Options

"We reserve that right for the poor, the young, the black and the stupid."

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
Forum Member
✭✭
Famous words spoken by one of the Chief executives of R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company back in the 1990's when asked if any of them smoke?

Maybe these words would have more of an impact than the current "SMOKING KILLS"
if placed on packets today!

Food for thought..

Either way a juicy steak (High Protein) is way more healthy for you :)

Comments

• Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    UKNikey wrote: »
    Either way a juicy steak is way more healthy for you :)

Well it is a proven fact that stakes are bad for the heart just ask Dracula.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The idea of smoking being pitched as a human rights issue, by which huge multi-national tobacco companies prey on the young and poor is intruiging (and I believe that they do promote far higher tar brands in third world countries).

I am not sure what the psychological process is that makes more girls take up smoking than boys in the UK. Perhaps it is because they believe it will keep them slim. But I remember some research on anti-smoking advertising being pitched to teenage girls showed that they didn't give a damn about the photographs of cancerous lungs etc; the only one they reacted to was a couple of good looking boys saying that kissing her would be like kissing an ashtray.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Either way a juicy steak is way more healthy for you :)

Is this line included because of the latest news saying that eating lots of meat and cheese in middle age is as deadly as smoking, according to scientists?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    Is this line included because of the latest news saying that eating lots of meat and cheese in middle age is as deadly as smoking, according to scientists?

Yes it is.
  • Options
    The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate those little pictures they put on the packs. I always draw my own 'friendlier' ones and sellotape them on.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate those little pictures they put on the packs. I always draw my own 'friendlier' ones and sellotape them on.

I wonder if there's been an increase in cigarette cases since the normal packets got so ugly? Or have I just spotted my path to becoming a millionaire??
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the record, the study mentioned in The Telegraph is observational. No experiment/ trials took place. They simply tracked loads of people over 20 years, who could have been doing any number of unhealthy things and came to the conclusion that it must be the protein.

Correlation does not prove causation.
  • Options
    nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    I'm not really aware that ads and marketing were specifically aimed at those groups. It's just that people in those groups will smoke, no matter what warnings are put on the packets. They will carry on smoking regardless of any consequences.
  • Options
    The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if there's been an increase in cigarette cases since the normal packets got so ugly? Or have I just spotted my path to becoming a millionaire??

Go for it - and put me on the top of your mailing list :kitty:
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not sure what the psychological process is that makes more girls take up smoking than boys in the UK. Perhaps it is because they believe it will keep them slim. But I remember some research on anti-smoking advertising being pitched to teenage girls showed that they didn't give a damn about the photographs of cancerous lungs etc; the only one they reacted to was a couple of good looking boys saying that kissing her would be like kissing an ashtray.

Its unfortunate that the young see older people as one homogenous mass, as I noticed once I hit my 30s that it is really noticeable how much older women smokers look than those who don't.

Is that quote in the OP real? I seem to have heard several slightly different versions and from different eras which always gets my 'urban myth' alarm going...
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    Yes it is.

Yes, I heard that report on Radio 4 this morning. I'm taking it with a very large pinch of salt and a mega glass of red wine. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    So only poor, young, black, and stupid people smoke? It just proves advertising has always been a bit weird really.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Famous words spoken by one of the Chief executives of R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company back in the 1990's when asked if any of them smoke?

Food for thought..

Having just heard, on the news whilst driving home, that a high protein diet can be as damaging as smoking 20 cigarettes a day http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/10676877/High-protein-diet-as-bad-for-health-as-smoking.html and yet people still chose to eat a high protein diet, perhaps there should be warnings on high protein foods too ;)

ETA: Yep, I'm tired and should have read the thread first :blush:
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    Having just heard, on the news whilst driving home, that a high protein diet can be as damaging as smoking 20 cigarettes a day http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/10676877/High-protein-diet-as-bad-for-health-as-smoking.html and yet people still chose to eat a high protein diet, perhaps there should be warnings on high protein foods too ;)

ETA: Yep, I'm tired and should have read the thread first :blush:

I agree.
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Food for thought..

No because it's a racist and stupid quote.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Idly glancing at this thread, (I'm a non smoker), reminded me of the late voracious smoking comedian Bill Hick's, assertion, "I only buy the packs that say, 'Smoking when pregnant may harm your baby.'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »

And the poor, young and stupid, it also offends?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmuk wrote: »
    And the poor, young and stupid, it also offends?

That too.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

Well. I can kinda see how it might motivate some to give up. I mean, to essentially tell your customers that you think they're stupid for using your products is not likely to motivate them to buy more of said product, is it?

It is true that smoking is increasingly associated with society's underclass so it is possible that people might give up because of that.

MInd you, I think society has already done more than enough to persuade people to give up smoking. If you continue to smoke, it's your decision. Let's face it, the tax cash comes in awful handy.:D
  • Options
    wordfromthewisewordfromthewise Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid that whoever the executive was from the tobacco company was, they are shockingly racist based on that quote.>:(.Appalling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    I'm afraid that whoever the executive was from the tobacco company was, they are shockingly racist based on that quote.>:(.Appalling.

Er, why is it racist? What if smoking is disproportionately higher amongst black people than white people? You would expect the guy to know his customer demographics, after all. Perhaps it was simply a statement of fact.
  • Options
    wordfromthewisewordfromthewise Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Er, why is it racist? What if smoking is disproportionately higher amongst black people than white people? You would expect the guy to know his customer demographics, after all. Perhaps it was simply a statement of fact.

For starters :Anything that assumes that all black people or any group of peopleof any race for that matter are the same is inherently racist IMO.

The remark is dismissive,disrespectful and uses 'blackness' perjoratively.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For starters :Anything that assumes that all black people or any group of peopleof any race for that matter are the same is inherently racist IMO.

This.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This maybe the source of the quote - from the New York Times archives for 1993.
    The article goes on to document a rather deliberate campaign to recruit new smokers from the black population by sponsorship of black groups.
    It does point out that the groups themselves seem rather blinkered to the fact that by taking the cash they are supporting an industry that kills so many of the people they are supposed to be helping.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Even if I accept your rather odd definition of racism, it's not what he's doing, is it?

He's saying that smoking is disproportionately higher among black people than white people, which may or may not be correct. Either way, it is not racist, any more than his similar comment about the poor was 'poorist'.