Options

home bargains, pound shops......where do they get their stock.

big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,157
Forum Member
✭✭
Does anyone know why and where they get their stock?

For example in poundland you can buy 3 cans of coke for a pound yet the price in super markets etc is nearer £1 . The pound shops and home bargains must make a profit on what they buy.

Comments

• Options
    Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of the time it's from the large chains who've ordered too much stock and are happy to sell the surplus to these shops rather than waste them.

Also, many brands have come out with pack sizes especially for these shops. In Poundland, packs of Snickers et al have 3 bars, whereas the standard in the likes of Tesco is 4 bars.
  • Options
    made_in_londonmade_in_london Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Something I don't get is how long can pound shops carry on at £1?

I mean surely as the years go by the profit value must go down as things get more and more expensive to make etc?

I mean surely the profit margin even compared to 10 years ago must be less? will we still have pound shops in ten years time?

£2 Land Anyone ? :D
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    they probably buy them in 99p shops........:p
  • Options
    DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Made in China.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    As already stated - some (not all) packs may contain fewer/smaller units -
    and/or lower weights - especially food products. Other products may be of thinner or inferior matarial. Nevertheless they mostly still show good value. As for continuity of low prices in the years ahead, will this not also apply to all other retailers as prices in most instances increase worldwide.
  • Options
    made_in_londonmade_in_london Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    cessna wrote: »
    As already stated - some (not all) packs may contain fewer/smaller units -
    and/or lower weights - especially food products. Other products may be of thinner or inferior matarial. Nevertheless they mostly still show good value. As for continuity of low prices in the years ahead, will this not also apply to all other retailers as prices in most instances increase worldwide.

Yes but other retialers put prices up , Poundshops don't
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a lot of the time they also order directly from china to cut out the middle man to keep the costs down, and they order in bulk as well as they'll get further discounts on the orders
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume they buy surplus, liquidation and discontinued stock etc.

They also have bulk buying power which brings the cost of each item down.
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not too sure where they get them from but I watched an episode of Pound Shop Wars a few weeks ago and one of the pound shops had reduced their prices to 97p, the guy from Poundworld commented that he would go out of business if he took 3p off of every item.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate walking around Poundland and other such shops. I always seem to come away with loads of things I never really wanted, or in fact need.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

For example in poundland you can buy 3 cans of coke for a pound yet the price in super markets etc is nearer £1 . The pound shops and home bargains must make a profit on what they buy.

80p for a single 330ml can at the supermarkets would be ridicously expensive.

The 330ml Barrs irn bru cans in Poundland say the rrp is 49p each. But 3 for £1 you can buy them at Poundland in the indoor shopping centre and drink one at a seat close to the cafes area in view of the staff. A 330ml can of irn bru at the cafe costs £1.20.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member

Yes but other retialers put prices up , Poundshops don't[

>>>>>

Retailers put some prices down (as well as up). As and when the time comes then presumably £-shops will either discontinue any product no longer prifitable -
    or adjust the quantity/size/weight as necessary, although some of the public are becoming more aware of this practice and making their calculations and comparisons
    accordingly. In my experiences even packs with less content etc still show fair or good value.

• Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    they aim to buy in at about 33p a unit show a bbc docu on it

i would say they have a thirds model

1 product 33%
    2 shop/rates/workers 33%
    3 profit 33%
  • Options
    allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poundshops are able to sell products (for example Heinz Tomato Ketchup) at a pound because it is not on the shelf 52 weeks a year like it is at Tesco/Asda etc
  • Options
    jim4bbjim4bb Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    80p for a single 330ml can at the supermarkets would be ridicously expensive.

The 330ml Barrs irn bru cans in Poundland say the rrp is 49p each. But 3 for £1 you can buy them at Poundland in the indoor shopping centre and drink one at a seat close to the cafes area in view of the staff. A 330ml can of irn bru at the cafe costs £1.20.

You were ripped off, you can buy eight cans from Asda for £2.

I'm presently fund raising for charity and buy the chocolate bars at four for a pound. The offer moves around the various supermarkets. Colleagues at work then donate 50p each for them to charity. The are happy as the vending machine charges about 70p each for the likes of a kit kat or similar. I'm guessing our vending machine agent is not quite so happy, must be wondering why he isn't selling anything.
  • Options
    KosciuskoKosciusko Posts: 216
    Forum Member

I think supermarkets need to look at there prices, especially when something like 500ml bottle of coke is dearer than a 1 ltr bottle of coke

500 ml £1.15
    1 ltr £1.00

Place like poundland, homebargains, they have the right idea, a 500 ml bottle of coke will cost around 35p-45p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    KosciuskoKosciusko Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    jim4bb wrote: »
    You were ripped off, you can buy eight cans from Asda for £2.

