Options

Led Zeppelin's fourth album

bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
Forum Member
✭✭
One for the rock fans, What do you call this album as it was famously untitled when released in 1971. It just contained a picture of a man with sticks and four symbols (Runes) on the side.

Now I call it Led Zeppelin IV but I have seen it called many things by others, Four Symbols, The Fourth Album, Runes and just plain Untitled.

Classic album which contains one of their best known songs, Stairway To Heaven.

Comments

• Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Led Zeppelin 4 or Led Zeppelin's 4th.
    And whilst 'Stairway to Heaven' may be one of their most famous songs, it isn't the best one on the album.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Led Zeppelin 4 or Led Zeppelin's 4th.
    And whilst 'Stairway to Heaven' may be one of their most famous songs, it isn't the best one on the album.

Yes your right. for me that honour goes to When The Levee Breaks. Bonzo's drum sound on that is immense.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Yes your right. for me that honour goes to When The Levee Breaks. Bonzo's drum sound on that is immense.

I'm rather partial to the opener, Black Dog, myself.

Also, I love Going to California.

True classic album
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm rather partial to the opener, Black Dog, myself.

Also, I love Going to California.

True classic album

Yes the two softer songs Going To California and The Battle of Evermore are lovely. Sandy Dennys beautiful voice on the latter one too.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, 'Black Dog', 'Rock N'Roll', Going to California', 'When the Levee Breaks'... All ahead of 'Stairway'. Of course there's nothing weak on it either!
  • Options
    DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah Stairway gets better in the second half of the song when they pick up the tempo, but all in all what a sublime album.

Takes me back to the seventies when all was good in the world (not really but oh life was so much easier then)
  • Options
    shankly123shankly123 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw Zeppelin in the November after that album was released - it was the first concert I'd ever been to and I don't think I've ever seen a better one. I always just call the album Led Zep IV - officially it's untitled, so i suppose you can call it whatever you want.
    It is a classic album - but so are LZ I, II and III - and Physical Grafitti. The rest of the albums are pretty good too.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I bought it, on release, Stairway stood out a mile as the best track, but I think familiarity, and over play lessen the impact, as it does with all classics.

I just call it Led Zep 4. I actually prefer 1 and 2.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    This album was on Pointless the other week.

I nominated ' Four Sticks' as probably the 'pointless' track.

In fact, 5, yes five, tracks were 'pointless'. Black Dog and Rock & Roll being just 1 point each!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    This album was on Pointless the other week.

I nominated ' Four Sticks' as probably the 'pointless' track.

In fact, 5, yes five, tracks were 'pointless'. Black Dog and Rock & Roll being just 1 point each!

Yes - I remember that well - it's the only time I've ever got 3 Pointless answers!

Four sticks, Misty Mountain Hop & When the levee breaks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    shankly123 wrote: »
    Yes - I remember that well - it's the only time I've ever got 3 Pointless answers!

Four sticks, Misty Mountain Hop & When the levee breaks.

It's a sad state of affairs when Stairway is really the only track people know.
    As someone stated earlier, it's not even the best one on the album. For me, that's The Battle Of Evermore.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    When I bought it, on release, Stairway stood out a mile as the best track, but I think familiarity, and over play lessen the impact, as it does with all classics.

I just call it Led Zep 4. I actually prefer 1 and 2.

Yes, that's what I've always known it as & how it was always referred to back in the day.
  • Options
    icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meh.They could just have taken all the good tracks from all their albums and made one fantastic album .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ic wrote: »
    Meh.They could just have taken all the good tracks from all their albums and made one fantastic album .

Nah - It'd have to be at least a quintuple album set to do that!
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,652
    Forum Member
    I have I thru IV, HotH and PG as a straight through playlist on my MP3 player.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For those who are interested, LZ I,II,III have been remastered and are being reissued with a disc of bonus tracks each in June. The LZI bonus is a live show from Paris 10/10/69 which should be especially tempting.
  • Options
    Forum Member

They sort of did. It's called "Physical Graffiti".
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That would have been one hell of an album.
  • Options
    Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Led Zeppelin 4.
  • Options
    Zeppelyn56Zeppelyn56 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    shankly123 wrote: »
    For those who are interested, LZ I,II,III have been remastered and are being reissued with a disc of bonus tracks each in June. The LZI bonus is a live show from Paris 10/10/69 which should be especially tempting.

Anybody got any ideas what the bonus tracks are, there's basically nothing not released.is there, Physical Graffiti used a lot of unreleased stuff at the time.

Was always know as Led Zeppelin 4 in these parts.
  • Options
    DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think when I watched the film The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo it made me want to listen to other songs by Led Zeppelin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0bD4ts8eWY
  • Options
    MissliMissli Posts: 3,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recently bought Mothership by them which supposedly contains all their greatest hit, but it misses 'The Battle of Evermore' and 'Four Sticks' personal favourites of mine.

I had 1, 2, 3, and 4 of their albums, but sadly lost the fourth. Might have to buy purely for the above songs.

Love most of their other stuff, so would recommend buying Mothership.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zeppelyn56 wrote: »
    Anybody got any ideas what the bonus tracks are, there's basically nothing not released.is there, Physical Graffiti used a lot of unreleased stuff at the time.

Was always know as Led Zeppelin 4 in these parts.

afaik, it's mostly demos and alt versions of released songs. Jimmy has said that there is nothing at all from LZI, so the bonus disc is a live show from Paris in 1969.

I'll be interested to see how much of it is stuff that we don't already have in 'unofficial' form.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re the above - I've just received an email from an LZ mailing list which includes this link

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/led-zeppelin-box-sets-and-deluxe-cd-and-vinyl-reissues-in-june/
  • Options
    balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    One for the rock fans, What do you call this album as it was famously untitled when released in 1971. It just contained a picture of a man with sticks and four symbols (Runes) on the side.

Now I call it Led Zeppelin IV but I have seen it called many things by others, Four Symbols, The Fourth Album, Runes and just plain Untitled.

Usually the fourth album, it was a bit brave at the time to release a album with no wording on the cover.