TanequilTanequil Posts: 367,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't think it would ever end.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    American Hustle, Captain Phillips, Philomena, Nebraska, Wolf of Wall Street get nothing

No wonder why the Amercan Hustle crowd looked bored during those applause shots when others won.
  • Options
    Brian_BourdonBrian_Bourdon Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    That's all folks!

Been fun watching with you all.
  • Options
    DeccomajorDeccomajor Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    It's been a blast peps, enjoyed the awards and your posts, no major upsets, most my favorites won but i'm sorry Ellen your not funny or a good host, bring back Billy Crystal. Good night and see you in a years time.
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chiwetel Ejiofor :(
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    So with the last of the major guilds done with (though some minor ones still left), I think I'm going to make my oscar predictions at this point as follows:

Best Picture: 12 Years a Slave
    Best Director: Gravity (Alfonso Cuarón)
    Best Actor: Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club)
    Best Actress: Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine)
    Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club)
    Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Lupita Nyong'o (12 Years a Slave)
    Best Adapted Screenplay: 12 Years a Slave (John Ridley)
    Best Original Screenplay: Her (Spike Jonze)
    Best Animated Feature: Frozen (Chris Buck, Jennifer Lee, Peter Del Vecho)
    Best Cinematography: Gravity (Emmanuel Lubezki)

Best Costume Design: The Great Gatsby (Catherine Martin)
    Best Documentary Feature: The Act of Killing (Joshua Oppenheimer, Signe Byrge Sørensen)
    Best Documentary Short: The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life (Malcolm Clarke, Nicholas Reed)
    Best Film Editing: Gravity (Alfonso Cuarón, Mark Sanger)
    Best Foreign Language Film: The Great Beauty
    Best Makeup and Hairstyling: Dallas Buyers Club (Adruitha Lee, Robin Mathews)
    Best Original Score: Gravity (Steven Price)

Best Original Song: Ordinary Love (Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom)
    Best Production Design: The Great Gatsby (Catherine Martin, Beverley Dunn)
    Best Animated Short Film: Get a Horse! (Lauren MacMullan, Dorothy McKim)
    Best Live Action Short Film: The Voorman Problem (Mark Gill, Baldwin Li)
    Best Sound Editing: Gravity (Glenn Freemantle)
    Best Sound Mixing: Gravity (Skip Lievsay, Niv Adiri, Christopher Benstead, Chris Munro)
    Best Visual Effects: Gravity (Tim Webber, Chris Lawrence, Dave Shirk, Neil Corbould)

Interestingly, ultimately no predicted wins for American Hustle from me!

eta: really hoping I've not forgotten a category or something stupid like that….:blush:

Not too shabby if I do say so myself…;)
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,407
    Forum Member
    We shall all reassemble later for The 2014 Oscar (Pistorius Murder Trial) Thread
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [

American Hustle, Captain Phillips, Philomena, Nebraska, Wolf of Wall Street get nothing

Tough break for American Hustle really. I imagine a lot of second places there for them.

Wolf of Wall Street did well to get so many nominations, imho.
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually enjoyed the show & Ellen's hosting... Can't wait for more laughs on Jimmy Kimmel now.
  • Options
    Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    We shall all reassemble later for The 2014 Oscar (Pistorius Murder Trial) Thread

What time is the curtain up?
  • Options
    DeccomajorDeccomajor Posts: 462
    Forum Member

Nice :D
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,279
    Forum Member

Wow yeah that starts today!
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well done. :D Which one of previous award events mirrors tonight's event the most?
  • Options
    jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only got three predictions (and the obvious ones :D).

But no real shock winners. Haven't seen DBC, but word is Matt and Leto are good. Much check it out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right time for a couple of hours shut eye…night all, been interesting…:)
  • Options
    CaseyKleinCaseyKlein Posts: 3,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you going to spoil the verdict for us as well lol:p
  • Options
    loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    So now Brad & Angie have Oscars!

This isn't against you dee but this is exactly why I hate the media sometimes and I didnt want 12 years a slave to win because all people would talk about is pitt. I'm not surprised he was the first one running to the stage with a smug smile on his face. Like most of Hollywood he took this project on simply with the aim of being on the Oscar stage. I wish the focus stas on Steve mcqueen, john Ridley and the great cast.
  • Options
    chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am happy American Hustle and WOWS got nothing tonight. YES.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,283
    Forum Member
    loveloveX wrote: »
    This isn't against you dee but this is exactly why I hate the media sometimes and I didnt want 12 years a slave to win because all people would talk about is pitt. I'm not surprised he was the first one running to the stage with a smug smile on his face. Like most of Hollywood he took this project on simply with the aim of being on the Oscar stage. I wish the focus stas on Steve mcqueen, john Ridley and the great cast.

Jennifer Aniston fan, eh? ;-):D

Seriously though, without him ponying up some of his own cash chances are 12 years wouldn't of been made or more likely, would of been of a lesser quality because it didn't had the proper funds. So it doesn't really bother me if he's smug. The movie is his baby as well.
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All very predictable.
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    chrono88 wrote: »
    I am happy American Hustle and WOWS got nothing tonight. YES.
    Me too, most overrated over hyped film in a LONG time. I thought it was quite poor.
    All very predictable.

Yip, no surprises at all, and I am particularly pleased with the acting gongs, for once I felt they were all truly deserved. Still have to see Gravity, it just sounds so dull.
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still wanted Chiwetel Ejiofor to win but McConaughey was brilliant in Dallas Buyers Club. I was rather creeped out by his acceptance speech though. There's something about Texans and their obsession with God...

I wasn't too keen on Steve McQueen's over-exuberance when 12 Years A Slave won. Rather disappointing that he didn't keep his cool and British stiff upper lip :D No, I loved 12 Years A Slave and so glad that it along with Gravity swept the board.

And IMO I thought American Hustle was a good film though it was right that it walked away empty handed. The backlash was too great and had it won for any of the major categories, it would've suffered the same fact as previous Oscar winners (Crash?). It would be nice if people laid off the film, it's pretty solid from a director I don't even like :p
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't think much of American Hustle so I'm not that surprised it didn't win anything. Glad to see Dallas Buyers Club at least get acting awards if nothing else. Gravity deserved what it got, I thought 12 Years might have picked up more acting nods and it was a pity Wolf of Wall Street didn't get anything, I would have liked Leo to get some acting awards, he has really come along in the last decade. Hopefully his "break" from acting isn't too long.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also thought American Hustle was over-hyped. It's not a bad film but it really is a case of style over substance - it looks great on the screen but they forgot to put a decent story in there.
  • Options
    TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor old John Travolta. I just assumed when he said it that her name isn't pronounced as it's spelt, and that I've been saying it wrong all this time!