Options

Pining for Game of Thrones

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    Just an extra note re Red Wedding for those that have the BD box set. Watch that scene again but with the Directors/actors commentary.
    Listening to the emmotional reactions of the actors who play Robb and Cat watching their onscreen deaths and final scenes play out really brings a tear to the eye.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Check out this monstrosity …

https://soundcloud.com/catchthethrone

Apparently GOT is working on appealing to a younger demographic through the power of 'rap'!

I could only handle 10 secs of the final track that samples the opening credits theme, what were they thinking?!?!
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Synopsis' for the First Four Episodes.
    Episode #31: “Two Swords”
    Debut: SUNDAY, APRIL 6 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT)
    Tyrion (Peter Dinklage) welcomes a guest to King’s Landing. At Castle Black, Jon Snow (Kit Harington) finds himself unwelcome. Dany (Emilia Clarke) is pointed to Meereen, the mother of all slave cities. Arya (Maisie Williams) runs into an old friend.

Episode #32: “The Lion and the Rose”
    Debut: SUNDAY, APRIL 13 (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
    Tyrion lends Jaime (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) a hand. Joffrey (Jack Gleeson) and Margaery (Natalie Dormer) host a breakfast. At Dragonstone, Stannis (Stephen Dillane) loses patience with Davos (Liam Cunningham). Ramsay (Iwan Rheon) finds a purpose for his pet. North of the Wall, Bran (Isaac Hempstead Wright) sees where they must go.

Episode #33: “Breaker of Chains”
    Debut: SUNDAY, APRIL 20 (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
    Tyrion ponders his options. Tywin (Charles Dance) extends an olive branch. Sam (John Bradley) realizes Castle Black isn’t safe, and Jon proposes a bold plan. The Hound (Rory McCann) teaches Arya the way things are. Dany chooses her champion.

Episode #34: “Oathkeeper”
    Debut: SUNDAY, APRIL 27 (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
    Dany balances justice and mercy. Jaime tasks Brienne (Gwendoline Christie) with his honor. Jon secures volunteers while Bran, Jojen (Thomas Brodie-Sangster), Meera (Ellie Kendrick) and Hodor (Kristian Nairn) stumble on shelter.

As usual these are fairly vague but anyone who knows the story can work out what most of them probably mean.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dbob wrote: »
    Check out this monstrosity …

https://soundcloud.com/catchthethrone

Apparently GOT is working on appealing to a younger demographic through the power of 'rap'!

I could only handle 10 secs of the final track that samples the opening credits theme, what were they thinking?!?!
    I'm not even going to bother trying it, and Game of Thrones is my favourite thing ever. I, like you, think 'what the hell were they thinking'. Definitely not for me. :blush:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Synopsis' for the First Four Episodes.
    Episode #31: “Two Swords”
    Debut: SUNDAY, APRIL 6 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT)
    Tyrion (Peter Dinklage) welcomes a guest to King’s Landing. At Castle Black, Jon Snow (Kit Harington) finds himself unwelcome. Dany (Emilia Clarke) is pointed to Meereen, the mother of all slave cities. Arya (Maisie Williams) runs into an old friend.

Episode #32: “The Lion and the Rose”
    Debut: SUNDAY, APRIL 13 (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
    Tyrion lends Jaime (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) a hand. Joffrey (Jack Gleeson) and Margaery (Natalie Dormer) host a breakfast. At Dragonstone, Stannis (Stephen Dillane) loses patience with Davos (Liam Cunningham). Ramsay (Iwan Rheon) finds a purpose for his pet. North of the Wall, Bran (Isaac Hempstead Wright) sees where they must go.

Episode #33: “Breaker of Chains”
    Debut: SUNDAY, APRIL 20 (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
    Tyrion ponders his options. Tywin (Charles Dance) extends an olive branch. Sam (John Bradley) realizes Castle Black isn’t safe, and Jon proposes a bold plan. The Hound (Rory McCann) teaches Arya the way things are. Dany chooses her champion.

Episode #34: “Oathkeeper”
    Debut: SUNDAY, APRIL 27 (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
    Dany balances justice and mercy. Jaime tasks Brienne (Gwendoline Christie) with his honor. Jon secures volunteers while Bran, Jojen (Thomas Brodie-Sangster), Meera (Ellie Kendrick) and Hodor (Kristian Nairn) stumble on shelter.

As usual these are fairly vague but anyone who knows the story can work out what most of them probably mean.
    Thanks for that :) not long 'till April now! (but still too long)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rosaliee wrote: »
    Thanks for that :) not long 'till April now! (but still too long)

Another trailer due out tomorrow to help with the waiting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    Another trailer due out tomorrow to help with the waiting.

I don't get this fascination with endless trailers and previews. Personally I like to go into the next season without any idea of what may possibly happen or what new characters may turn up. For me it's just spoiling the surprise. What's wrong with just waiting a few weeks. I've had too many films give away the best stuff in their trailers so tend to avoid them all now.
  • Options
    PeedubPeedub Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Apparently the box sets start tomorrow again on Sky On Demand. I for one plan to catch up with all 3 seasons so I'm ready to roll right into it on 7th April.
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm halfway thru book three, so, I'm getting up to scratch.... Question is, do I hold back on book four until i've seen series four..?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mr muggles wrote: »
    I'm halfway thru book three, so, I'm getting up to scratch.... Question is, do I hold back on book four until i've seen series four..?!

A lot of stuff in Season 4 is actually from Book 3 so if you want to watch the show before reading the corresponding book material you might want to stop reading now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cannot wait for this show to come back, even more so since watching the latest trailer. Even tho it airs here a day after, I will be obtaining it as I despise the amount of adverts on Sky Atlantic. Naughty I know, but for me personally like any other cult series, Game of Thrones has to be watched from beginning to end without interruptions from adverts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Season 4 is partly the remaining Book 3 material and partially some Book 4 and 5 material, so it depends on what you want to do. If you want to see the developments on the show first, I'd hold fire on Book 3 (and especially the second half). If you want to read the books first, you'd pretty much to need to read right up to date ASAP.
  • Options
    KookyKatieKookyKatie Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dbob wrote: »
    I don't get this fascination with endless trailers and previews. Personally I like to go into the next season without any idea of what may possibly happen or what new characters may turn up. For me it's just spoiling the surprise. What's wrong with just waiting a few weeks. I've had too many films give away the best stuff in their trailers so tend to avoid them all now.

That depends on how affected you are by spoilers. Some people's reactions to minor spoilers strike me as rather melodramatic (but of course, I do my best to respect their wishes). They almost never bug me unless they're related to some genuinely immense surprise that I would never have believed was coming.

For example, if I hadn't already read the books, I would have hated being forewarned of Ned's execution in Season 1. But if someone had spoiled the fact that Littlefinger has a chat with Catelyn and Eddard in a whorehouse, I wouldn't have been bothered at all. It in no way would detract from my enjoyment of the show.

Anyway, the new trailer looks absolutely epic. I got goosebumps watching it! They've really splashed out on the CGI budget - it looks better than movie quality in places.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cannot wait for this show to come back, even more so since watching the latest trailer. Even tho it airs here a day after, I will be obtaining it as I despise the amount of adverts on Sky Atlantic. Naughty I know, but for me personally like any other cult series, Game of Thrones has to be watched from beginning to end without interruptions from adverts.

Sky Plus it and fast-forward through the ads. Watching the show on TV helps the show more than if you acquire it through other means.

Or buy the DVDs later. Just give back somehow, because TV producers need to see that there is a big return in making quality television.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find Game of thrones is better viewed in a binge watch. I will wait for all of season 4 to air and then watch it. That way i am not waiting a week for the next installment, to then forget what happened previously when the new episode airs. As someone who does find it difficult for taking in things, i enjoy much more that way.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KookyKatie wrote: »
    Sky Plus it and fast-forward through the ads. Watching the show on TV helps the show more than if you acquire it through other means.

