'7 was about average height 100 years ago. Better nutrition has meant the average height has increased over successive generations since then and I think it's 5'9 or 5'10 for men nowadays.

Room doorways in medieval castles/homes are really low - i reckon average height in ye olde days must have been little more than 5ft.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Statistics reveal Britain's 'Mr and Mrs Average' (BBC News, 13 October 2010)
    The ONS said the average man in England was 5ft 9in (175.3cm) tall and weighed 13.16 stone (83.6kg).

The average woman in England weighed 11 stone (70.2kg) and was 5ft 3in tall (161.6cm).

But, OP, I don't believe 5' 8" is short. Shouldn't matter if it is, anyway.

Like I said before in similar threads, my cousin is 5' 9" and her boyfriend is 5' 6". People thought she was a gold digger because she's the model type while her boyfriend isn't, but she's well off and he isn't. I would date him if we were single (I'm 5' 8" or 5' 10" in low-ish heels) because he's witty, charming and utterly warm. He really does know how to make people feel good. A compliment from him can leave one feeling good all day. It helps that he's confident enough not to let people put him down. Yeah, he's a really good guy.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's my height! I think I'm too tall.

It's kinda short for a guy. However, I'm a sexist pig. I wouldn't bother with my opinion if I were you.

Be happy in your own skin, you're beautiful just the way you are, true love comes from within blah blah blah.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I am only 1.5 cm tall, and I am always been kneed in the face by sadistic bloody grasshoppers.
  • Options
    scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Being 5ft 8 and a bit myself, 5ft 8 for a bloke is a bit on thr short side for me personally.

I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem for the smaller ladies though.
    My girl is 5' (making her 15" shorter than me) and she says she wouldn't go out with someone who wasn't at least six foot tall. I do think that's a little unfair as there's nothing we can do about our height. Certainly I wouldn't bat an eyelid if a girl was anywhere from about 4'9" to 6'2".

I don't think 5'8" is short for a man; more like medium although many would probably call it short.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lady would have to be very particular to turn down a man because he was 5ft 8.

Yes.

They'll probably find other suitable reasons though...
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poll on the daily mail saying the majority of women wouldn't date a man under 6'0. 70% claim man wouldn't stand a chance under that height.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2344324/Men-dont-stand-chance-women-6ft-Bad-luck-Tom-Cruise-Daniel-Radcliffe-Jack-Black-Seth-Green.html

I'm about 5'7.5 incidently. Just a fraction shy of 5'8 (my evening height that is not my morning height when you're taller).

I've never had a gf at 27, not sure thats to do with my height though, although I'm sure it doesn't help.

I would say in this day in age as we move more and more in the 21st century 6ft will be the minimum height for most women, so I would back that dailymail poll.
  • Options
    AvidianAvidian Posts: 6,049
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,927
    Forum Member
    I'd say yes.

6' seems to be no out-of-the-ordinary thing these days.
  • Options
    Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 5'8 so it'd be on the borderline for me but it's not particularly short. Plenty guys out there who are shorter or not much bigger and plenty women out there who are shorter so it shouldn't be an issue.
  • Options
    Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definetly is compared to me (6'3) haha
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am 5' 8" so it better not be :p
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I'm about 5'4-5'5 so it's taller than me
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    I'm 5ft, never had a problem getting the ladies! :D
  • Options
    scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im 5ft 6 but add everything up Im taller.. I have longish arms so can stretch further
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5' 10" here :kitty: