Options

It's official.. Daybreak Axed

Comments

• Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    `Cos they reckon that all the dads want to **** her and all the mums want to be her. The thinking goes no further than that.
    Strangely though, the ratings for BBC Breakfast remain around the same level regardless as to who is presenting, they did not peak on the days that she presented, and dive on the days that she was off. So that would indicate that she is not much of a "must see" attraction.

People seem to watch BBC Breakfast (and shows of that ilk) primarily for the content
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 40,014
    Forum Member
    They're nice 'n' cheap. Relatively.

Does their broadcast licence not say they have to provide news in that slot? I'm sure I read somewhere
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Strangely though, the ratings for BBC Breakfast remain around the same level regardless as to who is presenting, they did not peak on the days that she presented, and dive on the days that she was off. So that would indicate that she is not much of a "must see" attraction.

People seem to watch BBC Breakfast (and shows of that ilk) primarily for the content

I`m not sure ITV let facts get in the way of their instincts. Perhaps if they did they`d have a better channel than they do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new weekend show will be 8.30 - 9.25 according to the ITV website, I guess Scrambled will remain but go out before it.

I wonder if ITV will revamp the old iconic Good Morning Britain title sequence and theme tune? Would be sort of good to see a modern take on them. As for the show itself I just think ITV have lost the battle for the morning and may as well give in and show repeats, but we will see.
  • Options
    The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,757
    Forum Member
    It's not the presenters that are the problem (generally), it's the content.
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    great. does that mean lorraine will be off too?
  • Options
    AnthonyCAnthonyC Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Moth wrote: »
    It's not the presenters that are the problem (generally), it's the content.

Stupid competitions, showbiz tat, endless breaks.

The show is a dud.

It ain't gonna work.

Another set of careers messed up by ITV...

Are they stupid or what?
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hunter23 wrote: »

Sadly no, you will still see her daily on her very own show.

Wonfer if we will see a Easter relaunch or a September one.
  • Options
    Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They never learn, these greedy lightweights. Bleeds BBC, does she?
  • Options
    Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hunter23 wrote: »

No like a cockroach after a nuclear war lorraine services yet again.
  • Options
    lubaluba Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think we will be laughing, this sounds a very strong line up, 4 well known presenters

Beg to differ:
    One well known.
    One quite well known.
    Two unheard of to lots of us.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if it turns out to simply be a case of SSDD it will go the same way. ITV need to take a long hard look at what isnt working and try something that does work. First thing I'd do is drop Richard Arnold
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So is this it? Is this going to be ITV's final attempt at a breakfast show?

Or, if this flops are they going to have yet another revamp in the near future?

Eventually the penny has got to drop at ITV. They can't keep this up, going around in circles and not learning from previous experiences.

It's got to be cartoon-time if this one fails, surely?
    It is sort of amusing. ITV change the name, presenters, studio scenary but it is always essentially the same format that failed the previous times!
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    It is sort of amusing. ITV change the name, presenters, studio scenary but it is always essentially the same format that failed the previous times!

"Rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic" springs to mind.
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 15,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonfer if we will see a Easter relaunch or a September one.

Surely September. I doubt they can get everything in place for an Easter launch.
  • Options
    JoshuaRyJoshuaRy Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    AnthonyC wrote: »
    Stupid competitions, showbiz tat, endless breaks.

The show is a dud.

It ain't gonna work.

Another set of careers messed up by ITV...

Are they stupid or what?

Er, 'the show is a dud' ...it hasn't even started yet. Where's your evidence that Good Morning Britain is going to feature showbiz 'tat' and 'stupid competitions'. When Daybreak started, the competitions weren't in packages by celebrities, it was just a simple phone number which was shown on screen if you wanted to enter.

Of course there are advert breaks, but its ITV. We know this.

I'm kind of hopeful for this. Susanna has a following, but the question is whether they'll follow her to ITV. It sounds awful, but all this business in her personal life might make more people want to watch her when she moves to ITV.
    One of the big surprises for me is Charlotte Hawkins. I take it she'll be the newsreader, but its obviously been a well thought out choice. Tasmin Lucia Khan was the first Daybreak newsreader, a basic newsreader from BBC Three. With Charlotte, you've got a young journalist who has a very authoritative side. Personally for her it'll be a good move. She's popular on Sunrise but it only gets around 300-400,000 viewers, Good Morning Britain will have more than that - so shes going to get more exposure.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 40,014
    Forum Member
    If I'm honest, I'm not really bothered by the showbiz/celebrity stuff. People know what they are getting. If I want to watch news, I watch BBC Breakfast and if I don't, I watch Daybreak.

They need to get rid of the GMTV-lite look and studio. The original Daybreak studio was great IMO and the current one is horrible. Obviously we've got Ben but get rid of all the ex GMTV people. Yes the content needs changing, but why create BBC Breakfast II. 500/600k obviously don't want hard news in the morning which compared to Breakfast is small, but the people that complain that Daybreak is celebrity focused obviously aren't the target demo for the show and have BBC to turn to.

If I was scheduling it, I would split the programme into two, like they do now, but with two separate identities completely.

0600-0700: The Early Show (or similar)
    With actual news stories

0700-0830: Good Morning Britain
    Susannah & Ben
    Celebrity/Showbiz based programme with regular news bulletins

0830-0925: Lorraine (Mon-Fri)
    As is. It obviously works with the viewers

Weekends:
    0700-0830: Scrambled

0830-0925: Weekend
    Aled & Kate

0925-1030: Saturday Scoop (Sat)
    Stephen Mulhern & Emma Willis
    Sunday Scoop basically

0925-1030: Sunday Side Up
    Kaye Adams & Nadia Swahala

Then for the summer holidays:

0600-0700: Scrambled
    0700-0830: Good Morning Britain
    0830-0925: Lorraine (Mon-Thu)
    0830-0925: Summer Concert Series (Fri)
    With popular bands, competition through the week to give away tickets

And yes, I do have waaaaay too much time on my hands
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Who is Sean Fletcher

The box ticker !
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    Surely September. I doubt they can get everything in place for an Easter launch.

April 28th, It's just a rebrand. It's being made by the same production team as Daybreak and GMTV before it.
  • Options
    tinkerbell987tinkerbell987 Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its a shame Charlotte is leaving Sky, i like her and Eammon Holmes together. i like Ben but don't much care for Susannah.

I really hope ITV change the format as if they don't i can see it being a flop again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    `Cos they reckon that all the dads want to **** her and all the mums want to be her. The thinking goes no further than that.

And they, whoever "they" are - are probably not far wrong.

A valid assessment of her "charms", one could certainly argue.

Shame Susanna isn't staying with the BBC.

As its a shame that Charlotte Hawkins is leaving Sky (remembered who she was then - she follows Eamonn Holmes and co-presents along side him).

Realised who Charlotte Hawkins was then LOL.
  • Options
    MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,234
    Forum Member
    Poor Matt Barbet and Ranvir, always amazing in the 6-7am slot and yet they don't get promoted to the main gig...
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why all the fuss ? Vain girly and camp bloke get job reading pap from autocue.
    So depressing that this is seen by some as being in some way newsworthy. :o
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    The box ticker !

I was certain that someone would post that tiresome remark at some point. Well done, you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just announced now on the BBC News Channel. Watch and laugh when she crashes and burns on ITV!

Rude.