Options

Are you "proud" of your race or do you think yourself just "lucky"

Comments

• Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard of dual nationality and thought that people were limited to only two in terms of being able to have passports.

Two I can understand. Not sure I would cope with four.

They are indeed, but thanks to the knuckle-draggers it can be misinterpreted.

Jeff Randall has mentioned in the past of the time when he worked at the BBC and he was told his Union Jack cufflinks were a symbol of the BNP and that he shouldn't wear them - thankfully he wore them anyway.

He gets the UK and Irish one just from living here all his life and his parents were originally from here.... The US one is because his dad was in the US armed forces, so any children he has get automatic citizenship for that... and hes Swedish becuase his parents were stationed there when he was born and having been born there gets you a passport.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

Is this just a crude attempt to try to revive interest in the dead carcass that is the BNP in the run up to May's Euro elections?

Did you used to fear reds under the bed a few years ago?
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I'm proud to be an Englishman who's also proud to be British and all that Brits have achieved over the centuries which have also been of benefit to the rest of the world.

We should praise ourselves more often.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    I'm proud to be an Englishman who's also proud to be British and all that Brits have achieved over the centuries which have also been of benefit to the rest of the world.

We should praise ourselves more often.

I like, and agree with this post, but as a English woman.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    neither.
  • Options
    riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    How can I be proud of something that's an accident of birth- that's like saying "I'm proud to be born with black hair"
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am not even proud of my football team, at the moment:(
  • Options
    BirdyBeeBirdyBee Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I consider myself lucky and grateful. I find it difficult to feel proud of something I haven't personally achieved. But occasionally I can swept up in it. :)

Then again, you could ask if anyone feels guilty over the less than admirable aspects of British history.

Although that sounds a bit more depressing. :(

As you were. :blush:
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Can I get some clarification about whether we're actually discussing race or nationality here?

The thread title seems very unambiguous but then the OP talks about something completely different.

Personally, I feel lucky, rather than proud, to be born in Europe in the 20th century, rather than anywhere or any-when else.
    I can't really manage to feel "proud" of that because it's a very large and varied demographic so it's hard to find anything specific common trait to latch onto and take pride in.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Pfrancis wrote: »
    I was watching a comedy stand up by Chris Rock :o.He said something which got me thinking even though its quite obvious IMO.He was talking about immigration and how TRUE americans were the war veterans because they fought to make a difference in America and strangely enough Immigrants who sacrificed a lot to get here.he then said the rest of us are here (America)just simply because we happened to pop out of our mothers (you know what) in this particular place and thats it!
    so basically are you actually PROUD to be british (even though you personally haven't actually done anything to achieve this) or like myself,do you just think of yourself as incredibly lucky (or unlucky :p) to be here?

Lucky to be born and bred here, despite all our problems. I don't suffer grass is greener syndrome.
  • Options
    thesabbaththesabbath Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    riceuten wrote: »
    How can I be proud of something that's an accident of birth- that's like saying "I'm proud to be born with black hair"

Never understood this notion. Unless your mother was meant to have aborted you, your birth and consequently your racial make-up was not an accident. You are the product of the decisions and life choices made by your parents, who in turn follow from their respective ancestors.

If you are on the other hand wilfully denying your racial heritage because you are an international communist, then I suppose that is one of the mental hoops your sort would have to jump through.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member

>>>>>

Even if the above were desired, being under such inept Govts composed of the Lib/Lab/Con gang of incompetence these days is unlikely to assist in being proud
    to be British I would have thought .
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    A mate of mine has 4 - UK, Irish, USA and Swedish... very handy.

I have 3 as it stands, British, Irish, Canadian. If I ever emigrate elsewhere and naturalise I could get a 4th.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I'm proud of my nationalities, especially Irish.
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course.
    What's the alternative?

I presume everybody is proud of what they are, where they come from ect.
    Must be pretty damn miserable to feel ashamed of all that.
  • Options
    gocompletelynutgocompletelynut Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thesabbath wrote: »

If you are on the other hand wilfully denying your racial heritage because you are an international communist, then I suppose that is one of the mental hoops your sort would have to jump through.

With respect to Riceuten, I think you may have hit the nail on the head with regards to this poster.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Although its not fashionable to say as much - I recall years ago l when serving in the forces in the Far East feeling 'fortunate' for being born British- and white, although the British bit no longer applies these days .
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    thank god I'm a yorkshireman ;-)

Me too. Well, yorkshirewoman. Person. Thing?

I'm perfectly happy to locate all my cultural identity in my county and have no real feelings either way about being English. Or British. Although I'm often relieved when you see those charity ads for Africa or something, or you see a TV programme about death row in America and catch myself thinking it's a relief somehow to have this particular accident of birth.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arcana wrote: »
    Race as most people define it has little meaning for me. It's a social construct rather than a biological classification.

My race is human and clearly humans are a remarkable species...but I'm not proud (or ashamed) of being human.

My exact feelings on the subject. Both sentences.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    British isn't a race.
    I am not proud of my nationality (I don't see why one would be as it's not an achievement) but I am glad I was born here rather than some third world place.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Proud of being white?
    Well, its not as though it is a great personal achievement, now.
  • Options
    blue eyed guyblue eyed guy Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    I'm not even patriotic, let alone proud of being white.

You must be another self loathing Caucasian of the left then.

Never mind, you could always blacken your face up and start speaking in a Jamaican accent. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pfrancis wrote: »
    I was watching a comedy stand up by Chris Rock :o.He said something which got me thinking even though its quite obvious IMO.He was talking about immigration and how TRUE americans were the war veterans because they fought to make a difference in America and strangely enough Immigrants who sacrificed a lot to get here.he then said the rest of us are here (America)just simply because we happened to pop out of our mothers (you know what) in this particular place and thats it!
    so basically are you actually PROUD to be british (even though you personally haven't actually done anything to achieve this) or like myself,do you just think of yourself as incredibly lucky (or unlucky :p) to be here?

I'm proud the be English. After all, "To be born English is to win first prize in the lottery of life." - Cecil Rhodes :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is this just a crude attempt to try to revive interest in the dead carcass that is the BNP in the run up to May's Euro elections?

The politics forum is ----> way. :)
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why should someone be proud of something they weren't responsible for? :confused: