Options

Malaysian Airline 777 missing 239 feared dead

Comments

• Options
    KosciuskoKosciusko Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Where does that leave the co-pilot in this scenario? :confused:

if it was suicide, wouldn't the pilot have to get rid t=of the co-pilot, and the only way to do this would to get him to leave the cabin, and then lock the door

So could the cabin door when shut be opened by the co-pilot, or would the captain have to do this
  • Options
    DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am starting to think it was some kind of explosion so they didn't have time to report anything.
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Until they find out more about the passengers travelling on stolen passports and until they locate the wreckage of the plane or at least the black box, I think it is unfair (to the pilot and his family) for the authorities to suggest that it may have been pilot suicide. For all they know he could have been trying to save the plane.

It doesn't seem to have been a terrorist attack since no-one has claimed responsibility.

A complete lack of debris (so far) suggests an explosion didn't happen in the air.

If the plane entered the water intact (and slowly enough to not break up), it could have been a sudden technical fault (including communications) where the pilot tried to make a safe landing on water and failed. People have commented that no passengers phoned, but maybe there is no signal so far out at sea or perhaps they were just too busy preparing for an emergency landing?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    while it's obviously not impossible that the plane may have ditched at sea and quickly sunk, ask yourself what you'd do if you were on a commercial airliner and the captain came over the tannoy and informed you that he has to ditch in the ocean.

one of your first instincts would very likely be to ring your loved ones just in case.

the amount of time it would have taken to descend from 35,000 feet to safely ditch in the sea would have give people more than enough time to make some form of contact with the outside world.

even if the plane had suffered some kind of catastrophic power failure that had fried all of the electrics and had started an emergency descent to ditch, i can't imagine nobody would have tried to ring out.

for me, the only logical explanation that fits the lack of debris (at the moment) is a mid-air explosion due to some kind of technical failure on a massive level.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    The mystery surrounding this lost airliner would make for a great TV show.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    following copied from Pilots board -

>>>>>
    This is still Google translated so careful...

1400 local: Singapore's C130 is said to have sighted "a suspected lifeboat-like object" at N081605 E1025111, 140 km SW of Tho Chu island.

"Physical comfort is detected lifeboat gray striped red and blue (the color logo of Malaysia). "

[The report appears to suggest the object is emergency chute size. But I have never heard chutes are be painted in airline livery colors....]

Surface vessels on their way to investigate.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that would just be beyond belief it was a lifeboat with survivors ..

you can almost hear the cogs creaking in to life in hollywood ..
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It must be torture for those who have loved ones on that plane :(
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kosciusko wrote: »
    if it was suicide, wouldn't the pilot have to get rid t=of the co-pilot, and the only way to do this would to get him to leave the cabin, and then lock the door

So could the cabin door when shut be opened by the co-pilot, or would the captain have to do this

Think they can lock each other out (cf recent Ethiopian Air copilot hijacking own plane and seeking asylum in Geneva).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    What has happened here is so sad. I can't imagine how friends/family must be feeling.

Apparently only a handful of countries actually check its databases on stolen passports? I hope they further tighten security at airports.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kosciusko wrote: »

This happened only a few weeks ago when a co-pilot locked his captain out of the cabin then flew on to Geneva asking for asylum, so it can happen.
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    An excellent documentary was screened on it and the full version can be watched here. It involves some brilliant detective work, extremely clever metallurgist, and a sharp Lawyer. It cost an American company $44 million in compensation.

It's very fascinating, intense, and the outcome will surprise you but rather than spoil it, i'd rather you watched it.
    Thanks for the link. I have just watched the documentary and you're right - it is very interesting.
  • Options
    Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    I'm starting to wonder whether it has been landed somewhere. This is all very bizarre.
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    It involves some brilliant detective work, extremely clever metallurgist, and a sharp Lawyer. It cost an American company $44 million in compensation.

In a court case which didn't even consider the findings of the NTSB.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom_Tit wrote: »
    I'm starting to wonder whether it has been landed somewhere. This is all very bizarre.

Why? The search is taking place over hundreds of square miles.......a huge area to have to search even with numerous planes and ships if there is little debris. And remember, the seas are littered with floating debris and oil slicks. How could the plane have landed anywhere without its trail being picked up by radar, not to mention by any people near where it landed?

Not everything has an instantaneous explanation
  • Options
    all_nightall_night Posts: 7,619
    Forum Member
    I find it scary that they cannot keep track, or have no idea what happened. They think it has gone down where it lost radar - near Ca Mau - and then widen search to Malacca Strait. The strait is on other side of Malaysia. No wonder families are very angry.

AFP: Malaysia police chief says one of the stolen passport users on missing Malaysia Airlines plane has been identified

Update - Vietnam Civil Aviation Body says "yellow object" floating in the sea is not a life raft from the missing Malaysia Airlines plane
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the one hand it is a very big place to search, but on the other the first sighting of debris from the Air France flight was within 1-2 days, and that was over a much bigger, deeper ocean in bad weather with a two-day sail from the nearest land.
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom_Tit wrote: »

I'm sure I read somewhere (in fact, it's probably in this thread, if I chose to read it all) that at some point, someone made radio contact with the plane and received a mumbled reply which, if true, would go against the idea of a sudden explosion...
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why has no one discussed the possibility of the plane being moved to an alternate/parallel universe?
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why has no one discussed the possibility of the plane being moved to an alternate/parallel universe?
    To be honest I am beginning to wonder whether Kim Jong Un might have a hand in this :(.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spkx wrote: »
    On the one hand it is a very big place to search, but on the other the first sighting of debris from the Air France flight was within 1-2 days, and that was over a much bigger, deeper ocean in bad weather with a two-day sail from the nearest land.
    You are right, even Air France they found debris immediately. This one nothing.

There is a very high possibility that the plane did not crash but was in fact, stolen.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't want to make light of the situation, but Lost had crossed my mind.
  • Options
    MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    while it's obviously not impossible that the plane may have ditched at sea and quickly sunk, ask yourself what you'd do if you were on a commercial airliner and the captain came over the tannoy and informed you that he has to ditch in the ocean.

one of your first instincts would very likely be to ring your loved ones just in case.

You've never been on a plane before have you. You wouldn't get a signal.:kitty:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are right, even Air France they found debris immediately. This one nothing.

There is a very high possibility that the plane did not crash but was in fact, stolen.

How do you steal a plane midflight? What about the passengers?
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1MJ1 wrote: »
    How do you steal a plane midflight? What about the passengers?
    Maybe it's been forced to dock in Kim Jong Un's secret undersea lair, and all the passengers are now his slaves :(.
This discussion has been closed.