Or buy the DVDs later. Just give back somehow, because TV producers need to see that there is a big return in making quality television.

I proudly own all of the Blu-rays made so far, I only keep the original downloaded file, should I wish to watch them on my tablet or on my TV in the bedroom via DLNA
  • Options
    srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find Game of thrones is better viewed in a binge watch. I will wait for all of season 4 to air and then watch it. That way i am not waiting a week for the next installment, to then forget what happened previously when the new episode airs. As someone who does find it difficult for taking in things, i enjoy much more that way.

The problem with that approach is you miss the discussion on here. GoT threads are amongst the most lively on DS these days.
  • Options
    srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That depends on how affected you are by spoilers. Some people's reactions to minor spoilers strike me as rather melodramatic (but of course, I do my best to respect their wishes). They almost never bug me unless they're related to some genuinely immense surprise that I would never have believed was coming.

yeah, and GoT threads are prone to becoming pages of whining about spoilers over the most minor things.
    The Season 2 thread went batsh*t crazy when someone (who hadn't read the books but made an assumption) Wondered how the House of Undying would look. Not spoiling any events or deaths or anything really.
    Sometimes I think we need three threads.
    Booke Readers thread.
    General non spoiler thread.
    bookophobic thread where the fact that there are books can't even be mentioned. Useful for about six people but still...
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    srhDS wrote: »
    yeah, and GoT threads are prone to becoming pages of whining about spoilers over the most minor things.
    The Season 2 thread went batsh*t crazy when someone (who hadn't read the books but made an assumption) Wondered how the House of Undying would look. Not spoiling any events or deaths or anything really.
    Booke Readers thread.
    bookophobic thread where the fact that there are books can't even be mentioned. Useful for about six people but still...

The point of that 'discussion' was to point out that a book reader can give away more than he thinks by a seemingly innocuous comment and that it would be well for book readers to be careful in posting anything related to future events. The reason it got crazy is because some people wouldn't accept what really ought to have been a perfectly obvious and reasonable request.
  • Options
    jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red wedding has to be one of the best hours of my life i have seen in television in my short life

I was a late comer to GOT and i had seen Season 3 about 4/5 months after it aired and i was aware a particular event really took the press and fans by storm but was oblivious. My god, my jaw couldn't have dropped any lower. Amazing.

Couldn't agree more. Haven't read books (and have no intention) so try and avoid all spoilers where possible.

Am curious to see what Jon Snow knows this season :D. How much more of a dick Joffrey can be. And when the frak will the White Walkers reach the Wall.
  • Options
    Arwen_EvenstarArwen_Evenstar Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Dvds won't be out for a year, just before the S5 premier no way would anyone sane wait until then :o

HBO must know their strategy of releasing a year after broadcast only encourages piracy and streaming, so I don't have any sympathy for them.

I have a Now TV box with Entertainment Pass so will either watch live or wait until it's on Catch up, so no ads, and as each episode will be there for 30 days I can re-watch just before the next one :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I proudly own all of the Blu-rays made so far, I only keep the original downloaded file, should I wish to watch them on my tablet or on my TV in the bedroom via DLNA

Good stuff. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    srhDS wrote: »
    Booke Readers thread.

Ah, The Great Flame War of Season 2. I remember it well - the thunder of keyboard warriors riding to battle, the killing fields littered with Inactive Members and the silent fury of the smallfolk who saw their threads derailed. War is cruel. :(

It's always been a bit too touchy in these parts for my liking, so I usually just head over to the Westeros forum for ASOIAF discussion. It helps that there are clearly defined rules for each forum there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    jeff_vader wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. Haven't read books (and have no intention) so try and avoid all spoilers where possible.

Am curious to see what Jon Snow knows this season :D. How much more of a dick Joffrey can be. And when the frak will the White Walkers reach the Wall.

The White Walkers will reach the wall when Dany conquers a city with a coastline that faces Westeros. As she's still appears to be in the middle of a dessert I give it at least another 3 years. My husband has read the books (I gave up midway through the first part of book 3) & finds my assumption amusing.