Options

The Returned (Les Revenants) heading to Channel 4 - spoilers in tags (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    sanfran1sanfran1 Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    No-one knows but we suspect that the strange dark hairy marks are something to do with the returnees deteriorating the longer that they are returned. The thinking is that Lena was getting that mark due to "the twin thing".

• Options
    DimsieDimsie Posts: 2,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally Posted by manc2008
    Yep.

The respect in which it compares to Lost is the cynical approach to storytelling. From the start, there is never any intention to explain or resolve anything. It's all about building hype so viewing figures rise. In the end, you feel you've wasted your time as you're never going to find out if the hunches you had and guesses you made were right. So whats the point in investing? Look at the number of posts on here trying to work things out - all a total waste of time.

Abandoned plot threads is seen as a bad thing in books and films. Yet do it in a TV series and you'll have people fawning over how 'post-modern' it is. Utter nonsense. It's a deliberate way of stringing viewers along so they'll keep watching. And people still think they'll have all this stuff answered in Series 2. They won't. Nothing will ever be explained or resolved.

I think there's a tricky balance between tying up story developments and leaving enough unexplained so that you're not being spoon-fed. Les Revenants doesn't manage it (it doesn't even attempt it). Engrenages does. So does The Sopranos, The Wire, Borgen and various other truly great series.

This is a show designed to create hype. The viewers are strung along with tantalising developments that actually are never going anywhere.
    anielled wrote: »
    Spot on. I guess a few savvy amongst us will engage in more productive programmes and not watch the rest of 'Perdu'.
    It might bother some people if there are things left unexplained, but not me. I enjoyed everything about the series - the mysteries, the atmosphere, the acting, the relationships, the scenery - and it doesn't bother me a jot if there are still questions left unanswered when it finally ends. Of course everything possible is done to maximise viewing figures, all tv shows do that. I presume those who produced it wanted a success on their hands, not a failure, in terms of viewer numbers.

I've also enjoyed the discussion here, the various explanations that people have come up with for some of the more puzzling things that've happened. If the writers can't think of a way to explain some of the things they've written, at least DS posters can help them out! I'm not expecting my world view to be changed by some wonderful revelations in series 2, I'm just looking forward to some more hours of real enjoyment on Sunday nights (I hope they stick to Sundays when it comes back). Long live The Returned! (um, well, maybe not long lived, but YKWIM). :D
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think if people like things to be 'tied up' or clearly explained then les revenants might not be for them. It's whole raison d'être is that it delights in the slow reveal, the half-explanation, the mis-direction. It's rather like real life in that way and it has been like this from the first episode.
  • Options
    Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dimsie wrote: »
    It might bother some people if there are things left unexplained, but not me. I enjoyed everything about the series - the mysteries, the atmosphere, the acting, the relationships, the scenery - and it doesn't bother me a jot if there are still questions left unanswered when it finally ends.
    I think if people like things to be 'tied up' or clearly explained then les revenants might not be for them. It's whole raison d'être is that it delights in the slow reveal, the half-explanation, the mis-direction. It's rather like real life in that way and it has been like this from the first episode.

If something weird or mysterious happens, I enjoy it and don't expect an instant explanation. I enjoy the mysteries, the atmosphere, etc. I enjoy the half-explanation, the mis-direction, etc.

So I enjoyed series 1 thoroughly. But. The problem comes with series 2. You then expect things not to be resolved. When something mysterious happens, you think differently. You no longer think - great mystery, etc. You now think - here's a gimmick that wont be explained.

I've no idea how long that will sustain my interest for. I suspect not long.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s224/the-returned/interviews/a512566/the-returned-pierre-perrier-series-2-could-be-like-rosemarys-baby.html

Just thought I would share this in case anyone's missed it, its an interview with the guy who played Simon, he seems very nice.
  • Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s224/the-returned/interviews/a512566/the-returned-pierre-perrier-series-2-could-be-like-rosemarys-baby.html

Just thought I would share this in case anyone's missed it, its an interview with the guy who played Simon, he seems very nice.