I'm presently fund raising for charity and buy the chocolate bars at four for a pound. The offer moves around the various supermarkets. .

1 mars bar...56p or 3@£1
    4 packet of mars bars...£1
    7 packet of mars bars...£2.69
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    Something I don't get is how long can pound shops carry on at £1?

I mean surely as the years go by the profit value must go down as things get more and more expensive to make etc?

I mean surely the profit margin even compared to 10 years ago must be less? will we still have pound shops in ten years time?

£2 Land Anyone ? :D

no wont happen

people are price sensitive not amount sensitive

inflation is a killer but all they do is the same as everyone has

give you less

over the last few years we have had inflation of 5% but all the manufactures did was give you less

i always use the example of quality street

its gone from 1KG to 970 to 950 to 900 to 880g

people just see the tin (or plastic another cheaping up)
  • Options
    TheWireRulesTheWireRules Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have the same model as RyanAir. Minuscule profits margins per item/flight but the sheer number of tickets/items they sell means they make profit. It's all about fine margins.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    They have the same model as RyanAir. Minuscule profits margins per item/flight but the sheer number of tickets/items they sell means they make profit. It's all about fine margins.
    Minuscule may be overstating it, they "aim" for buying cost of 50p to sell at £1, then theres wages, rent etc.

The real question isnt how poundland manage to sell things so cheap, its how Tesco get away with charging so much, the answers simple, people will pay it believing they are paying more for a better product.
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Places like this, OP:

http://www.delboyswholesale.co.uk/

However, I've noticed more "Pound Stretcher" type shops popping up lately, rather than "Everything £1" so I think prices might be starting to go up.

I went in a pound shop the other day, actually, and I noticed some things were more expensive in there than in the supermarket, eg a 1kg bag of sugar for £1, with "WOW!!" stickers all around, but in Tesco and Aldi (both near me) a bag of sugar's around 85p. There were other things too, such as a set of 5 poor-quality forks or knives for £1, but the equivalent quality in Tesco was around 90p for a pack of 6 a month or two ago. So you still have to be selective in these places.
  • Options
    scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    I hate walking around Poundland and other such shops. I always seem to come away with loads of things I never really wanted, or in fact need.
    That's their strategy, you go in for a pack of £1 T-Towels and come out with another 19 quids worth of other tat.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no wont happen

people are price sensitive not amount sensitive

inflation is a killer but all they do is the same as everyone has

give you less

over the last few years we have had inflation of 5% but all the manufactures did was give you less

i always use the example of quality street

its gone from 1KG to 970 to 950 to 900 to 880g

people just see the tin (or plastic another cheaping up)

Definitely this ^

Many people haven't noticed but lots of packaging changes so that they can introduce a smaller size. When you see 'new and improved taste!' on the label, it's often just a ruse so you won't notice that it's actually smaller. I don't think it's trickery necessarily, but as you say, people tend to pay more attention to the price of the goods they buy than the size.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find that £1/99p etc etc shops are not as great as they make out. Asda and indeed other supermarkets do often have offers and deals on many items, which if compared with £1 shops do make it cheaper. Cans of coke for example are often on offer at Asda 8 or even 10 for £2, I think currently its £2 for 10 so to busy 10 from a £1 shop would cost over £3, hardly a saving.

In terms of where they get their stock I think its a combination of -

1, Supermarkets who over order, especially on fairly short shelf life items it makes sense to give them to £1 shops for a discount

2, discontinued stock/size/flavour etc. Items being phased out normally get sold cheaper so I imagine some end up in £1 shops

3, Pack sizes. This is key here and as mentioned above about cans of coke. I find that £1 often sell smaller pack sizes, brands know £1 is big business and often make specific items in a smaller qty size especially for £1 shops. Belvita biscuits for example are sold in a pack of 3 for £1, in the supermarkets you can get a pack of 6 only which is more often than not on offer for £2 so the same price as buying 2 x 3 from £1 shop

4, Bankrupt stock. If a shop orders something from a brand and they go bankrupt just before its delivered then its often sold off to £1 shops cheaply.

I like £1 shops, I do think on some of their items they are genuinely cheaper than anywhere else, its just a case of "knowing" prices and shopping around.