Options

Are you "proud" of your race or do you think yourself just "lucky"

PfrancisPfrancis Posts: 301
Forum Member
I was watching a comedy stand up by Chris Rock :o.He said something which got me thinking even though its quite obvious IMO.He was talking about immigration and how TRUE americans were the war veterans because they fought to make a difference in America and strangely enough Immigrants who sacrificed a lot to get here.he then said the rest of us are here (America)just simply because we happened to pop out of our mothers (you know what) in this particular place and thats it!
so basically are you actually PROUD to be british (even though you personally haven't actually done anything to achieve this) or like myself,do you just think of yourself as incredibly lucky (or unlucky :p) to be here?

Comments

• Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not even patriotic, let alone proud of being white.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    Within the limits of your question, I would say that where and to whom I was born is definitely a matter of luck.
    However I would also argue that this is a kind of meta-luck; luck usually means that what happened happens to people randomly. However, before I was conceived there was no "me" to speak of, so strictly speaking, *I* couldn't have been conceived anywhere else or by anyone else (unless you believe in souls and that they're sent to embryos randomly).
    Even that interpretation, of course, is no grounds for anyone to be proud of where or whom they were born to, as it's still nothing that they chose or ever had a chance to.
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pfrancis wrote: »
    I was watching a comedy stand up by Chris Rock :o.He said something which got me thinking even though its quite obvious IMO.He was talking about immigration and how TRUE americans were the war veterans because they fought to make a difference in America and strangely enough Immigrants who sacrificed a lot to get here.he then said the rest of us are here (America)just simply because we happened to pop out of our mothers (you know what) in this particular place and thats it!
    so basically are you actually PROUD to be british (even though you personally haven't actually done anything to achieve this) or like myself,do you just think of yourself as incredibly lucky (or unlucky :p) to be here?

I don't think people view being British as some kind of personal achievement to be proud of... I think, from an Irish perspective, that people are proud to be part of a country that achieved so much and for all its faults now, is still one of the most liberal, tolerant, democratic, nice places to live... they didnt personally have to achieve these things to be proud of the country that did them
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Are you "proud" of your race or do you think yourself just "lucky"

Is this just a crude attempt to try to revive interest in the dead carcass that is the BNP in the run up to May's Euro elections?
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think to be patriotic means being proud to live in a particular country, as in, that physical piece of land. It means you are part of and agree with the customs, culture and politics of that country and you are proud to be part of it.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Neither, I am proud of a variety of things I have achieved and can therefore take credit for, but I haven't achieved my race or nationality it is just something that is. I can see why someone who actually had done something to achieve their nationality might feel differently.

I quite like being british though and I suppose I feel lucky to have been born here rather than Saudi Arabia or the arse end of Africa.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Race as most people define it has little meaning for me. It's a social construct rather than a biological classification.

My race is human and clearly humans are a remarkable species...but I'm not proud (or ashamed) of being human.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Neither proud or embarrassed as it doesn't really matter either way I just happen to have been born here I just happen to have been born into my race but neither are anything to be proud or embarrassed of as neither is anything I chose to be and are just a very very small part of who I am.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Everyone's allowed to be proud except the English.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member

Bollocks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whys that?

You've plenty to be proud of.... okay, there are some other things that are probably best not mentioned... but that good outweighs the bad. The science, exploration, inventions, business, liberal political system, a trading empire across the world etc etc... Compared to Belgium... I think you guys do okay
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Not something I think about to be honest.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm only human, born to make mistaaaaaaaaakes.......................
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who is stopping you?

How do they stop you?

Why do you allow them to?
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Pfrancis wrote: »

Well, 'British' isn't a race. Ok, I've got the pedantic crap out of the way... Yes I am proud of the UK as a country, I think it's a great country, one of the most civilised places on Earth to live. I think one of the worst things about this country is the negativity.

Don't get me wrong, I like self deprecating humour, but when you slag everything off about a country, it isn't really self deprecating because you're having a go at everyone, rather than yourself. I find that sort of attitude difficult, as do I the people who seem to get offended by anything. So you're offended, big deal- get over it, there are worse things that can happen than for your precious sensibilities to be offended.

Oh, and there's no un-ironic way of slagging off people who like to moan or be negative about things, before anyone says anything :p
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I'm not proud of my race. Being born a certain colour isn't an achievement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    Who is stopping you?

How do they stop you?

Whoever this people are they must be brave.... If they went down to the Sandy
    Rows Rangers Supporters club in Belfast and told the bar occupiants that they couldn't be proud to be British..... I doubt they would make it out alive... Not a clever idea... those guys are serious about their pride in their nationality.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I do sort of see what you mean, but I view it more these days that if someone can be proud of being Welsh / Scottish or Northern Irish then I don't see why I cannot be proud to be English.

As for being proud to be white, I'm not sure being proud of any race is something people need to do but they don't need to be ashamed either.

I'm not ashamed to be white.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think they are a race, but I'm extremely proud of my nationalities.

I'm that freshie rocking a lapel pin. I wish I was kidding.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sweh wrote: »
    I don't think they are a race, but I'm extremely proud of my nationalities.

How many do you have?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many do you have?

A mate of mine has 4 - UK, Irish, USA and Swedish... very handy.

Everyone from NI can potentially have both a UK and Irish passport
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like this kind of martyrdom. English people are as 'allowed' to be proud of their diverse and beautiful country as anyone else. I was very proud of our olympic games even though, astonishingly, I was overlooked as a competitor in every single event. That was my country - indeed, my city - showing the world how these things should be done.
    Bunions wrote: »
    Who is stopping you?

How do they stop you?

Well exactly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    A mate of mine has 4 - UK, Irish, USA and Swedish... very handy.

Everyone from NI can potentially have both a UK and Irish passport

I've heard of dual nationality and thought that people were limited to only two in terms of being able to have passports.

Two I can understand. Not sure I would cope with four.
    I don't like this kind of martyrdom. English people are as 'allowed' to be proud of their diverse and beautiful country as anyone else. I was very proud of our olympic games even though, astonishingly, I was overlooked as a competitor in every single event. That was my country - indeed, my city - showing the world how these things should be done.

They are indeed, but thanks to the knuckle-draggers it can be misinterpreted.

Jeff Randall has mentioned in the past of the time when he worked at the BBC and he was told his Union Jack cufflinks were a symbol of the BNP and that he shouldn't wear them - thankfully he wore them anyway.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

thank god I'm a yorkshireman ;-)
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many do you have?
    I've heard of dual nationality and thought that people were limited to only two in terms of being able to have passports.

Two I can understand. Not sure I would cope with four.

Two, I'm one of those dual nationality people.

I feel rather inadequate now compared to someone with four. :o