Thank you - I had missed it. I like his comment that people in London were asking him what happens in Series 2.
  • Options
    TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worrying thing from that interview is it confirms that the writers are making stuff up as they go along.
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is what he says:

"I read everything at the beginning - we had all the info. But Fabrice [Gobert] - the main author and director - was amazing because he was always rewriting and putting more subtleties into it - overnight and overnight…

"Every morning he came with [new] little details. He was always very open-minded to suggestions, so there was a lot of rewriting. We knew exactly where we were going, but always with some surprises from Fabrice!"

This process occurs with most scripts both on screen and in the theatre as part of the fine-tuning process. Good to see the writer so engaged in the creative process. It bodes well for S2.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    TommyNooka wrote: »
    The worrying thing from that interview is it confirms that the writers are making stuff up as they go along.

I took it to mean that the writer was adding little flourishes to the script rather than constantly messing about with the main storylines
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is what he says:

" We knew exactly where we were going, but always with some surprises from Fabrice!".

That would indicate, to me anyway, there is a complete story.
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »

All I have to ask is why? What's the point? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    DartGuruDartGuru Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I have to ask is why? What's the point? :rolleyes:

Money. A good series, but how many USAnians have the attention span to watch something with subtitles ?
    Jazz it up, put a few pert cheerleaders in it and a bit of buff and, viola, you have a ratings hit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    DartGuru wrote: »
    Money. A good series, but how many USAnians have the attention span to watch something with subtitles ?
    Jazz it up, put a few pert cheerleaders in it and a bit of buff and, viola, you have a ratings hit.

They probably thought the same about their remake of The Killing and look what happened there

As for why they are doing a remake of The Returned... they probably heard the word zombie in the publicity for the show and thought "Hang on, maybe we can have our own version of The Walking Dead"
  • Options
    lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They probably thought the same about their remake of The Killing and look what happened there

Actually their seasons of The Killing was critically acclaimed, despite its axing, the third season in particular was very good.
  • Options
    northgirlnorthgirl Posts: 1,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if it is a remake as I understood a TV show was being made that is based on the book by Jason Mott that has a totally different storyline just the same name or maybe they are making both as they have renamed that TV show Resurrection.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    northgirl wrote: »
    I don't know if it is a remake as I understood a TV show was being made that is based on the book by Jason Mott that has a totally different storyline just the same name or maybe they are making both as they have renamed that TV show Resurrection.

Resurrection has nothing whatsoever to do with The Returned. Resurrection is based on a book, even the book has nothing to do with The Returned. It's just people jumping the gun.

The US remake of The Returned will be based on the French show.
  • Options
    RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Resurrection has nothing whatsoever to do with The Returned. Resurrection is based on a book, even the book has nothing to do with The Returned. It's just people jumping the gun.

The US remake of The Returned will be based on the French show.

I will watch the us remake. I did not watch the french version because it was in french. if they dubbed it into english I would have watched it
  • Options
    2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just an alert that The Returned is returning for a rerun in a couple of hours from now, 2.25 a.m. on More4.
  • Options
    allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone heard when TR returns? I thought I saw a generic trail saying it was coming soon... or was that wishful thinking?
  • Options
    AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allie4 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard when TR returns? I thought I saw a generic trail saying it was coming soon... or was that wishful thinking?

I think it will be back on in late 2014 I think.I bought the Mogwai soundtrack it really catch the feeling of the show,with the dusk setting.

I wonder if more 4 or film4 will air Goberts Lights out that became a demon for the show.
  • Options
    AKFEAKFE Posts: 6,880
    Forum Member
    Good to see The Returned came second in a TV critics' poll of 2013 television. Hope we get more in 2014.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,064
    Forum Member
    The Returned was shown in America on a cable tv channel and finished in quite a few American tv critic's top 10 shows of 2013 list.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member

:( (and yes, I did have to stick it in to google translate :blush: )

Still going to be a problem with Victor especially, surely creepy boy will have grown a fair amount in the time in between filming :confused: